Shaving

BobM

Re: Shaving
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2012, 01:42 pm »
I find that shaving as soon as I get out of the shower works best. My beard is soft and comes off easily. I use basic $1.79 shaving foam from Target and a Gillette Mach 3 razor. Electric razors always gave me a rash and never got close enough.

Jumpin

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2012, 03:52 pm »
Good tip BobM.  I worked for Gillette for 18 years.  The blade technology, and as important, the coatings, are unbeatable.  The water is absorbed by your beard and makes the whiskers easier to cut.  If you do not shower, throw some water on your face before applying the shave cream.   Most shaving creams are soap based.  If you easily irritate, stay away from them.  Find one that does not "lather up".  Also easier to shave around your beard and mustache without all that lather.  I found a good after shave that helps reduce irritation.  It's called "Tend Skin".  You can find it in most drugstores.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2012, 04:33 pm »
Gillette made the best razor in the word in the mid to late '60's. The gold plated adjustable Diplomat. It's still the best razor ever made,IMO. They haven't done so well since. And for those of you using shaving cream in a can, read the ingredients. You may want to reconsider.

Doc.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #23 on: 11 Oct 2012, 02:55 pm »
Here is some interesting advise on how to make your own pre-shave oil for pennies on the dollar (compared to the commercial products).

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1I7XL1F9NX8BD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1I7XL1F9NX8BD

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2012, 12:37 am »
Super cool.

Thanks!  :thumb:

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2012, 05:00 pm »
Atiplasma,
Thanks for the link to that amazon site. I presently use Somersets pre lube oil which cost about #13/bottle and helps to soften the growth.
Looking forward to being the alchemist.

Gooberdude,
Big thanks for the heads up on Cremo Cream. Damn fine product. A little goes a real long way and I can still use the badger brush. Cleans up nice and leaves absolutely no residue on the razor. In fact, it looks brand new and polishes up quite brightly. It was on the 3rd pass that I noticed I was getting little to no resistance and my face felt less tighter, more relaxed when finished. All in all, a great product and if you go to CVS and get some, there is a rebate offer for the entire amount!
Go yea and get some.

All the best,
Nonoise

DS-21

« Reply #26 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:21 pm »
I think technique matters much more than gear.

The important things are to make sure your face is warm and wet, and to work up the shaving soap to a lather using a decent badger-hair shaving brush. (Boar's hair is considerably coarser; also, I'm pretty sure it's not halal or kosher to use pig hair on one's face.) And never drag the blade over bare skin; always have an intervening layer of lather. And then, when done, cover the face with a washcloth soaked in cold water. Don't rub, just press.

I'm not sure that the soap one uses is as important as technique (assuming it doesn't contain ingredients that irritate your particular skin), but FWIW the one I use is Knize Ten from the peerless Viennese men's tailoring atelier Knize. (OK, Knize does have a few peers; Paris's Charvet, and maybe London's Rubinacci London House are on the same level as Knize.) It's a bit pricey, but works as well as anything and comes in an attractive wooden bowl that one can refill. It goes well with Knize Ten cologne, obviously, but also with my other favorite (and sadly discontinued) off-the-peg scent, Creed's Green Valley.

As for blade, I've tried DE (I have a beautiful ivory and silver handle my great grandfather bought at Asprey in his youth), Gilette Fusion, the Schick/Wilkerson Sword bendy one, etc. But keep coming back to the original Mach 3. The Fusion is unwieldy, and the M3 just seems to work well for me.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #27 on: 9 Nov 2012, 03:50 pm »
For the last couple of weeks I've been using the DIY preshave detailed here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1I7XL1F9NX8BD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1I7XL1F9NX8BD.

Something seems to be working since I have few of the little nicks that always used to result from my daily shave.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #28 on: 9 Nov 2012, 04:20 pm »
Has anybody tried any of the various devices out there that claim to sharpen razor blade cartridges? I know of a "leather strop" type as well as a battery powered one.

I get a ticked off at how fast they seem to get dull and need replacing and wondered if any of the sharpeners is worthwhile in order to extend the useful life of a cartridge.

The darn things just keep getting more and more expensive. I try to save a few bucks and buy them at Costco. They used to carry the Mach 3 cartridge refills, which was my favorite. They slowly switched over to the big 5 blade type and phased the Mach 3 out. I gave in and swithed over simply due to the convenience factor, but if any of the sharpeners work, I may go back to the Mach 3 if I can extend the life of the blades.

Nothing makes a bigger difference to me then a fresh, sharp blade.  :green:

gooberdude

« Reply #29 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:11 pm »
For several years I used the As Seen on TV blade sharpener, it definitely works.  At one time I used the same Mach 5 blade for about 12 months.

The biggest issue I had was that all the little rubber nubs on the face of the Mach 5 blade also get shaved away after a while, so that on the one hand you have a constanly sharp blade but then all the other stuff that helps the blade glide across your face disappears.

What I do now is simple, I just use a Q Tip on the razor's face after each use.  Razor blades don't actually get dull, they just get gunked up with calcium, lime & rust.   The As Seen on TV sharpener (can purchase at Walgreens, CVS, etc) simply has a piece of sandpaper that rotates quickly to remove the particles that settle on the blades. 

using my Q Tip method, these days I replace the disposal blades about 1x each month. 

Devil Doc

« Reply #30 on: 9 Nov 2012, 08:47 pm »
Double edge blades are to multiple edge blades as a VPI classic 3 is to a Rega RP-1, or worse...a CD player.
Think about it for a minute. Shaving soap is a lubricant. It protects your face from abrasion. With a multiple blade razor your ugly mug is only protected as the first blade passes by. What about the other 2 or 4 or whatever the blade bandits have come up with?

Doc

drab

« Reply #31 on: 9 Nov 2012, 09:56 pm »
I shave in the shower and have for over 20 years. The hot water and steam from the shower softens your beard really well. When I first started it was difficult shaving without a mirror and took a lot of time. After a short while I got used to it and I shave now in about a minute. I now think it's better without a mirror because you learn not to obsess over areas too much, damaging skin. I realize that this may not work if you are shaving around goaties though. IMO the best shaving advise is to moisterize after shaving. Does away with the dry itchy skin.I use either Zirh or Dermalogica products.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #32 on: 9 Nov 2012, 10:21 pm »
I shave in the shower ...The hot water and steam from the shower softens your beard really well....
+1
After reading this thread, I got adventurous and got out grand dad's straight razor, honed it to sharp, then stropped it a dozen time, and proceeded to rip much of the two day growth from my face.  Back to disposables for me.  :cry:

Devil Doc

« Reply #33 on: 9 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm »
It takes a great deal of skill to hone a straight razor. Not a job for the neophyte.

Doc

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #34 on: 10 Nov 2012, 02:57 am »
Gillette Fusion Pro Glide is my weapon of choice with Nivea shave Gel.  I have Thick Red Irish Steel wool coming out of my face sometimes two hairs per folicle (it freaks my wife out)  This is the best combo I have found so far.  The Nivea aftershave helps as well, I think aftershave is a far underutlized thing these days.  A good wash and exfoliation before you shave is good too, I don't bother spending big bucks for exfoliating stuff either, some fine spent coffee grounds are better than anything else my wife has picked up, we both use it now (grind them yourself so you can get the grit just right) helps prevent as many ingrown hairs with my brillo-pad face.  I find that the more blade the razor has the better it is with my thick facial hair and sensitive skin.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #35 on: 10 Nov 2012, 03:14 am »
It takes a great deal of skill to hone a straight razor. Not a job for the neophyte.

Doc
Honing a razor on a good razor stone is a piece of cake, easier that with a knife.  But the stropping... I've got to learn more about that.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #36 on: 10 Nov 2012, 03:45 am »
Following Devil Doc's earlier advice regarding Badger and Blade, I have been wet shaving with a DE razor for the past several weeks. I'm hooked, and I'll never use a cartridge razor again. The shaves are perfect, cause no irritation whatsoever, make me clear my mind and concentrate, and are now even enjoyable. Thanks, Doc!  :thumb:

I got a Merkur 34C razor, some DR Harris Arlington shave cream (smells great), some Derby blades, an alum block, and a Penworks shave brush. I follow up with some Nivea After Shave Balm for sensitive skin. They all work together flawlessly., Plus, it has been fun; from figuring out how to mix a great lather, to figuring out blade handling for a perfect shave every time. The cool thing is that it's a cool hobby, with tons of gear to try - from razors to blades to brushes, soaps or creams. And more. Don't look into it if you like to buy things. :lol:  But, if you're looking for a great shave, wherein 100 new blades cost about 10 bucks, Doc's advice was outstanding. You should check it out. (There's some mighty fine folks over there, too.)

Here's a pic of the shave gear.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

Rclark

« Reply #37 on: 10 Nov 2012, 03:51 am »
i'm getting everything below my neckline lasered. I Fawxing hate hair there.

gregcss

« Reply #38 on: 10 Nov 2012, 03:56 am »
I've liked the schick quattro, but looking at the others out there might change up. I gave up shaving cream for jack blacks beard lube about 2 years ago. I like it a lot but might try to get samples from Art of Shaving.

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Black-Beard-Conditioning-Shave/dp/B000HP9M34

Devil Doc

« Reply #39 on: 10 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm »
Following Devil Doc's earlier advice regarding Badger and Blade, I have been wet shaving with a DE razor for the past several weeks. I'm hooked, and I'll never use a cartridge razor again. The shaves are perfect, cause no irritation whatsoever, make me clear my mind and concentrate, and are now even enjoyable. Thanks, Doc!  :thumb:

I got a Merkur 34C razor, some DR Harris Arlington shave cream (smells great), some Derby blades, an alum block, and a Penworks shave brush. I follow up with some Nivea After Shave Balm for sensitive skin. They all work together flawlessly., Plus, it has been fun; from figuring out how to mix a great lather, to figuring out blade handling for a perfect shave every time. The cool thing is that it's a cool hobby, with tons of gear to try - from razors to blades to brushes, soaps or creams. And more. Don't look into it if you like to buy things. :lol:  But, if you're looking for a great shave, wherein 100 new blades cost about 10 bucks, Doc's advice was outstanding. You should check it out. (There's some mighty fine folks over there, too.)

Here's a pic of the shave gear.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

You seem to have a proclivity for AD (acquisiton disorder). You should be careful or you'll end up like me. 50 razors, 6 brushes and I don't even want to count how many soaps and creams I have. I actually have more stuff in our bathroom than my wife. :oops: I don't need a bigger listening room; I need a bigger bathroom