Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?
« on: 23 Jun 2012, 04:55 pm »
I haven't purchased a new bicycle in 12+ years and I am looking to pick up a new one for my 8 year old son in the next week or two and possibly a road bike for me.

Is there a common discount off list that I should expect?

Should I expect a free tune-up once a year?

What else should I be looking for from a local dealer? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
Re: Buying a new bicycle...what should I know?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2012, 06:10 pm »
Man, I wish I thought to ask this, myself. I just bought a bike off of bikesdirect.com it was $300 delivered for the Motobecane "jubilee trail" bike.  I then found out that the brand name, which had a history, was actually bought out by asian manufacturer.  After a little googling, the negatives I found was that you would have hard time getting service if there were to be issues.  A comment was that you could actually make a profit by taking some of these bikes apart and reselling the parts. So that seemed like this was probably ok to get as I don't know crap about bikes.  The thing looks good and seems to have fancy quality parts. I was able to assemble it myself from the videos. And so far its good. So not sure if this is an option for you. But maybe I was suckered in and overpaid?

I was looking on Amazon and seemed like not many inexpensive bikes get good reviews. Most complaints were that parts quality is suspect on any of the 200ish bikes. But maybe that was a bad place to look too...

gregcss

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2012, 06:22 pm »
I bought a mountain bike last fall, I researched the net to find what manufacturers/models were out there and for reviews. I visited a couple bike shops in the area to test ride and check prices. While I do like my bike I wish I had worked with the folks at the bike shop a little more to properly fit a bike to me - I recommend you do the same for a road bike. You don't want a bike that is too big or too small. What type of bike are you looking to get for your son (bmx, mountain, etc)?

If you find a bike you like I would check the internet to see what others have paid. You should always try to negotiate the price. A local bike here offers free lifetime tuneups if you buy a bike from them, your local shops may offer something like this.

werd

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2012, 07:58 pm »
Get a good lock. Kryptonic u shaped locks are the best from what I can see.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2012, 08:24 pm »
I think independent bike dealers try to protect their margins so I don't think there is a standard discount that you can expect. They do run general sales on occasion (look for a 4th of July sale) and then the big brands (Trek most notably) will run sales across their entire dealer network at times. I think a 15% discount off the list for a bike purchased at an independent bike dealer is considered a really good discount.

If you want a lower price you are better off shopping at a sporting goods store or REI or EMS. REI and EMS carry high quality brands and are more likely to discount them especially at season end when they need to make room for winter gear. Lower price however does not necessarily mean better value.

To compare bikes, look at the level of the components. Shimano is a big supplier and then have different levels of derailleurs, shifters, cranks, hubs, etc. So while two bikes might be the net price brand A might have higher grade components than brand  B.

I think one of the stores where I live still gives you a thirty day free parts swap out. A friend of my took advantage of it when he bought his mountain bike a number of years ago. After riding around for a couple of weeks he was complaining of back issues so they swapped out the stem for a different length. That might be more valuable to you than lifetime adjustment of cables and tightening loose pedals.

Regarding a bike for an 8 year old, I would look at Craig's List. It's only going to fit for a couple of years so why spend exorbitant amounts of money.

For an extra fee, some shops offer a couple of levels of fitting where they fine tune the bike for you by adjusting the seat position and height as well as the handlebar positions, etc.  Something to consider.

I hope this is helpful.

P.S. people often get obsessive over the weight of the bike, specifically the frame. If you want a less heavy bike there are two easy ways to get it:

1. Lose some weight.
2. Lighten your wallet (i.e. spend a lot more to get a lighter frame)

I always recommend option 1.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2012, 08:31 pm »
I got 10 pct off on a Trek 7.6fx at my LBS. 25 pct off all accessories at POS. Free adjustments first year and they spent a ton of time with me fitting everything just right. They installed all the stuff free too. Generally small LBS's are really good.

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2012, 10:51 pm »
I bought my 8 year old a Diamondback BMX bike at Sports Autority for something like 50% off with sale and coupon. His older brother has the same bicycle and still uses it as a 12 year old. It's good enough for going off road and he should be good for longer rides on the road (my son can do more than 5 miles without complaining). There are no gears, so going up hills can sometimes be tough. I think this is the way to go.

Joe M.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2012, 10:54 pm »
I bought my 8 year old a Diamondback BMX bike at Sports Autority for something like 50% off with sale and coupon. His older brother has the same bicycle and still uses it as a 12 year old. It's good enough for going off road and he should be good for longer rides on the road (my son can do more than 5 miles without complaining). There are no gears, so going up hills can sometimes be tough. I think this is the way to go.

Joe M.

Joe,

I definitely want a bike with gears for my son.

We are riding 10+ miles and his current BMX bike makes him have to work very hard to climb any hills or keep a decent pace.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2012, 11:14 pm »
I think independent bike dealers try to protect their margins so I don't think there is a standard discount that you can expect. They do run general sales on occasion (look for a 4th of July sale) and then the big brands (Trek most notably) will run sales across their entire dealer network at times. I think a 15% discount off the list for a bike purchased at an independent bike dealer is considered a really good discount.

If you want a lower price you are better off shopping at a sporting goods store or REI or EMS. REI and EMS carry high quality brands and are more likely to discount them especially at season end when they need to make room for winter gear. Lower price however does not necessarily mean better value.

To compare bikes, look at the level of the components. Shimano is a big supplier and then have different levels of derailleurs, shifters, cranks, hubs, etc. So while two bikes might be the net price brand A might have higher grade components than brand  B.

I think one of the stores where I live still gives you a thirty day free parts swap out. A friend of my took advantage of it when he bought his mountain bike a number of years ago. After riding around for a couple of weeks he was complaining of back issues so they swapped out the stem for a different length. That might be more valuable to you than lifetime adjustment of cables and tightening loose pedals.

Regarding a bike for an 8 year old, I would look at Craig's List. It's only going to fit for a couple of years so why spend exorbitant amounts of money.

For an extra fee, some shops offer a couple of levels of fitting where they fine tune the bike for you by adjusting the seat position and height as well as the handlebar positions, etc.  Something to consider.

I hope this is helpful.

P.S. people often get obsessive over the weight of the bike, specifically the frame. If you want a less heavy bike there are two easy ways to get it:

1. Lose some weight.
2. Lighten your wallet (i.e. spend a lot more to get a lighter frame)

I always recommend option 1.

I am working on option 1 and have lost about 6 lbs in the last 2 1/2 weeks.   :thumb:

That being said, I test drove some nice road bikes this afternoon and I am guessing that my wallet will get lighter at some point in the near future.

Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact - damn nice bike!

Cervelo S5 Team with Electronic shifting - very, very nice!!

George

AB

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2012, 11:58 pm »
What's your price range and expected use?

Specialized makes great bikes for good value.
I always recommend looking at Specialized first. Many folks get all they need right there. If you feel you can step up the $ commitment then there are many many details to nail down.

I really have no clue about bikes for 8 year olds. Sorry.

If I were looking for a LBS recommendation, I would go to the regional forum for your area on Road Bike Review and ask. You'll get good info there - I believe.

Oh. And when you do get your road bike, please follow the rules.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
 :thumb:

jermmd

jermmd

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2012, 12:20 am »
Joe,

I definitely want a bike with gears for my son.

We are riding 10+ miles and his current BMX bike makes him have to work very hard to climb any hills or keep a decent pace.

George,

You're talking about serious biking then. BMX is for playing in the park and short rides for fun. See my links above for what you can expect to pay for different level bikes.

Joe

LadyDog

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2012, 03:02 am »
Hi George,
Not sure what you are looking to spend, but it may be best to get your sons bike at somewhere like Performance, and yours from a local store.  Not that Perforance does not sell nice "big-boy" bikes, but think you can do better.

It has been a while since I worked and briefly owned a store, but there is a big mis-nomer about mark-up.  It is not the typical retail world.  The parts, clothing, and accessories are marked up more, but in my days bikes were marked up at most 30-33%.  And that did not take into consideration building it and the typical free tune-up in 30-60 days.

Now days, most of the stuff is made in 3 or 4 factories, no matter what the names is on the frame. 

The name brand companies all make nice stuff.  As they say, the worst thing about riding a Trek, is it says "Trek".

If you plan on spending a fair share on your bike, I will give you a few words on gospel.   "Fit Is King".  Meaning a $1k bike that fits you well is better than a $3k bike that does not.

George, while everyone if their own movie critic as they say, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any help.  I can certainly tell you if it is a good deal or not.

Regards, Jeff

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2012, 06:55 pm »
What's your price range and expected use?

Specialized makes great bikes for good value.
I always recommend looking at Specialized first. Many folks get all they need right there. If you feel you can step up the $ commitment then there are many many details to nail down.

I really have no clue about bikes for 8 year olds. Sorry.

If I were looking for a LBS recommendation, I would go to the regional forum for your area on Road Bike Review and ask. You'll get good info there - I believe.

Oh. And when you do get your road bike, please follow the rules.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
 :thumb:

Current use is road and bike path riding as I lose weight and get back into shape.  I hope to start participating in med/long group rides and events (mini triathlons, bike/swim, etc...)  starting in Fall 2012/Spring 2013.

I am riding 4-5 days per week and I am around 45-60 miles a week.  My goal for July is to get into the 80-100 mile a week range.  I'll see what happens after that.

I spent about three hours last night with my neighbor (who competes in Ironman events and owns road and triathlon bikes) going over potential bike purchases.  He educated me on frame geometry and construction material, what components to look for (such as SRAM Red or Shimano Dura-Ace) and lots more.  Felt like I was cramming for an exam, but I do feel significantly more educated now. 

I am looking for a high level performance bike with some level of comfort.  Due to knee and back injuries, I don't want a super aggressive geometry or aero bars. 

The bike brands that are on my radar screen include:  Specialized, Trek, Cervelo, Pinarello, and Ridley

George

AB

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:50 am »
Well it sounds like your well on your way towards getting the info you need to make the best choice. Test rides and talking to your friend and the different shop folks with experience with the bikes your interested in should sort you out.

I currently train on a "relaxed" geometry bike - Felt Z15 - and am really impressed. It's a very calm ride but still stiff and reactive.

LadyDog

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2012, 11:01 am »
Sounds like you are in good hands having somone local to assist.

I would also look at Parlee, Serotta, Time, Look, just to name a few.

If you are not opposed to it, I would also look at used.  Kind of like the stuff here we play around with time to time, immediate devalue as soon as it has been bought.

Regards, Jeff

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm »
Sounds like you are in good hands having somone local to assist.

I would also look at Parlee, Serotta, Time, Look, just to name a few.

If you are not opposed to it, I would also look at used.  Kind of like the stuff here we play around with time to time, immediate devalue as soon as it has been bought.

Regards, Jeff

I am certainly not against buying used or previous year models.

When buying used, is their an equivalent to audiogon?  I did look at eBay and Craigslist yesterday and saw a few possibilities.

George

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:38 pm »
zybar,

Dura-Ace is pretty pricey. I used to ride with a bike club where Ultegra, which is one level below Dura-Ace, dominated. These club members all rode thousands of miles a year. Ultegra was the real work horse--durable and affordable. 

I ride an older Merlin with Campy Record but that only makes me feel worse when kids on mountain bikes pass me.  :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:22 pm »
zybar,

Proper fit is essential. That means choosing the right size bike and then accessories (stem and crank length, bar width, seat position, etc). Be careful that the person fitting you to the bike understands what you want and need.  One bike shop owner I visited used to be a racing coach and had that mind set.  He tried to fit me on a bike racing style--very low and stretched out.  My older body and injured shoulder said NO!.  I bought a bike from a different dealer and had it fitted by a physical therapist who specialized in sports medicine and had a sideline of bike fitting. He understood my comfort level and needs. He put my bike on a stand and had me pedal with both legs and then one at a time while he took a video. Found out my left leg was just going along for the ride. I could not get it to go in a circle by itself.  Total slacker.

srb

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:49 pm »
Here is an interesting and what appears to be an honest comprehensive analysis between Ultegra and Dura-Ace.  Part 1 focuses on front and rear derailleurs, but I couldn't find any listing for Part 2 and beyond addressing the other drivetrain components, so it probably hasn't been published yet.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/dura-ace-ultegra.shtml

Steve