Tweaking the WT Amadeus

ghunter

Tweaking the WT Amadeus
« on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:43 am »
I recently switched to an Amadeus GTA and feel like it's really starting to get dialed in.  It is exactly what I wanted in a turntable - excellent life-like music without the fuss.

Three things that have really made a difference for me are:

- Herbie's Turntable Mat (5mm)
- Herbie's Record Stabilizer (5.8 oz. center weight)
- Gingko Cloud 11 platform

These three vibration dampening components have given massive bass definition, huge reduction in background noise and crackle, and a much wider and deeper soundstage.  Funnily enough, the Symposium Svelte shelf did practically nothing to the sound.

Anyone else care to share their experiences with the Amadeus?

threadkiller

Re: Tweaking the WT Amadeus
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2010, 12:00 am »
Hi ghunter,
so how are you using the Gingko?
sounds like a lot of damping going on over there.....sometimes equals deadening...

VSV

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2010, 03:33 am »
I appreciate the tips, but I sort of feel the damping of the GTA isn't really a weakness. I could be wrong but...

Now, I am a little niggled by the power supply of the unit. Maybe I've been scammed by all these fancy outboard power supplies, but the little WTL wall wart just doesn't scream quality.

I know Red Wine Audio makes a battery power source that is supposed to be universal. I'd love for WTL to make an outboard power supply,

Check out Red Wine Audio's gear: http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/black-lightning

I'd also like to swap out the little squash ball feet. I'd prefer metal spikes to couple to my Symposium shelfs. I'm also considering putting a trio of rollerblocks underneath the table as an alternative. I'll be sure to post my results once I pick out my new cartridge.

ghunter

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:24 am »
Sound deadening?  Absolutely not!  There is an amazing amount of life in my current setup and I would only say that I've added depth to the sonics.  If the feet can be replaced I would also use Herbie's balls there too.  Are they truly squash balls?

I agree that the power supply could be improved, mine even gives out a low-level hum.  The timing seems rock-solid though so it can't be that bad.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2010, 05:35 am »
That's good, then....I'd be up for a listen...Also, I believe the feet can be easily removed. How big are the Herbies?

One tweak I tried with the power supply was to split the wires and keep them 6" apart all the way down to the plug.  It appeared to present a clearer sound.  I might do a retest with another cord and see if I can now hear a difference.

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:12 am »
Regarding the AC adaptor.. the motor controller was designed to be used with a simple and small DC source. For grins, last year I wired up an Optima red top auto battery to my 'table to see if there would be any benefit. This was going seriously overboard, as the motor in the Amadeus plays well for a long time off of a little 9V battery. To my surprise (and relief) the big Optima battery did not outperform the AC adaptor. There was almost no difference between the two. In fact, a small panel of three listeners slightly preferred the presentation w/ the adaptor.. truly, either way was fine. I understand that 'audiophile culture' accepts certain things as gospel, but Mr. Firebaugh  ignores and is largely unaware of the usual ways of doing things. Thankfully.

Mike

VSV

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:36 am »
Nice To know Mike. I guess we can definitively knock that concern out of the box! Now, about these turntable feet...  :wink:

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2010, 01:10 am »
Yep, good to know, now I can get back to watching the new episode of Top Gear...

Oh, do those feet screw off easily?

Wellington Audio

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:54 pm »
What's wrong with the feet?  I rather like them and think they do a great job.

John

threadkiller

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:07 am »
The feet aregreat.  It's just the earliest tables had cone shaped feet.  The finalized production table has the ball shaped feet. If I'm not mistaken it was so some could go without using the isolation board.  In my room I have to use the isolation board, a friend with the same version does not. So I guess it all depends on your room.  I've seen a few photos of Brits having the new ball feet and using the isolation board. Crazy Brits....

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm »
Thought I would revive this thread to see if anyone has found certain tweeks to be particularly effective or ineffective...

doak

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2011, 01:56 am »
I tried several types/makes of footers on my WTA such as Mapleshade heavy brass cones, Mapleshade Isoblocks, Vibrapods, and Stillpoints.  None sounded as good to me as the stock squash balls.

I also tried a couple of platter mats including a Millennium M-LP.  Again, the stock mat was the winner.

I am using a non-stock PS for the motor.  My WTA was delivered with 2 different "wall wart" PS, one of which hummed a bit all of the time and one which hummed occasionally.  I looked though a box I have of several DC PS and chose a well made 1000mA 12DC PS that is not of the wall wart type.  It has a 3 ft. power cord leading to the PS and then the lead to the WTA.  The PS itself is situated on a Mapleshade Isoblock with a large Mapleshade brass cone situated on top (flat side down).  Not only do I have no mechanical hum, but I'd swear that the sound seems to have more "drive."

Think I'm done with the tweaking ---- well, for a while at least ..  :lol:   

I'm using the WTA with a London Decca Super Gold cartridge - the "livest" sounding phono cartridge I've ever encountered.   I bought the WTA specifically to use with this cart since it puts a substantial amount of energy into the tonearm.  The WTA arm damps the resonances wonderfully and lets it sing.  It is a near  perfect match.   :inlove:

Doak
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2011, 12:29 am by doak »

threadkiller

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:29 am »
Nice post.... My favorite after market mat is the Auditorium mat made by Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium fame..  $99. And worth it.  Makes the WTL tables even quieter surface wise....  Love it.

doak

« Reply #13 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:36 am »
Hmm... may give it a try,,, eventually.

Not having any particular prob w/surface noise.
What might it do for/to the rest of the sound?

The Millennium M-LP amt lost the "spaciousness" of the soundstage and made the highs peaky -- the kind of "hifi" sound I can't live with for the long term.

Doak

Nice post.... My favorite after market mat is the Auditorium mat made by Keith Aschenbrenner of Auditorium fame..  $99. And worth it.  Makes the WTL tables even quieter surface wise....  Love it.

threadkiller

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:46 am »
Agreed ....   We tried a few as well.... Most were just terrible. The auditorium is the only one I've heard that is worth spending money on so far....
So goid luck out there...

doak

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:51 am »
Can you please describe what you are hearing and why you prefer it to the stock mat?

Are you using the Auditorium on a WTA?

Doak

Agreed ....   We tried a few as well.... Most were just terrible. The auditorium is the only one I've heard that is worth spending money on so far....

threadkiller

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:02 am »
Hi.  Yes.  In a word , surface noises are reduced , with no change in wonderful sonics..... You do need to adjust the vta for it..
Trust me... Only mat I've heard to date better than stock...
Cheers!

doak

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
I consider myself fairly adept at internet searches, but I am finding nothing on an Auditorium TT platter mat even at the Auditorium 23 home site.

Pointer please?

Doak

threadkiller

« Reply #18 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:43 pm »
It's a closely guarded secret, I guess... Lol
Any auditorium dealer can get you one...

doak

« Reply #19 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:36 pm »
Have made an inquiry on the mat to Tone Imports - North America Importer/Distributor.  Will share any response.

Doak

It's a closely guarded secret, I guess... Lol
Any auditorium dealer can get you one...