TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD Integrated Audio Amplifier..A Modern Day Giant Killer!

Rclark

I put spare fuses in there from when it failed, I had extras. Look in the boxes.

srclose

Thanks, I'll do that as soon as I'm home.

Freo-1

Trying to finish up listening to the TBI but must have a blown fuse from having the charger on with the battery power supply connected to the amp.  Can anyone help with which fuse to replace and with what?
Yep.  Go to Radio Shack and get yourself a 4A fast blow 125V bag of fuses, and you will be right.   8)

srclose

jkelly

Need some help - why do I blow the fuse on the amp when I reconnect my battery?

Jeff

Audioclyde

Jeff, do you have your battery charger connected?  Seems I recall that is a no-no and will blow the fuse.

Randy

jkelly

No - I disconnect the charger and put the correct adapter end on the cables from the battery
and plug the jack in the back of the amp.

I wonder if somehow I am using the wrong hook up for this.
Can you share what you use from the battery to the amp?

EDIT - I just checked that after a charge on the batteries I am at 27V.  Could that be the issue?

Jeff

Audioclyde

Sorry Jeff, I've never got my BatteryBuss to pwr the amp correctly, so I'm no help on that front.  I recall reading that the TBI cannot see more than 24v or it will blow the fuse.....

Freo-1

Actually, it more like 27V.  Check the output with a meter (if you have one).  As long as it's 26 or less, it should be OK.  Make sure the power is OFF when you connect it p to the battery.

The RED light means it has a bad connection, which usually is closely followed by popping the fuse.  Feel free to send a PM if you continue to have issues.

jkelly

I do get the red light.  Hmmm

jkelly

OK no problem running with 12v - so I guess mine is a little sensitive to the 27.x volts.
I guess we'll see how 13.5v sounds.

Jeff

rikhav

Finally paired the TBI amp with the Rethm Saadhnas. Source used was EMT 938 TT

Amp in comparison was a 2A3 SET made by an Indian manufacturer called Lyrita Audio which has Dave Slagle transformers. It works as a power amp and pre used was Dave Slagle Passive pre. The price of the amp is $4500

My TBI has upgraded fuse and speaker connectors.

No power supply upgrade has been done as of now.

Used the TBI with a single 12 volt battery as its more then enough to power the Saadhnas. TBI used its own volume control i.e. no other pre

The sound had all the details but was sounding too analytical in comparision to the 2A3 SET. Also the vocals and the bass did not have that texture and liveliness which the 2A3 could produce.
The most surprising part was that the soundstage absolutely collapsed specially in the depth (I had assumed that atleast in this department it will give the 2A3 SET a run for its money)

Overall it could not come close to the said 2A3 SET but still the sound was good enough for the price of the TBI. So for me it sure is a VFM but a step down to very good SET amp

wisnon

Did you try it with the AC plug???

Even if you think 12wpc is enuff, the speaker may be causing the amp to clip slightly and dynamics will be compromised...

rikhav

Did you try it with the AC plug???

Even if you think 12wpc is enuff, the speaker may be causing the amp to clip slightly and dynamics will be compromised...

Hi winson
Did not try with AC plug as it sounded inferior to battery power in my setup.
The 2A3 gives out power of 3 watts so 12 watts should ideally be enough. Also had read that the sound would be more smoother with a single 12 volt battery.

wisnon

If you dont mind, please give it a try and report back.

Thanks

OzarkTom

That is odd that the soundstage collapsed. :scratch:

On the Rethm Maarga's here at my place, that is one of the strong points of the amp. It actually produces a bigger soundstage than the two SET amps that I have tried on the Maargas.

Freo-1

On the Rethm Maarga's here at my place, that is one of the strong points of the amp. It actually produces a bigger soundstage than the two SET amps that I have tried on the Maargas.

Maybe not.  He is using 12V, not 24V.   That could be the reason.

OzarkTom

Maybe not.  He is using 12V, not 24V.   That cold be the reason.

I have tried both 12v and 24v on the Maarga's, no problem here. Battery quality could be a factor though.

Freo-1

Jan had mentioned that using the amp in 12 volt operation to reduce any glare required a strong battery.

rikhav

Hi Tom
Even I was really surprised. The depth of the soundstage just disappeared  :cry: and it shrunk quiet a bit in width as well.

But this did not happen in my listening room.

I will still try the amp again with the Saadhnas after doing the PS mods