TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD Integrated Audio Amplifier..A Modern Day Giant Killer!

finsup

Where is this tour at now?

srclose

Hi,

Just hooked up the TBI two days ago, and haven't had a chance to spend much time with it yet.  So far operating off of AC and sounds very good.

Stephen

cab

Has anyone tried the TBI as a headphone amp with orthodynamic headphones like the Hifiman HE-400 or He-500?

Seems like it might make an excellent option for headphones.

OzarkTom

Another improvement in my system and the TBI reveals that improvement. :thumb:

I have the IUSB in my system from IFI Micro. If you are using USB from your Dac, this is probably the best improvement you can make for $200. It even makes my $5K AMR Dac sound more analog while passing through more information.  :scratch:

You hear much more hall ambiance. This was a very big surprise. My AMR now sounds like a totally different Dac.

wushuliu

I have the IUSB in my system from IFI Micro. If you are using USB from your Dac, this is probably the best improvement you can make for $200. It even makes my $5K AMR Dac sound more analog while passing through more information.  :scratch:

You hear much more hall ambiance. This was a very big surprise. My AMR now sounds like a totally different Dac.

It always comes back to the power supply. Never heard of these guys before. Thanks for the heads up.

OzarkTom

It always comes back to the power supply. Never heard of these guys before. Thanks for the heads up.

IFI Micro is a new division of AMR. Keep watch for a lot of rave reviews on their new cheap and cheerful components.

OzarkTom

I am anxious to order the new IFI Gemini Dual Head USB cable which is said to further better the performance of the IUSB. This will be out later this year. The cable looks to be a very interesting design.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/posts/215026178631142#!/notes/ifi-audio/ifi-gemini-dual-headed-usb-cable/483148201720927

wisnon

LoL

I have been the biggest iFi booster here for months now. Their philosophy and implementation just makes sense!

wisnon

I am anxious to order the new IFI Gemini Dual Head USB cable which is said to further better the performance of the IUSB. This will be out later this year. The cable looks to be a very interesting design.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/posts/215026178631142#!/notes/ifi-audio/ifi-gemini-dual-headed-usb-cable/483148201720927

End Feb., unfortunately, as I am champing at the bit for one. See my post from CA here:

Check out the soon to be released iFi Audio Gemini cable. I can be used as a straight USB cable or with the twin heads with the iUSB power. It apparently exceeds USB standards in some areas.

Excerpts:

Many USB DAC's or other USB Audio devices draw power from the USB bus for some functions (regardless of price).

This is the raison d'être for our iUSB Power supply. The USB cable complements and extends this and maximises system performance.

If you are 100% sure that your DAC does not use USB Bus power at all than you are lucky enough not to need any of this and you can use a normal cable.

Or you can use our Gemini Cable and just not connect the power section at all, or connect it and enjoy even lower ground resistance.
==========================

The Gemini Dual-Headed USB cable will ship in short/long lengths. The pricing will be in-line with the rest of the iFi range. Our beta testers have pitched the Gemini Dual-Headed cable against cables all the way up to 10x the price. Let's just say the Big Guns went home crying 'mummy'. Another iFi product with 'off the chart' performance!
=================================

iFi Audio's Notes
iFi Gemini Dual Headed USB Cable
Sunday

Features
Dual-headed (Gemini) connection USB design
Asymmetric Ground return and power line design (3 times more ground area)*
Adjustable RF Filter to tune cable to environment*
Multiple RF filters*
Heavy OFHC continues cast copper (up to 5A)
Double shields with different effective range
Custom PE insulation
*: iFi exclusive, world first.
=====================

Q: People like Steve Nugent say that 1.5m is the ideal length. O.5m is too short, so I pick 1 and 1.5m!
Monday at 9:11pm · Like

A: (iFi Audio) ‘Ideal’ length/s is NOT relevant for USB signal transfer... this comes from SPDIF and is only valid in cases where impedance mismatches occur. For High-Speed USB it simply either works or it does not. The Gemini USB-Cable strictly adheres to 90 ohm throughout which is one key USB.org specification (among many other things). Therefore, you only have to select the relevant length/s to suit your needs!
===========

The reason why some "handmade" USB Cables do not work with the iUSB is simple, they are not of sufficiently accurate impedance.
With a single short cable this is less damaging and the makers of such contraptions often can almost get away with murder.

However, as with the iUSB Power you in effect couple two cables together. In this case, if one cable has correct USB Impedance (e.g. the short blue tail included with the device) and the other has a different impedance additional reflections (on top of those at both ends of the cable) will be generated.

And even a robust system data transmission system like USB will eventually experience packet loss...
Sadly, the more expensive and exotic a cable is the less likely it is to be mass produced on machinery made for precisely mass producing USB spec cables.

It's not that we do not know how to make better USB cables, the problem is modifying standard cables for improved performance in ways that are compatible with industrial production methods and then finding someone to make such cables in moderate quantities.
=====================

Hi, sonic differences are indistinguishable between the shortest and longest. They all adhere to the strict USB data transfer standards (why we can offer longer lengths). Please see the 'iFi Gemini Notes' for an in-depth outline of how+why the Gemini USB cable differs.
=============

wisnon

IFI Micro is a new division of AMR. Keep watch for a lot of rave reviews on their new cheap and cheerful components.

My buddy in Boston sent me a rave review of the iPhono product which costs $399. Said it beats his $5,000 phono stage.

He was so impressed he bought another  (before they get sensible and raise the price) plus the iUSB power and the iDac, even though he already has a L4 Lampizator Dac and a killer Emerald Physics 2.7 setup.

Freo-1

Hi,

Just hooked up the TBI two days ago, and haven't had a chance to spend much time with it yet.  So far operating off of AC and sounds very good.

Stephen

Any thoughts to post? 

rikhav

It was written in one of the posts that the owner of TBI suggested powering the amp with one 12 volt battery for less grainy sound.
Out of curiosity, I did try and it did remove the grainy effect which I was not liking and made the sound much more smoother

Ofcourse the dynamics suffered as my speakers are 87db efficient.

I will soon get the upgrade package which my relative is carrying for me and after that hopefully the TBI will be mated to Rethm Saadhnas which a friend owns  :D

wisnon

whats in the upgrade package?

rikhav

whats in the upgrade package?

Not sure as its still not in my hands.

But as far as i know its some upgrade to power supply

wisnon

Upgrade to the third party battery pack or to the AC power supply input in the amp that TBI does?

rikhav

Upgrade to the third party battery pack or to the AC power supply input in the amp that TBI does?

Power supply input

finsup

Power supply input

Jan offers the power supply upgrade.  There are other mods available.  PM me for details.  I just received a unit from Jan.  I am going to try it in my two, very different systems.

electriceye

Took a leap and bought the TBI without hearing it first based on the reviews here and positive feedback... Very glad I did. I come from a restored vintage tube background (not sets like a lot of people here). It blows all of the vintage tubes I've heard away by quite a bit. perfect with my Tekton M-Lores. I'd be surprised if any system could out perform this at this price point.

I listen to a lot of Lo-fi  (Blues, Primitive folk, jazz etc.) music and this system simply presents it like it is, no better or worse. In my other systems I felt like it made the recordings sound overly thin and extremely harsh.

Not an official audiophile review (I'm not an official audiophile, and don't plan to be one) but hopefully this will help anyone that is skeptical pull the trigger for a budget system. I was ready to spend at least double on a set, but ended up picking the TBI. I'd be pretty surprised if I could have done better on my budget.

electriceye

In other words, for someone that would rather spend the money on his music collection, this is a perfect way to spend your money and have a little extra for record digging.

srclose

Trying to finish up listening to the TBI but must have a blown fuse from having the charger on with the battery power supply connected to the amp.  Can anyone help with which fuse to replace and with what?