Keith Jarrett Still Hates His Fans

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Keith Jarrett Still Hates His Fans
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jul 2013, 05:22 am »
Do you also disparage audio equipment that you may not know a lot about? 

Really, Steve ?  OK then...

Rather than sling innuendos, why not check my posts and see for yourself that what you imply is not in fact the case ? You do have access to them. That post was beneath you, Steve. Anyways, moving on...

As to my lack of deference shown towards the venerable and ancient Epiphone guitar line,  I was merely making an attempt at levity but sometimes I forget what a dour and humourless place this can be... I'm going to assume from your post that you and I both know enough about guitars to be pretty clear on which pile we'd pick from if asked to choose between either the level of guitars which Japanese collectors have been snapping up or what most would currently consider to be Gibson's "affordable" relative. Of course, there are always exceptions to the general rule of thumb. Thanks for pointing this out. You are, as always, an inexhaustible repository of data.

Also, you can rest easy as Captain Kirk and Prince have kissed and made up:  http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=794824

I am now off your lawn.

D.D.

srb

« Reply #81 on: 21 Jul 2013, 05:25 am »
D.D., you seem like a very angry man.

Steve

watercourse

« Reply #82 on: 21 Jul 2013, 05:30 am »
Don't know if everyone saw this, but someone who was there at the concert posts the following, responding to facts stated in the initial article and after two disparaging comments of KJ:

"Jul 19, 2013 at 09:57AM anto12
Sorry,but I don't agree.I was there,in the 3th row.As soon as keith jarred appeard,there where SEVERAL flashing cameras,that,s why he said see you later And at the end when the public was applauding,he came back,and again cameras started to flash.That's why he left.I was really angry.AND BY THE WAY i was surrounded by people playing with mobiles ,messaging ecc ecc. trying to record what i don't know. People seems obsessed with technology,totally uncapeble to focus ,relax IT IS SAD if I compare it to the atmosphere of Jazz festivals in the '80 when we would just loose ourselves into the music.AND TO THOSE WITH THE FLASHES,FUCK YOU"

Hmmm, sounds like the human/cellphone issues are global...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jul 2013, 06:03 am »
I want a sexy avatar like north star & devil doc, and that other guy with the broad with gonads hanging out. Was thinking of using a photo of a guy driving the new Porsche Cayman in the latest car & driver, who bears a creepy and uncanny resemblance to me....

Sorry : couldn't resist!   :lol:

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2013, 06:07 am »
D.D., you seem like a very angry man.

Steve

Angry? ...I don't know; perturbed perhaps.  :wink::green:

rbbert

« Reply #85 on: 21 Jul 2013, 07:49 pm »
Rob, if you want to perform Live in front of an audience, be ready to accept that audience with all the good and the bad. ...So simple.

What was so hard to understand from my previous post?

And what about the performer (and members of the audience too, for that matter) who would prefer that the live concert be about the music and performance, rather than about (the obnoxious part of) the audience?  As has already been acknowledged, classical music concerts, and especially opera, don't allow seating during the performance, nor do they allow flash photography.  Why are only classical musicians accorded that privilege?

srb

« Reply #86 on: 21 Jul 2013, 08:08 pm »
As has already been acknowledged, classical music concerts, and especially opera, don't allow seating during the performance, nor do they allow flash photography.  Why are only classical musicians accorded that privilege?

They're not.  If the performer has expectations of a respectful audience, they should only book performances in those types of sophisticated concert hall venues.  I've been to jazz performances at concert halls and the rules are the same as for classical concerts.

Of course, maybe classical fans are just overall better behaved and more resepectful in all aspects of life than jazz, blues and fusion fans.  ;)

Steve

Chazro

« Reply #87 on: 21 Jul 2013, 08:18 pm »
Did you guys hear about the incident at a recent Beyoncé concert?  Apparently she 's in the middle of a tune and some guy front-row-center is holding up his phone recording and she lit into him!  "Yeah I'm talkin' to YOU!" after which she tells the whole arena to put down the phones and 'feel the experience'!  I'm not a fan and I wouldn't know a Beyoncé tune if you hit me over the head with it BUT.....I give her a HUGE thumb's up on this.  Keith Jarrett complaining about coughing = a douchebag,  complaining about the phones/flashing/recording, not so much.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #88 on: 21 Jul 2013, 09:57 pm »
Seems the asiatic audience is the most respectful at concert hall.
After the final chords the public wait afew seconds to aplaud, for easy recording edit/cut, also may be other reason to this solemn habit.

North Star

« Reply #89 on: 21 Jul 2013, 10:14 pm »
And what about the performer (and members of the audience too, for that matter) who would prefer that the live concert be about the music and performance, rather than about (the obnoxious part of) the audience?  As has already been acknowledged, classical music concerts, and especially opera, don't allow seating during the performance, nor do they allow flash photography.  Why are only classical musicians accorded that privilege?

Because Classical music is the real deal! ...Jazz music is a totally different art form, a free expression of the body, a dance music. ...That's why.
Jazz music is addicting, and played by many drug addicts. It's a trance, a dance music of the brain & body (in & out).

Yes, of course, some people might think differently, and I totally respect that.
And I'm talking from the audience's perspective; and not necessarily of what's going on onstage.
Classical Ballet have performing dancers onstage, but not in the audience.
With Jazz everything goes; onstage and off stage.

...In general.

* Classical music is a 'listening' experience to its deepest core.
Jazz music is not only a listening experience but also a 'participating' (in & out out-of-the-body) experience. ...I love dancing through jazz music.
And I've been at several jazz clubs in my lifetime. ...Same for classical music concert halls, operas, classical chamber music, ...

That's my sincere take on this.

North Star

« Reply #90 on: 21 Jul 2013, 10:30 pm »
Anyway, Keith Jarrett is a great jazz piano player, but a weird guy nonetheless. ...Same as Glenn Gould is on the classical side of it. 

watercourse

« Reply #91 on: 21 Jul 2013, 10:46 pm »
Because Classical music is the real deal! ...Jazz music is a totally different art form, a free expression of the body, a dance music. ...That's why.
Jazz music is addicting, and played by many drug addicts. It's a trance, a dance music of the brain & body (in & out).

Yes, of course, some people might think differently, and I totally respect that.
And I'm talking from the audience's perspective; and not necessarily of what's going on onstage.

...In general.

Jazz music is not only a listening experience but also a 'participating' (in & out out-of-the-body) experience. ...I love dancing through jazz music.
And I've been at several jazz clubs in my lifetime. ...Same for classical music concert halls, operas, classical chamber music, ...

Hmm, I used to play jazz, and never took drugs. It also requires a great deal of technical expertise, as much as classical. There are specific mannerisms and expressions specific to jazz that separate it from other musical styles, one of these is swing. You don't know these, you aren't playing jazz.

Your description can be read as demeaning to jazz musicians, though I hope you didn't intend it that way.

Classical musicians for the most part cannot play jazz. Then again, they can't play funk, soul, salsa, Qawwali, or West African music either.

Is someone trained in ballet more "the real deal" than Chinese acrobats, flamenco, modern dance?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #92 on: 21 Jul 2013, 10:56 pm »

...In general.

That's your "sincere take on this"?  You obviously know very little or next to nothing about jazz as it has evolved over the past 70 years or so.  I'm sure Keith Jarrett, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Wynton Marsalis, and just about every musician playing jazz today would take issue with your "sincere take" that jazz is how you describe it.  And that comment about drug addicts is way over the top.  There is no causal connection between jazz and substance abuse. 

As a musical art form, jazz has expanded into nearly infinite avenues of musical expression of which dance is only one.  Some of us would argue that jazz overtook classical music as a creative and vital art form during the 20th century.  I have been to many jazz concerts in clubs and concert halls and I know that your understanding of this (these) musical form(s) barely scratches the smallest corner of its surface.

If you are interested in expanding your appreciation of jazz, I, and many other AC members, would be happy to provide you with lists of recordings and music.  If you're not, then .....

North Star

« Reply #93 on: 21 Jul 2013, 11:05 pm »
Hmm, I used to play jazz, and never took drugs. It also requires a great deal of technical expertise, as much as classical. There are specific mannerisms and expressions specific to jazz that separate it from other musical styles, one of these is swing. You don't know these, you aren't playing jazz.

Your description can be read as demeaning to jazz musicians, though I hope you didn't intend it that way.

Classical musicians for the most part cannot play jazz. Then again, they can't play funk, soul, salsa, Qawwali, or West African music either.

Is someone trained in ballet more "the real deal" than Chinese acrobats, flamenco, modern dance?

I said "many" (among the greatest), not all. ...And I know that it requires technical maitrise (I play music myself; blues, jazz, classical, folk, new age, ...), and it also comprises many many jazz styles... ...Intellectual, Be Pop, Disco Jazz, Free Dance Jazz, Improv., Fusion, Avant-Garde, etc.

I don't demean anything, I love all musicians (almost), and I have the deepest respect for my hobbies.
I speak from my mind, heart & soul; and demeanor only exists in the eyes of the beholder.

I enjoyed reading your post; you speak 'your' own truth as well. :cool:
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2013, 09:25 pm by North Star »

North Star

« Reply #94 on: 21 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm »
That's your "sincere take on this"?  You obviously know very little or next to nothing about jazz as it has evolved over the past 70 years or so.  I'm sure Keith Jarrett, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Wynton Marsalis, and just about every musician playing jazz today would take issue with your "sincere take" that jazz is how you describe it.  And that comment about drug addicts is way over the top.  There is no causal connection between jazz and substance abuse. 

As a musical art form, jazz has expanded into nearly infinite avenues of musical expression of which dance is only one.  Some of us would argue that jazz overtook classical music as a creative and vital art form during the 20th century.  I have been to many jazz concerts in clubs and concert halls and I know that your understanding of this (these) musical form(s) barely scratches the smallest corner of its surface.

If you are interested in expanding your appreciation of jazz, I, and many other AC members, would be happy to provide you with lists of recordings and music.  If you're not, then .....

What you think that I know about jazz is not even a fraction of one percent!

And the drug thing is only one true (fact) aspect of it. ...Some of our greatest jazz musicians and singers were heroin addicts.

You speak like I'm from the devil music! ...And so what!

And no thanks about teaching me jazz; my education is doing just fine without you.  :wink:
You just don't know me, so don't judge me like if I was born not long ago, and knew nothing about Jazz.

You're a funny guy; like if some great jazz musicians (90% dead ones) would take issue with my take!
Get a grip, grow up, respect other's opinion, even if they differ with your own! :)

Instead of judging the messenger, add some real ingredient to the discussion; can you do that without feeling totally upside down?

And perhaps you can address Keith Jarrett's attitude at some of his concerts (the why of this thread), but no, you decided to comment on my own 'attitude'! ...Nicely done!
Now let's see how truly smart you are, and what will your next reply be.  :wink: ...Meanwhile I'm swimming in my own jazz ocean.

*** Don't forget though; this thread ain't about me, but about Keith Jarrett himself. Please, don't lose the perspective, and respect everyone's opinion, even if you disagree. Your quote above is quite self-explicit, and speak the truth about yourself.

Enjoy the music,
Bob

srb

« Reply #95 on: 21 Jul 2013, 11:23 pm »
I know some classical musicians who wish they could play jazz, but can only play compositions note for note that they've practiced literally thousands of times.  They play those compositions beautifully and expertly, but admit to wishing they also had knowledge and experience in the art of improvisation.

Wynton Marsalis is one of the few musicians to have won critical awards and recognition in both Classical and Jazz genres, and considers Jazz to be the next level.

Many jazz musicians who started with Classical training very much respect it for its beauty, technical complexity and work ethic, and feel it gave them a solid foundation and stepping stone into the art of Jazz.

Steve

North Star

« Reply #96 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:01 am »
What is the next level? ...A higher standard?

rbbert

« Reply #97 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:03 am »
I know some classical musicians who wish they could play jazz, but can only play compositions note for note that they've practiced literally thousands of times.  They play those compositions beautifully and expertly, but admit to wishing they also had knowledge and experience in the art of improvisation.

Steve

This ranks with some of Bob's as among the more bizarre comments in this thread.  While I admit there may well be some "classical" musicians who play as you state, I've never known one or even heard of one.  Most (nearly all?) "classical" musicians play all varieties of music, at least in their spare time and often professionally as well.  And I thought it was fairly widely known that much "classical" music requires improvisation in places; most concertos and much chamber music.  It depends on the scale; if you have a 30-80 piece orchestra it's very important for everyone to play their parts as expected, improvisation in that setting destroys the music.

North Star

« Reply #98 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:29 am »
The word "bizarre" is not such a bad word (it means FANTASTIC). ...I'm cool with it. :cool: :green:

* True, most musicians can play all the major styles; classical, blues, rhythm&blues, country, folk, traditional, celtic, bluegrass, rock&roll, hard rock, heavy metal, progressive alternative, new age, world, reggae, and all that jazz.