Re: Just saying hi => Omega questions => Super 7 XRS on the way! => Now Here!!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Hi Peter
Regarding the issue with drivers; i read Louis's earlier post in this thread that he was working on a 7"alnico driver, and that he offered a swap with the drivers I have. Of course I may have misunderstood his post and intensions but I think he is working on something. Then, if so, of course I am interested in that product. I believe we , at the moment , have the same kind of 7"drivers. Curios if you have been trying out the ferrite based drivers more. I believe your initial impressions favored those, but then leaned to the alnicos . Big difference?

Regarding the differences in cabinets, yours are a bit bigger, maybe a little more soundstage and maybe a little more bass? Size matters....

Listening to: Grant Lee Buffalo , a band I loved being twenty and a promising young lad... Later: Wes Montgomery, being a older and laid back grown up..

Maybe there's an optimal size so a too big cabinet would have negative effect?  Don't know.

I guess we'll need the word from Louis or Rob about the 7" Alnico.  It was confused there for a little while as they were sorting their plans and naming the drivers.

I will reserve judgement about the ferrite drivers for now.  I've been rotating through Pope, vintage RCA and vintage Bendix 6V6 power tubes so haven't tried switching drivers back yet.  My initial impression with the ferrites was a liveliness but when I went back to the alnicos, I really seemed to hear the naturalness and texture.  The ferrites may be a bit more forward which made them sound better at first.  I'll repost when I get around to switching back.

.....Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant

Regarding the differences in cabinets, yours are a bit bigger, maybe a little more soundstage and maybe a little more bass? Size matters....

Hello jorgen,

A bigger cabinet does not necessarily give a larger or superior soundstage, or more bass.  The Super 3XRS has a fraction of the cabinet volume of the original Hoyt 1.5, yet when I compared them side by side, the Super 3XRS had at least as much bottom end, and as far as imaging goes, the Super 3XRS is unbeatable - huge, well focussed soundstage.  The room acoustics and the way the speakers are set up can have a huge effect on all aspects of a speakers performance. 

Concerning the 7" alnico driver, there only was one, regardless of how it was, or is labelled, and there are no plans for it's redesign, now or in the future.