Cambridge audio BT100

Charles Calkins

Cambridge audio BT100
« on: 9 Sep 2019, 12:43 am »

Hi Guys:
           My new PC has a bluetooth  section in it. Right now  it is turned off.
           Cambridge audio BT100 looks like it will work with my Cambridge
           stream magic 6. Anybody got any comments about this?
           I think my PC is too far away from my audio system to work.
           I don't know the range of the BT100.

Cheers
                                       Charlie

Doublej

Re: Cambridge audio BT100
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2019, 01:48 am »
Should be approximately 33 foot range for the BT100. It plugs into the USB port on the Stream Magic. The BT100 comes with a 47" extension cable. However you should be able to use any USB extension cable so in theory you could place the BT100 10-15 feet from the Stream Magic if needed to reduce the distance to the PC.

As an alternative requiring no additional equipment, you could use your existing network and run UPnP software on your new PC to send music to the Stream Magic. This requires more initial setup but will not have any distance limitations. If both the PC and Stream Magic are on the network and your wifi router supports UPnP you'll be good to go.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2019, 02:03 am »
Should be approximately 33 foot range for the BT100. It plugs into the USB port on the Stream Magic. The BT100 comes with a 47" extension cable. However you should be able to use any USB extension cable so in theory you could place the BT100 10-15 feet from the Stream Magic if needed to reduce the distance to the PC.

As an alternative requiring no additional equipment, you could use your existing network and run UPnP software on your new PC to send music to the Stream Magic. This requires more initial setup but will not have any distance limitations. If both the PC and Stream Magic are on the network and your wifi router supports UPnP you'll be good to go.

Thanks for the answer. BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I am such a DUMDUM when it comes to PC's I dare
   not try your suggestion. I'd probably screw things up real BAD !!!!!!!!!!
   By the way my PC is about 75 feet away from my audio system. So I guess the BT100
   wouldn't work.

Cheers
                                             Charlie

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2019, 03:24 pm »
Onto Plan C - if you have an iphone or ipad. Download the free app to control the Stream Magic. Copy your music to a USB drive and plug it into the back of the Stream Magic. Use iphone/ipad to control the music on the Stream Magic.

You might be able to stream music on the iphone/ipad to the Stream Magic through the app. I this turns out to be true then there is no need for a USB drive.

No streaming of Pandora or Spotify or Tidal though the PC. I don't know if this capability is built into the Stream Magic unit or the app.

Did you realize that you can stream 1000's of radio stations across the world with the Stream Magic?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2019, 08:41 pm »
Onto Plan C - if you have an iphone or ipad. Download the free app to control the Stream Magic. Copy your music to a USB drive and plug it into the back of the Stream Magic. Use iphone/ipad to control the music on the Stream Magic.

You might be able to stream music on the iphone/ipad to the Stream Magic through the app. I this turns out to be true then there is no need for a USB drive.

No streaming of Pandora or Spotify or Tidal though the PC. I don't know if this capability is built into the Stream Magic unit or the app.

Did you realize that you can stream 1000's of radio stations across the world with the Stream Magic?
  Yes I know I can put my itunes music file on a USB drive. I have one in my truck. No CD in my truck.
  I have a LOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of tunes on a Maxtor 500 GB drive. It's connected to my stream magic 6
  Works very good. I was just curious about the BT100. I guess I'll put that on the back burner.
  Really don't need one.
  By the way I don't have a cell phone. I have no use for one. My daughter and my granddaughters and
  Grandsons have one. What a PANIC !!!!!!!!! when they can't find theirs. They can not even sit on the pot
  without their cell phones.
  AAAAHHHH !!! For the good old days when everything was in black and white. Remember those days??

Cheers
                                             Charlie