Bingo!

revrob

Bingo!
« on: 29 May 2010, 06:02 pm »
I have been looking for the right combination for my Salk HT3 since I purchased them used. I was using a LSA Signature integrated amplifier. It had everything I was looking for, silky highs, great midrange and good bass. But at 150 watts a channel I knew that HT3 were capable of more.

Luke, the person I bought the HT3 from had a great combo of a Pass Labs XA30.5 and the Wyred4Sound Preamp. It was as great a combination as my Hybrid integrated and was the exact sound I was looking for. As with all poor audiophiles, me included, budget was going to be an issue. Luke also had the Wyred4Sound SX-1000 mono blocks (570 watts per channel) but I did not like the combination of the mono blocks with their preamp, it sounded too digital to me.

So I sold the integrated at a small lost and determined to be patience with my search. I was able to find a used pair of the Wyred4Sound SX-1000 for a great price so I bought them. Now came the hard part, what preamp to marry with the Wyred4sound amps that would give me that same euphoric feeling of my hybrid integrated. I knew that a tube preamp would be the best combination but which one.

After researching and reading various reviews I came across a used Joule-Electra LA-150 MKII. I did not know much about this preamp but after reading several reviews I thought this might make a great match with the Wyred4Sound.

Bingo! I found the sound that I was looking for. The power of the Wyred4sound and the Joule was a match made in heaven. Not only did I retain the silky highs and the great midrange but the power and quality of the bass brought the whole listening experience to a brand new level. Source is handled by the Esoteric DV-50 universal player.

This is my first Class D amp and it is spectacular with the Joule, probably the finest preamp I have ever heard. I feel pretty content, oh yeah I paid less than $3,100.00 shipped for both pieces.

Time to go back to the music.

Big Red Machine

Re: Bingo!
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2010, 10:30 pm »
Very nice.  Joule was on my list as well.

revrob

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2010, 05:47 pm »
Big Red,

The Joule has to be the most musical preamp I have heard. I thought my LSA Signature integrated was very transparent and allow you to see into the music but the Joule just allows you to enjoy music that is very seductive and inviting. I know this may sound like a cliché but the Joule truly brings music to a brand new level.

The Wyred4Sound mono blocks, all 570 watts, are not overkill for the HT3. They seem to take the 570 watts and drink them like a glass of water like it was 57 watts a channel. Go figure.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2010, 05:49 pm »
This is my first Class D amp and it is spectacular with the Joule, probably the finest preamp I have ever heard. I feel pretty content, oh yeah I paid less than $3,100.00 shipped for both pieces.

That is some deal..... :o 8)

revrob

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2010, 06:07 pm »
The Jolue was upgraded from the LA-200 to the LA-150 MKII. The upgrade was confirmed by Rich Birkish at Signature Sound in New York, a Joule dealer. The monos were 1600 and so was the preamp was 1500. Both included free shipping. I did pay paypal fees on one, about 55.00.

It is all about being in the right place at the right time. The man who sold me the Joule is retired and a classical violinist.

Peace,
Steve

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2010, 06:12 pm »
You did very well Steve....enjoy !!! 8)  :beer:

revrob

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2010, 10:30 pm »
Thank you. I feel like I can now truly enjoy the HT3 speakers.

pardales

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2010, 11:51 pm »
Thank you. I feel like I can now truly enjoy the HT3 speakers.

Synergy is everything. Congrats and enjoy   :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2010, 01:28 am »
That's great news, revrob!  There is nothing like completing the synergy of your system and knowing your speakers are truly getting the best signal possible.  Congrats and enjoy!

OgOgilby

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2010, 05:23 pm »
Congrats on achieving that elusive system synergy revrob!

I'm not sure I would put you in the "poor audiophile" category with your gear  :wink:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2010, 05:35 pm »
Big Red,

The Wyred4Sound mono blocks, all 570 watts, are not overkill for the HT3. They seem to take the 570 watts and drink them like a glass of water like it was 57 watts a channel. Go figure.

I've always said the same thing.  Throw all you can at the HT3's and they'll take it on one foot while juggling knives and whistling Dixie.