Bel Canto amps and Salk...any experience???

KnowTalent

• ...stuck in the middle with you
Bel Canto amps and Salk...any experience???
« on: 31 Mar 2010, 11:32 pm »
I'm reading some interesting reviews on the new generation of Bel Canto Class D monoblocks and wondering if anyone has heard either the Ref 500m or 1000m powering Salks?

I'd be nice to have some monoblocks that weigh less than 20lbs

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Bel Canto amps and Salk...any experience???
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2010, 11:58 pm »
I'm reading some interesting reviews on the new generation of Bel Canto Class D monoblocks and wondering if anyone has heard either the Ref 500m or 1000m powering Salks?

I'd be nice to have some monoblocks that weigh less than 20lbs

Whoa.  I can't help with the mono's, but that's the classiest (and most disturbing) quotation signature box I've seen.  I remember the  "Let us go then you and I, when the evening is....................."  part of that poem, but I forgot the scary shadow stuff.  Maybe something more upbeat next time?  We're trying to sell speakers here.  :eyebrows:

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:28 am »
While not the latest Ref 500/1000 amps, I did borrow a friend's Evo 4 tripath amp to use with my HT3 speakers.  In bridged mode it had something around 360 watts.  My impression of the amp was that it was a bit dry, with great control and very smooth midrange.  The high frequencies seemed perhaps just a tad recessed.  The amp had plenty of power to make the speakers sing.  I've read the latest amps have improved on the Evo 4 but I haven't heard them to say for sure how they would work with the HT3s.

Andy

ctouhey

« Reply #3 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:32 am »
[snip] In bridged mode it had something around 360 watts.  My impression of the amp was that it was a bit dry, with great control and very smooth midrange.  The high frequencies seemed perhaps just a tad recessed.  The amp had plenty of power to make the speakers sing.  [snip]

Andy

I've got a McIntosh MC303 for my HT3s/HTC.  That’s 300 watts into 8, 4 or 2 Ohms with headroom for 1200 watts peak into any load.  At critical listening levels, the HT3s will go out for a bit of a jog, but forget about a sprint.  They can swallow that power and feel like they're just filling their lungs with air.  No clipping, mind you.  And I found that treating the HT3s (in MY environment) as 4 Ohm loads allow for the same SPL with better behaved demand on the amp.  The sound is amazing, but every now and then I want that little extra kick, and the Power Guard comes on (basically saying the demand is exceeding 300 watts but not exceeding headroom capabilities).  The amp design works to avoid clipping, so the sound is very pure and open and powerful, but I wish I had that little-bit-more – like a 500 watt Monoblock or 1.2 KW Monoblock – just for those special recordings.  The neighbors in the next block, however, differ in that opinion… :D

Chris

jbtrio

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2010, 11:24 am »
I never heard the Bel Cantos, but I run a Spectron Musician III mk2. (v-caps) with my HT-3s.
The sound is wonderful. Run them with a good tube pre-amp and you will love the sound, effortless,dynamic,transparent, with very nice tone and texture.
Class D gets a bad rap for sounding thin and dry because they are truthful, IMHO. Use some gold cabling and high quality gear and you will be rewarded.
 Spectron right now is running some specials, check it out on their website. I am not affiliated with the company just a happy customer.

Joe

KnowTalent

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2010, 05:32 pm »
Whoa.  I can't help with the mono's, but that's the classiest (and most disturbing) quotation signature box I've seen.  I remember the  "Let us go then you and I, when the evening is....................."  part of that poem, but I forgot the scary shadow stuff.  Maybe something more upbeat next time?  We're trying to sell speakers here.  :eyebrows:

I read another post discussing the use of RAAL ribbon tweets in place of the RCY units...
Is there any discernable advantage by using a RAAL or Raven point source or are you just paying more money for something with fancier looks?

KnowTalent

« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2010, 05:37 pm »
While not the latest Ref 500/1000 amps, I did borrow a friend's Evo 4 tripath amp to use with my HT3 speakers.  In bridged mode it had something around 360 watts.  My impression of the amp was that it was a bit dry, with great control and very smooth midrange.  The high frequencies seemed perhaps just a tad recessed.  The amp had plenty of power to make the speakers sing.  I've read the latest amps have improved on the Evo 4 but I haven't heard them to say for sure how they would work with the HT3s.

Andy

The latest reviews from the RMAF, where the 1000m was powering TADs, are very encouraging.
Given the high resolution claims of the TADs, I would "assume" any amplification foibles would stand out?

BikeWNC

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2010, 06:24 pm »
The latest reviews from the RMAF, where the 1000m was powering TADs, are very encouraging.
Given the high resolution claims of the TADs, I would "assume" any amplification foibles would stand out?

I would love to demo the Ref1000 mkll amps with the HT3 speakers.  I don't think one could ever have too much power with them.  My only hesitation is that these type of amps seem to be in almost constant revision.  As soon as I would settle on one a newer version would be out.  I thought about the Wyred4Sound amp too.  Not having heard it or the BC I'm sort of stuck trusting the reviews.  Not something I like to do. 

Andy

srb

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2010, 06:46 pm »
I would love to demo the Ref1000 mkll amps with the HT3 speakers.  I don't think one could ever have too much power with them.  My only hesitation is that these type of amps seem to be in almost constant revision.  As soon as I would settle on one a newer version would be out.  I thought about the Wyred4Sound amp too.  Not having heard it or the BC I'm sort of stuck trusting the reviews.  Not something I like to do. 

Another ICEpower amplifier perhaps worth looking at might be the Virtue Audio ICEBlock M5001 tube hybrid monoblock amplifiers, which use the B&O ASP-500 modules combined with a Dodd Audio tube input buffer.

http://store.virtueaudio.com/product-p/vrtu-ma-ibm5001-pbf-1.htm

They are fairly new, so the only reviews so far are a few user reviews.  There is a 30-day moneyback guarantee (with a $50 restocking charge).

Steve

greenhouseman

« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2010, 01:06 am »

Andy

W4S amps are something that you might want to further investigate to see if they would suit your needs. i currently use the ST-500 to power my STRT's and have been extremely pleased. They do however require a substantial break-in period ( 300 hrs ) to reach their potential and that might hinder those that want to trial them over the short term. Happy hunting :D

groovybassist

« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2010, 02:28 am »
+1 on the Wyred rec.  I'm using the STI-500 integrated and it's a sweet piece - very happy with it.  Would love to know if anyone is using Wyred with Salks.  It (the STI-500) displaced Naim separates I had been using.  It's giving me upgrade-itis about everything else!

-Mike