Bass Output between the Exotica 3 versus the Soundscape 8

dbx

I have noticed that with the Exotica 3s, the bass output can be impressive, but I find it to be of like mostly... a single noted output.  I do not find the bass to be layered.

The bass output of the SoundScape 8 is very impressive - it is completely effortless, and there is no shortage of output - I find the bass output to be very layered and involved which has made me highly impressed on what it can do in the bass area.

For those of you who have both, or have had the fortune of listening to both speakers, do you feel the same as I do comparing both of these speakers?  (Loaded question, I know!!!)

Is it possible to get the bass output of the Exotica 3s to match that of the Soundscape 8?  I know - another loaded question here since they handle bass differently.

Are powered subwoofers inherently limited in bass capability of a single note output compared to the woofer/passive radiator combo being able to output layers and layers of bass output?

qwknuf6

Re: Bass Output between the Exotica 3 versus the Soundscape 8
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2016, 08:52 pm »
The rythmik subwoofer in the E3  is servo controlled , I understand it to be a feedback circuit to give a cleaner bass but also a different flavor of bass .   Takes some getting used to for sure ,  I will have a calibrator over soon help dial in the bass of my E3s to match my room . 

billmcc

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2016, 10:07 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "a single noted output". I went from an Outlaw sub to a Rythmik F12SE sub and found the bass to be so much more accurate. In that the bass was no longer boomy and inaccurate. With the Rythmiks (have two now) the bass is in a way "single noted" as I hear the individual bass notes from an acoustic bass on jazz recordings. It's no longer a bunch of bass with no accuracy.

It took a bit to get used to as I always thought the louder the bass the better. Then the more I read and educated myself I found accurate bass to be so much better over loud boomy bass.

Bill

JonnyFive

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:35 pm »
My experience was the opposite of yours.

The passive radiators in the SS8s are tuned to 17-20 hz, I believe.  In that regard, the SS8s have more ultra-low end content than the pair of 8" woofers in the E3.  The SS8s were great for movies for this reason.  Tron Legacy?  Incredible even without a subwoofer.   But sometimes on music I wished I could turn that ultra low content off (as you can with the E3s filter switch).

I noticed the bass in the SS8s, and I thought it was great.  I don't notice that bass in the E3s, simply because those drivers are so well integrated that it just feels more "together" if that makes sense.  The bass in the E3s stops on a dime, the SS8s and their ultra low content lingered a bit longer in the room.

The other thing that's come up is that they load the room differently.  It would be great if you could measure them both from your MLP to compare. 

dbx

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2016, 02:50 pm »
JohnnyFive -

The SS8 is rated to play down to 25Hz.  Were you able to measure below that?  By ear, I have no idea if my SS8 is hitting that low, but compared to the E3s, the SS8 does play lower, and is well layered.  I do not experience bass layering with the E3 as I do with the SS8.

For those that do not know - the bass experience on both speakers are well done, but they are completely different from one another.

On the SS8, I could turn the bass setting down 3 settings below 0 on my preamp, and the bass output is still tremendous.

dbx

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2016, 03:15 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "a single noted output". I went from an Outlaw sub to a Rythmik F12SE sub and found the bass to be so much more accurate. In that the bass was no longer boomy and inaccurate. With the Rythmiks (have two now) the bass is in a way "single noted" as I hear the individual bass notes from an acoustic bass on jazz recordings. It's no longer a bunch of bass with no accuracy.

It took a bit to get used to as I always thought the louder the bass the better. Then the more I read and educated myself I found accurate bass to be so much better over loud boomy bass.

Bill

Bill -

The bass is not boomy on my SS8 or the E3.  It is well defined and musical.  The bass presentation is completely different between the two speakers.  WIth the SS8, the bass notes that come out of it are at different different frequencies - giving the bass a layered presentation.

With the E3s, the bass hits hard, but I feel the bass is well defined at a given frequency, or a narrow frequency when compared to the SS8.  I do not know if words can express this, or if it is something that needs to be experienced.  I take it that your sub is of a higher caliber compared to the sub on the E3.  But the sub on the E3 (and the E3 itself) is better than any sub or speaker you would find in BestBuy, or any other retail outlet.

Also to note - that the quality of audio cable, or speaker wire going to the sub can make a tremendous difference.  The better the quality of the cable, the more musical the bass will become.

I once ran an 18 gauge wire into a speaker with passive radiator.  The speaker went low and had punch, but it was not musical.  When I purchased a 12 gauge quality speakerwire, the speaker was completely transformed - the passive radiator was playing bass in a musical way - not boomy or punch.

dbx

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:46 am »
In order to get more extended low frequency layering, I wonder if Jim ever thought of installing passive radiators on the sides of the E3s as he does with the Soundscape 8s.

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2016, 03:56 am »
I have noticed that with the Exotica 3s, the bass output can be impressive, but I find it to be of like mostly... a single noted output.  I do not find the bass to be layered.

You've only just begun to dial in those E3's in. It may take you quite some time to figure out which settings work best in your room and to your tastes. I use the same servo amp, so don't be afraid to experiment. You already know from experience that a minor tweak on those amps can make a major difference in sound.   

rocker9999

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2016, 04:04 am »
Why not just go to Wal Mart, pick up a $65 sub woofer, crank it to the max - and enjoy! You'll definitely get another layer of bass!

dbx

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:11 pm »
Why not just go to Wal Mart, pick up a $65 sub woofer, crank it to the max - and enjoy! You'll definitely get another layer of bass!

What is walmart?

dbx

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:13 pm »
You've only just begun to dial in those E3's in. It may take you quite some time to figure out which settings work best in your room and to your tastes. I use the same servo amp, so don't be afraid to experiment. You already know from experience that a minor tweak on those amps can make a major difference in sound.

Thanks Early B.  I will get a chance this weekend to play around with the volume, 12/24dB output, and the Bass Extension.

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2016, 01:36 pm »
The passive radiators would change the whole speaker and likely cause the cabinet to increase in size by an order of magnitude.  I wouldn't have bought them with the passive radiators.  I have not has an issue with the bass really.  It will not load the room my down firing Rythmik did, but that was expected.  They are smaller and will not move as much air.  I went to two channel from 5.1 because my listening time has changed.  What amps are  using for this?  One difference may in fact include the electronic divide, damping factor, etc.  This is all a lot of tough comparisons as you are not seperately powering the woofers of the SS8s.