Alternatives to M&K K7 + K4 5.1 speakers?

bobby_t1

« on: 12 Nov 2003, 08:37 am »
I was originally in the market for a compact satellite 5.1 setup for my home theatre, but it turns out that I have enough room for larger speakers. The fronts could be as big as 12" high adn 5" wide.  The rears need to be as small since they will be on stands behind my couch which is near a main walkway in my living room.  
  • Receiver:The speakers will likely be driven by either a Denon AVR-2803 or an HK AVR325.
  • Sub:I haven't fully decided on a subwoofer.  I was going to go with a SVS 25-31PCi and put it behind my 50" Sony GWIII LCD RPTV.  However, several people have told me that a sub behind my TV i snot a good idea as the bass might shake the internals of the TV out of alignment.  so there is only one other viable corner for my sub and I have to wait until I can see how big of a sub I can get to fit next to the couch.
  • 95% TV and movies, 5% music from CDs (no SACD or DVD-A player now, nor do I plan on getting one for at least 2 years).
  • [/list:u]
    I looked at the M&K speakers at a local dealer and was blown away by a K7's across the front (L+C+R) with K4 tripoles for the rears.  I would expect this setup to completely smoking with an SVS sub.

However, potential problems with this system: (1) this setup is very pricey, and (2) center channel may be too big on my TV (specs say 6" deep and my TV only have about 4" of room on top)

I'm wondering if there was something cheaper I should be considering? or something with a smaller center channel?  Just wanted to get suggestions from people for my situation that I should research.

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2003, 03:19 pm »
Well, you could try to pick up the M&K's used. There's someone here on AC that's got a damn near new pair of K4's he's trying to sell http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=5129&highlight=tripole

While I wouldn't mind them for my setup, I just can't justify spending the $ at moment.

jjb

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2003, 01:25 am »
Do yourself a favor and take a listen to the paradigm or definitive technologies line of speakers based on your experience, sound system, budget and other requirements they would be a good fit.  Also take a look at the Hsu Research Sub line, great reviews and best performance for the money.:D