OK, now the best pre/pro for under $1k - for the rest of us!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Seriously, I am not going to spend over 1k for my HT pre/pro this decade. Total on HT will be well over 1k, of course.

Yamaha? Outlaw? other?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:19 am »
Is there a prepro you can buy new for under $1k besides the Outlaw?  Okay, I think that there's an entry level Adcom you can get for about $900 now.  Beyond that I can't think of one, unless you get a new-in-box specimen of some older, obsolete unit.  That doesn't mean there ain't one, of course...

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2003, 04:21 pm »
question really is, what are the uses and sources you have and what features do you need.  If 5.1 is just fine and you don't need the latest and greatest I rec'd buying a used pre/pro on the 'gon from someone who has to have the latest and greatest.  This is what I did.  Bought a B&K AVR4090 for $450 and works great.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2003, 06:42 pm »
I guess I was thinking he meant new price.  Used might be a better way to go in that situation, I guess.

It does all come down to what you need.  Personally, I wouldn't have much use for a peice that didn't have PL II, such is the level of improvement it gives you.  That would limit me to a relatively recent model.

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2003, 08:39 pm »
There is another approach to getting a pre/pro that is a bit lower tech but viable.  Many of the better HT receivers have preamp outputs that could be run to higher class amplifiers.
If the preamp section is sufficiently quiet and has the ability to provide the decoding for the needed sound formats you could save getting a separate pre/pro.

I use this method w/ my Arcam AVR200 to save having to start over and buying a pre/pro.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2003, 01:43 am »
My plan is to integrate into my 2-channel. I have the ACA peamp with A/V pass-through. so I guess I would be preamping only the remaining 3.1(or 2).

Used is definitely a possibility.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2003, 01:54 am »
It doesn't quite work that way.  What happens is you will pass through the ACA, like it's not there.

All 5.1 channels will be controlled by whatever processor you use.

If it was me, I would get a used Pioneer Elite TX xxxxxx  receiver and have seperate amps for the fronts (which you have) and use the amps in the receiver for the surrounds.

I would also get a matching amp for the center channel.

Models that I like are TX 27, 29, 37, 39, 47 and 49

Higher first number represent newer year, higher second number represents higher model number

Generally the lower the number, the less it will cost.

michael w

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2003, 03:16 am »
Marbles is right on the money.

For well under $1k you can pick up a new AVR that has all the latest processing modes etc. and can be easily integrated into your existing system.

A win/win situation.

cheerio

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2003, 03:36 am »
Outlaw = $850
HK AVR525 - $650
HK AVR8000 - $800-$1000

I personally would find a good (some had problems) AVR8000 since it has Logic 7 and 5 x 100wpc amps that are very good.

It is the only non-Lexicon product that will allow you to use Logic 7 with 5.1 sources, although differently than the Lexi.

Don't use the center channel amp (most have a slight buzz)

But make no mistake, this is the best sounding Reciever, I have ever heard.

And all the amps are "assignable" for bi-amping, multi-room, and other cool stuff. :notworthy:

thp

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2003, 05:06 am »
Audio Refinement Pre-2 DSP is $1300, so it's a little out of your range, but you should be able to snag one easily for under $1k.

Sa-dono

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2003, 05:14 am »
Well since this is just for HT, you may want to take a look at used Lexicons.

KevinW

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2003, 04:22 pm »
what about a home theater PC?  

I have plans to make my HT room PC in the near future.  Total computer hardware will be about $500-600. It will have great picture quality, can record FM radio and TV shows, and will be the MP3 jukebox for my entire musical library.  My HT room will be my living room, so the jukebox will be very handy for entertaining guests.  Oh yeah, and I'll probably use Ogg Vorbis instead of MP3 because I use GPL software whenever I can.

With an M-Audio Revolution sound card, and a multichannel Class D amplifier, sound quality should be really really good. And it will be easy to upgrade the sound processing capability.

When I'm ready, I'll also add in a HDTV card for a couple of hundred dollars.

shokunin

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2003, 05:21 am »
I'm all for an HTPC solution, however, they lack several key elements for use in true pre/pro.  Audio/video swithing (multiple Digital and analog input, and component video input) and the fact that any other external DTS/DD sources (Satellite Receiver or Tivo) using AC-3 can't easily be inputted into an HTPC, decoded and sent via analog outputs of the M-Audio Revo.   The Revo is a good card but it lacks SPDIF input... what were they thinking?

There's no question that HTPC's can provide excellent DVD playback, but I've failed trying to get it working as basic prepro.  I have 2 HTPC's running, but they are used primarily for video.

shokunin

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2003, 05:23 am »
I'd concur with Sa-dono that a used Lexicon (MC-1 / DC-2) would be good choices.  They are extremely reliable with few bugs compared to some of the other prepro's, including my Theta.

michael w

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2003, 11:55 am »
Are you likely to find an MC-1 or DC-1 for under $1k though ???

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2003, 01:26 pm »
DC1's are going for about $700 on the 'gon with DD/DTS/L7 while MC-1s are in the $1500 range right now used.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2003, 12:38 am »
I can't comment on the quality, as I haven't heard, but I know NAD is releasing a separate pre-pro immediately after the CEDIA show that's supposed to be something like an NAD 900 series?  It's not the expensive "S" class variation, and matches the look of the receivers and integrated amps in aesthetics.  I believe the MSRP for each is ~$1400, but I could be wrong.  This would make used units available for under $1000.

I plan on getting a set in eventually to play with, but I thought I'd pass along the info in case there are any NAD loyalists out there.

Regards,

Rupesh

bwkendall

I am a big believer in using an AV receiver with pre-outs
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2003, 09:17 pm »
as my pre/pro.  I bought an HK AVR-65 from HarmanAudio.com for a fraction of MSRP.  Then I bought external Parasound amplification (HCA 1000A) for my front LR only.  When I listen to music, it is generally 2 channel (or 2.1 to be more precise).  When I go into HT mode, the AVR-65 holds it's own with the center and surround channels.  I did have to spend some time balancing out the speaker levels with pink noise and a meter, though.

Cost of AVR-65 with full warranty.......$270
Cost of Parasound amp.....................$650