inexpensive center channel?

dayneger

« on: 5 Aug 2003, 04:05 pm »
I'm planning on expanding my 2-channel to include at least a middle channel for HT and am looking for a fairly inexpensive (<$250) center speaker.

My mains are the infamous Peter's Studio's, monitors with the Vifa Ring Radiator and Scanspeak 6.5" Super Revelators.  The center doesn't need to be this good, but ideally will have a similiar sound character so that pans don't sound really odd.

Finished speakers or kits are both fine and I need a fairly small enclosure due to space constraints.  I'll be using a Denon 1802 for the center and rears, with my AKSA 100W handling the mains.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

:-) Dayne

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2003, 04:10 pm »
Have you tried to contact Peter for just a single speaker?

batmanslc

Center Channel
« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2003, 04:53 pm »
Dayne,  For the past 3 years I've used a Paradigm CC-350 and have been very pleased. I have used it with a WIDE VARIETY of main including
Planars, Talon Raven, Quad 12L, Von Schweikert VR1, to name a few.  
They are easy to find on Audiogon. Now I am looking at an AXiom center only because I need something not so heavy because it will sit on top of a Sony 46" widescreen.

Cheeers

dayneger

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2003, 10:57 am »
Hi Marbles,

Actually, I haven't tried to contact Peter.  Last year I asked him a couple of questions while I was building my Studio's and he more or less blew me off.  Not exactly the kind of individual I feel like supporting and I regret having gotten the Studio's from him.

Batmanslc, thanks for the tip.  The Paradigm looks kind of big, but maybe one of the Axioms or Athena Technology centers would do--my HT doesn't need to be the same level as my 2-channel.

Dayne

Marbles

Peter is a Dick
« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2003, 01:26 pm »
Dayne, I understand completely about Peter.

The reason for my question was that A: Peter seems to be having a fire sale and his prices are very cheap by his standards right now, at least on his electronics.

B: You can buy the drivers and a similarly sized cabinet and make your own center channel but it's the XO that would be the tricky part.

I guess if it's a simple XO you could have someone clone one from one of your speakers, but all in all it would be cleanest and simplest if you could work something out with Peter.

That way your 3 front speakers would match exactly...the best possible thing  :wink:

dayneger

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2003, 07:18 pm »
Marbles, I see that we're in agreement about Peter. . .  :wink:

I could make another Studio, I'd just have to figure out how to shield the woofer.  The XO is very simple and I'd just need to order the parts, soldering the others together was pretty easy.  Just seems like overkill for my the modest number of movies I watch. . .

Thanks and take care,

:)  Dayne

TIC

Believe it or not...........
« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2003, 01:17 am »
Dayne,

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. I wanted to add inexpensive HT to my 2 channel rig. I tried a couple of different things including a Paradigm CC-170 (I think). It didn't do it for me, so I started looking for another inexpensive option.

I stumbled across a review for, believe it or not, a new Pioneer speaker line called Iso-Drive. I searched and found an incredibly low price for the Pioneer S-DC1-K center speaker. It is a 3-way design and it is pretty cool looking too.

Anyway, I was very happy with the Pioneer S-DC1-K and also purchased the matching S-DS1-H Surround Speakers. Very cool for the price and I still own them. I no longer have the center as I went to a wall mount speaker for my HT use, but I still think it is one of THE inexpensive center channel deals.

Check it out at :

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_4165_36314,00.html

Also, if you do a search via www.pricescan.com, you will find this speaker for $89. It is a killer deal at this price and is probably worth the $189 list price. The mathcing S-DS1-H surrounds at the internet price of under $90 are also a killer deal. I like mine.

BTW, so you don't think I'm some kind of uninformed internet crackpot, my 2-channel rig is Cary CD-308 w/volume control>Bottlehead Paramours>Reference 3A MM DeCapos. HT is Sony STR-DA4ES, Sony DVD, Jamo A510 Art LCR speakers, Pioneer S-DS1-H surrounds, NHT SubOne-i.

Forgot to mention the one potential issue with the Pioneer S-DC1-K Center speaker. The woofer fires up, so it requires a few inches of clearance ABOVE the speaker.
Enjoy,

TIC

bwkendall

Danger Will Robinson!
« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2003, 06:15 pm »
At that price point I think you are going to be sorely disappointed in any center channel you listen to.  Given the tweeters in your main speakers, what I would do is increase my budget by about $100 and get the Polk CSi40 center channel.  You might be able to get this cc for about $325 at www.outpost.com (Fry's Electronics).  Crutchfield and Circuit City sometimes have this speaker at a really good selling price.

jjb

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2003, 12:51 am »
Want an inexpensive center channel, that's easy don't buy one. If your front mains are accurate and have good to excellent off-axis responce a center channel is a waste of money. Do a little research you will find most well respected audiofiles recommend a 4 channel w/ sub. Unless you're home is a big as a movie theater and you need a center to fill the void. I guarentee if you have excellent mains and you try a center it won't be long before you disconnect the center. It's my opinion that center channels are nothing more than marketing hype for HT. Good Luck :nono: