surround for my camper van

ibthebest

surround for my camper van
« on: 25 Aug 2003, 10:34 pm »
I need lots of help and someone from the rv forum said you guys could give me the best advice.  I am converting a chevy van into a camper with a pop up, canvas roof.  I love my TV at night and want to have surround in the van for movies on sattelite.  The listening space of my 'living room" is quite small (6 ft square) so it won't take a big system.   What I think would work well is small cubes mounted on the walls and a receiver with 5.1.  My budget is somewhat flexible; I think I can afford what the space can handle.  I just don't know where to start.  I know the speaker wire and placement is really important for two reasons.  First, it will be hard to replace or move items after the van is converted and secondly, I have been told, some nice systems come with junky wire.   I would also like a nice 13 or 15 inch LCD t.v.  I will have a Xantrex 2000 watt inverter with two 100 amp batteries for those nights I can't get electrical hook up.  Thanks for your help.

bwkendall

Okay......you have waited long enough for a response.
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2003, 05:26 pm »
What I suggest you do is go look at the Klipsch satellite 5.1 speaker system, which I believe retails between $299 and $399.  This speaker system was originally designed for PC-based HT applications, but it is can be used in virtually any HT application.  All you would have to do is add a DVD player and a monitor.

Back in June this speaker system was briefly reviewed by either S&V or TAS (forgive my ginkgo biloba deprived brain for not being more specific), and the reviewer was quite ecstatic at the performance to cost ratio.  He mentioned that if one were setting up a small 5.1 system in an apartment it would be difficult to justify buying one of the $1,000 - $1,400 speaker systems made by others.

Just my two cents.  YMMV.