Opinions on the Pioneer DV-AX10?

bubba966

« on: 24 Jul 2003, 11:37 pm »
I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these beasts in a couple of weeks.

Was wondering if any of you have used one. My main (probably only) use of it will be interlaced DVD watching on the component outs.

I know it's line doubler isn't the greatest in the world. Nor does it do SACD properly. But I really don't give a damn about either of those "problems" that the AX10 is known for as I won't be using either feature.

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2003, 12:53 am »
then why do you want it?

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2003, 02:33 am »
I'd like to pick one up as it should be a pretty good DVD transport. It's probably the most overbuilt DVD player I've ever seen.

I've thought about getting a DV-09 as I liked the one I'd borrowed from a friend. But I'd have to get the firmware updated if I got one and I don't care to pay to have that done.

I've not had what I'd consider a real DVDP to use since I packed up my DVL-91 to keep as a backup LDP a year ago. I've just been using my region free deck as a main DVDP. Of which I never intended it to be used as a main DVD source.

And I wouldn't normally seriously consider picking one of these things up. But a shop around the area's got a few of these in (new A stock) at a pretty good price.

Not to mention it's a dead on build/cosmetic match to my Pioneer HLD-X9 HD LD Player :wink: :mrgreen:

I don't actually recall hearing anyone's comments about one as I've not really spoke with anyone that's had one. I recall hearing that it converted SACD to PCM somewhere in the decoding process. Which supposedly is no good sonically. And Pioneer has never done their progressive outs exceptionally well, and I don't expect the AX10 to be any different.

But like I said, I won't be using it for SACD, nor will I be using it's progressive out. So what little I do know of it is worthless as it doesn't pertain to my useage.

So Josh, have you had any experience with one? I'm sure it doesn't look like your RP91 as what I've heard about that player is not what a typical Pioneer looks like. But I'm used to and fond of the Pioneer look on DVD's and it appears that the AX10 would be the best interlaced deck they've built so far.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2003, 02:55 am »
Well, I bought an AX10 a week ago and am more than happy with it so far as a DVDP.

Eric the Red picked his up today and immediately sold his SACD 1000 as it sounds like the AX10 (right out of the box even) more than smoked the 1000.

Anyone else have a chance to play with one?

michael w

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2003, 04:34 am »
Given that this is an early first generation universal player, is it being heavily discounted ?

It is a mighty fine looking beast.

cheers

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2003, 05:27 am »
I believe it's actually the first universal player that was produced.

And yeah, it's discontinued and thus was heavily discounted.

It seems like it's built to last. Not only is it pretty good sized, but it weighs in at 50 some odd pounds. I don't know for sure as I've not bothered to crack the manual out of the bag yet.

I shoulda had them hand truck it out to my car when I picked it up! :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2003, 02:47 pm »
I hadn't had any experience with the AX10 except for seeing one in action in a retail shop.   I just wondered since it is interlaced if it would serve as a modern transport well.  Maybe progressive/non-prog doesn't mean that much esp when you get Pioneer's implementation which I as well really like. Even my cheap Pio DV-525 that I first had, had a really good picture.  

Are you using any sort of scaler?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2003, 05:30 pm »
I've been anxious to see what you think of it, Bubba.  Too bad you only have one CD...I would like to know how well it works as a pure CD transport.

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2003, 04:32 am »
Quote from: JoshK
I hadn't had any experience with the AX10 except for seeing one in action in a retail shop.   I just wondered since it is interlaced if it would serve as a modern transport well.  Maybe progressive/non-prog doesn't mean that much esp when you get Pioneer's implementation which I as well really like. Even my cheap Pio DV-525 that I first had, had a really good picture.  

Are you using any sort of scaler?

Josh, it does have "progressive" output (I really wish they'd never called it that and instead would have found something to call it closer to what it actually is), though I'm not using it as such.

It doesn't seem to be too hard to get a decent doubler/quad/scaler built into a display. And if you can't find that, there seems to be plenty of great external units available. So I don't put much into the doubler being built into the DVDP as it seems very easy to meet or exceed that performance going with external video processing.

And no, I'm not using any sort of scaler or doubler. I'm running a SD Analog Tosh CRT. And yes, I know I need to upgrade my display at some point. And would most likely do so with a 16:9 Loewe as I've not found anything better.

I've never had much experience with the AX10 either before I bought mine. I'd drool over it once in a while when I was in Magnolia. Though I never got real serious about it as I never thought I'd own one. But I couldn't pass one up when they sold their remaining stock out for $999. Saved $5,000 by waiting 2 1/2 years... :lol:

Quote from: Rob Babcock
I've been anxious to see what you think of it, Bubba.  Too bad you only have one CD...I would like to know how well it works as a pure CD transport.

Well, you won't believe this. But I've actually been listening to redbook since I bought this sucker! :o I even pulled out some CD-R's that I've been given by people over the last few years...

It sounds really nice as a CD transport. Better than ANY Pioneer DVDP I've owned or used. As it should be seeing that list was at least 3X more than any other Pioneer DVDP's list price.

And you're more than welcome to stop by and see it in action for yourself sometime Rob. You too Josh.