Any other projector dudes out here?

KeithR

« on: 28 Mar 2003, 12:13 am »
My Marantz S2 comes in next week...can't wait to be back on the "big" screen :)

mgalusha

« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2003, 03:04 am »
There are a few of us. I have a Sony VPL-VW10HT. It's a 2+ year old LCD projector and pretty far from SOTA but in a nice dark room, in "cinema black" mode, the picture is pretty good. I would like something better but this will serve for quite a while yet. At least another year.

I believe Bubba in WA has a projector but I don't know what it is. He will likely chime in as well. :)

You will be spoiled once it's up and running. IMO even a very good big screen TV doesn't compare once you have a decent projector. And of course you don't have to give up the floor space. Now a good plasma display, that's another story. :)

Mike

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2003, 03:51 am »
Plus Piano DLP in my rig.  Very nice, great colors and bright enough to be very punchy in a dark room.  No true high def but gorgeous with DVD.

I shudder to contemplate going back to a tiny little crt in a box! :o

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2003, 12:23 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
I believe Bubba in WA has a projector but I don't know what it is. He will likely chime in as well. :)

I don't yet have a projector. You musta been thinking of someone else.

Though I have mentioned in the past viewing things on a TI 3 Chip DLP. But that's at the custom design setup of my local shop. I'd love to have one, but they're still upwards of $70,000 I believe.

I'm only running a 32" analog Tosh Cinema Series. But it's got the best picture I've even seen on a analog set.

I wouldn't mind a 30" Loewe Aconda. Or if I had the room a Pioneer Elite RPTV, or a mid-priced DLP ($10,000-$25,000). LCD's are alright. And a good 9" CRT is too expensive.

But I'd pass on the Plasma's for now. I still don't care for them, but they're almost there...

Johng316

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2003, 05:04 pm »
Hey all!

I have a Sony 1272Q CRT projector.  It's not very brite, so it needs a dark room.  In a dark room, however, this thing is awesome.  Excellent contrast, colors, blacks.  I'm running on a 7 foot wide screen now with HTPC, and the results are outstanding.

The only beef I have with the 1272 is focus and convergence are manual, and I find I need to touch up the convergence every couple of months.

Also, the thing weighs 180 pounds, so getting it ceiling mounted was a pain in the butt.  However, once mounted, it's trouble free (until I have to service it, and then getting it down will be trouble).

I look forward to the day when I can get a 9" CRT, but until then my 1272 is excellent.

John G

Bwanagreg

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2003, 05:06 pm »
I just got a Panny PT-L300U two weeks ago. 96X54 screen made from Dazian Celtic cloth fabric, with a layer of duvetyne fabric behind it to block transmitted light. I have my speakers completely behind the screen (poking through holes cut in the duvetyne). The screen is suspended from the ceiling and can me removed for critical listening, although I have to say the screen is very acoustically transparent (similar to grill cloth). The room is completely light controlled (it's a basement room), and I'm very happy with the picture given what I paid for it!

Projectors seem to be on the same price/performance arc that PCs were on 10-15 years ago. I'll upgrade in a few years. In the meantime there is lot's of great audio stuff to buy.  :evil:

Brandon B

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2003, 08:56 pm »
Though I have mentioned in the past viewing things on a TI 3 Chip DLP. But that's at the custom design setup of my local shop. I'd love to have one, but they're still upwards of $70,000 I believe.]

Panasonic's new 7500 and 7600 3 chip DLP's (XGA and SXGA respectively) aer going for about $18K and $22K respectively.

And I have a SE 20HD (Sanyo PLV70 rebadge) PJ and a 10 foot diagonal screen.

BB

KevinW

« Reply #7 on: 28 Mar 2003, 10:12 pm »
I'm getting ready to buy a projector... either a Panasonic LT300U, or an Infocus X1.  If I can get acceptable feedback on the Panny's ability to project data from a PC, then I'll probably go for that.  Anyone have any clue about that?

Brandon B

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2003, 11:09 pm »
Check out the AVS <$5K projector forum.  Almost certainly someone there could answer.

BB

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2003, 08:41 pm »
Quote from: bubba966
I don't yet have a projector. You musta been thinking of someone else.

Doh! I somehow had the idea you had a projector.  :oops:

mike

shokunin

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2003, 09:31 pm »
JVC G10u w/ISCO II 16:9 lens and Stewart 110" Electriscreen Firehawk.  Gotta love DILA colors, although black-level could be better.

OBF

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2003, 01:14 am »
Didn't see this thread earlier.  I've got an InFocus LS110.  I got it almost a year ago and it's been great, but not very close to SOTA these days.  I'm only just now building a screen because I've been too lazy and a white wall was fine, but now I've moved and I can't use it without a screen over some windows, which is probably good since I should have done it a lot sooner.  I'd really like to upgrade to their newer HD2 model as I can get it at employee prices, but it's still a lot of money  :?

Keven (or anyone) if you decide you want the X1, I may be able to get you favorable pricing.

Sedona Sky Sound

Can't beat a CRT
« Reply #12 on: 11 Apr 2003, 03:32 am »
Except for the fan noise, I really like my Zenith Pro 895x 7" CRT projector. Zenith discontinued them about a year ago so I was able to pick up a brand new one for $3200. If you look around the web you could probably still find one. For a lit room it would not be bright enough but is absolutely incredible in a dark/moderately dark room. Setup was actually a breeze (not much harder than setting up most LCD/DLP projectors). Fantastic blacks, fantastic colors, and with progressive scan output from a DVD player you can't even see the pixils on a 100" screen when you are standing close enought to touch it  :o  

I have reviewed a significant number of LCD and DLP projectors but never found one that I liked that was even close to being within my budget. Screen door effect, pixilation, stuck pixils, etc also turned me off. The thought of having to spend $400 - $700 for a new lamp every year or two also was a major factor. I figure that when the lamps die in my CRT in about 10 years that a new cheap/new/better technology will finally be there to replace it  :mrgreen:

My only mistake with my HT setup was my screen. I went with a pulldown Da-Lite screen and have never been able to get it to stay flat. Oh, well. We all make mistakes and for the price I can live with it  :oops:

Julian
www.sedonaskysound.com

PeteHK

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2003, 10:38 am »
I've got 2 projectors: a JVC D-ILA M15 and a Panasonic AE-100. The JVC is considerably better than the Panny, but at US$12-13,000 (US street price) it should be! Both are driven by a custom HTPC. Sound is output from the comp to a Yamaha receiver to 5 nOrh monblocs and 5 nOrh 9.0s. Looking to add a Stewart screen and sub (or 2!) at a later date.

Cheers,

Pete

LightninBoy

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2003, 02:45 am »
Funny you should ask.

Just got our HT room finished a few weeks ago. A Yamaha DPX1000 DLP projector is the center piece. It is very, very nice.

GCS

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2003, 01:41 am »
NEC HT1000 here

hk29

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2003, 06:45 pm »
NEC LT150

I'm pretty happy with it.  I use it at school in group meetings and for my HT.  Its a lot of fun.  Its small light and looks pretty damn good.

Prices are dropping dramatically - for those that never thought you could own one - you can now!!!  There are lots of nice projectors for <$2000!

arthur

projectors x1
« Reply #17 on: 9 Jun 2003, 02:29 am »
i don't know about the avs forum. it is very heavily censored by administrators who seem to be continuously pitching a sale... i don't feel too good there.

i'm just writing this to relay my experience with the Infocus X1.  the picture is good but its bloody loud so i doubt if anyone at this forum would be able to stand it. i'm swapping it with a Panasonic 200u which is MUCH quieter. my friend and i also saw rainbows while watching a movie. they didn't bother me but my friend was annoyed.

i heard that sanyo z1 is also a good choice and is about as quiet as the panasonic 200u (24db i believe), however it is also more expensive. the best prices for now seem to be at projectorpeople.com, but if you give them a show watch out, their staff does not seem to be knowledgeable.

ps i am purchasing a projector because i hate being addicted to tv and refuse to damage my imaging by placing a large big box between my speakers.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2003, 02:23 am »
The SIM Seleco HT200 recently had the MSRP reduced to below $5000.  The picture quality is certainly superior to any plasma display I've seen.  The new version also has a built in farouidja processor; amazing how technology improves every year.  I know people are of the opinion that CRT is superior to DLP, but SIM really knows their technology implementation.  Like anything else in audiophilia - the quality of the implementation matters as much as the technology itself.  Infocus and Proxima displays are also very well regarded, but I was always under the impression they were geared more for office presentations versus home-theatre.

Regards,

Rup

KeithR

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2003, 12:23 am »
I just gotta say, i love my Marantz...dvi via Bravo 1 hopefully to come soon once my DVI cable ships...