Sony buys Audeze

dflee

Sony buys Audeze
« on: 30 Aug 2023, 12:52 am »
Didn’t read the article but saw that Sony acquired Audeze.
What’s that about?

AllanS

Re: Sony buys Audeze
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2023, 12:59 am »
What little I remember had to do with gaming.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2023, 01:01 am »
Whea.. bad news, it will be a Nokia (MS).
Sony products have programmed obsolecence.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2023, 01:43 pm »
I look forward to seeing these companies meld their technologies and produce better headphones for those who need or even prefer them to speakers. As far as planned obsolescence goes, I think Bose ranks right on top of that list, but we live and we learn (or try to).  :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2023, 02:41 pm »
I don’t see how a headphone can be made obsolete. That’s like saying that speakers can be made obsolete.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2023, 05:33 pm »
See laser transport that refuse tô read discs after some time or IC716 on SCD-1 and 777.

viggen

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2023, 08:23 pm »
cell phone is not obsolete but erricsson sure is.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2023, 09:17 pm »
May happen that Sony close Audeze as Ericson after 1 or 2 years.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2023, 04:39 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2023, 11:31 pm »
If one like planars seems a good time to buy a LCD-2Classic, they wont last long IMO. Found some blah blah blah:

Sony buys Audeze, sound technology brand that will launch PlayStation headphones
On this Thursday 24Aug2023 Sony Interactive Entertainment announced the purchase of Audeze, a sound technology company that develops professional headphones for audiophiles and gamers. The value of the acquisition was not disclosed.

According to the Japanese giant, the deal will be used to develop better audio products for PlayStation consoles. However, Audeze will continue to operate independently and produce multiplatform products.

Before the partnership was revealed, PlayStation had already announced the Pulse Elite headset and Pulse Explore earbuds, which feature planar-magnetic drivers. This is a technology patented by Audeze.

"We're excited to bring the Audeze experience to the PlayStation ecosystem, building on the great strides we've made with PlayStation 5's Tempest 3D AudioTech and the Pulse 3D wireless headset," said Hideaki Nishino, senior vice president of platform experience at Sony Interactive Entertainment.''

Sankar Thiagasamudram, CEO of Audeze, argued that the agreement allows the US brand to expand its business and provide even better products.

"We also look forward to contributing to Sony Interactive's efforts to take PlayStation audio experiences to the next level," he said.
===================
Sony Interactive Entertainment, the division of Sony that’s responsible for PlayStation, is acquiring the high-end headphones maker Audeze, according to a press release. Sony says that “the acquisition will strengthen SIE’s efforts to continue innovating when it comes to the audio experience of PlayStation games.”

Audeze will operate independently and still make products for multiple platforms, though Sony notes that it will be “benefiting from being a part of the PlayStation ecosystem.” Terms of the acquisition weren’t disclosed.

Sony’s press release highlights how Audeze’s headphones use “patented technologies and unique planar magnetic drivers to deliver an outstanding sound experience” for consumers and recording professionals. Sony specifically mentioned planar magnetic drivers on Thursday when it shared more details on new PlayStation audio products, including the Pulse Explore earbuds and Pulse Elite headset, so it’s feasible this deal has been in the works for some time.

Both headsets will also take advantage of a new technology called PlayStation Link that brings low latency and lossless audio when used with the PS5 and new PlayStation Portal game streaming device.

elwappo99

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2023, 10:50 pm »
I don’t see how a headphone can be made obsolete. That’s like saying that speakers can be made obsolete.

Pretty easily. Within a year of discontinuing very expensive headphones Sony stops producing spare parts for it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2023, 01:11 am »
Pretty easily. Within a year of discontinuing very expensive headphones Sony stops producing spare parts for it.
+1  :thumb:
Philips was the great pioneer in Programmed Obsolescence in electronics.
In the 1960s when I was a child and still watched TV, my father bought a new TV set, no color TV at that time it was B&W, with various tubes, it was Philips brand.

The warranty was only 12 months, it worked well under warranty but after 1 year it started to breaking every 6 months, at that time that piece of junk wasnot a cheap device.

Around 2010/15 I saw the same thing happen to a Philips 40'' Led TV of my sister's, it broke down exactly 2 months after the warranty expired.

So now 2023 my $5000 Sony SCD-1 broke the IC-716 at main board, it control everything, the motor, the top door, all the Laser assembly etc and yes you right Sony dont have this Chip to sell me.

So my advice to anyone is never buy anything from these two brands, it will broke or programed obsolete, instead buy a Chinese brand IMHO.