Foreshadowing the HT4

R Swerdlow

Foreshadowing the HT4
« on: 19 Apr 2009, 02:33 am »
I visited Dennis earlier today to hear the final HT4 prototype.  They will be publicly shown very soon at the AK Fest (http://www.akfest.com/index.html) on the first weekend in May.  Dennis says that Jim has a large showroom (http://www.akfest.com/floor_main.html) on the main floor of the hotel so he can properly display it.

It is a 3-way speaker, larger and heavier than the HT3 and with a number of very interesting or perhaps innovative features.  It has a custom ribbon tweeter, different than those in the HT2 or HT3, and a most unusual midrange driver - unlike anything I've seen.  The woofer is a 12" aluminum driver made by the same manufacturer of the HT3 woofer.

Each speaker has two separate cabinets, one housing the tweeter and midrange, and sitting beneath, is a much larger cabinet containing the woofer in front and two 12" passive radiators, one on each side.  The cabinets I saw are test mules, prototypes made of MDF.  Dennis tells me the final design will be made of a material other than MDF, and the mid/tweeter cabinets will be somewhat more complex in shape than the test mules I saw.  Instead of being constructed as boxes assembled from flat panels, they are made of numerous individually cut cross-sectional pieces that, when stacked together, create a uniquely shaped curved compartment for the midrange and tweeters.  The tweeter mounts with little or no extra front baffle around it, and the midrange section opens in the back :o.

The woofer is in its own similarly constructed cabinet.  Although the bass test modules I saw were made from MDF panels, Dennis says the final version will share the machined cross-section construction of the upper cabinet.  It is the most rigid and heavy cabinetry I've ever seen.  The way these cabinets are designed and constructed, I can't imagine them suffering from panel resonance.  I can't wait to see photos of the real thing from AK Fest.

The HT4 is definitely more sensitive than the HT3 and is likely an easier load to drive.  Dennis used a 200 wpc amp that seemed to do well with it.  This the same amp that suffers and groans (and at least once crapped out) driving HT3s to a loud level.

How does it sound?  I've heard the HT2 (standard reflex cabinet, not the TL design) and the HT3.  Both of these do sound better than the SongTower, but as a happy SongTower owner, I'm not jealous of them.  The HT4 is another story - I loved them.  Yes, of course, they go deep and are as clean and undistorted sounding as any speaker I've known.  But that is hardly what makes these so wonderful.  There is a soundstage depth, a 3-dimensional quality, to these that I've never experienced before.  It really captivated me.  I know I'll probably never have the money burning a hole in my pocket to pay for them (unless I hit the lottery), but a guy can always dream!  I wish I could describe them better, but maybe you can see and hear them at AK Fest, or other audio trade shows later this year.

Dennis has outdone himself on the design of these speakers.  If they get Jim's usual stunning cabinetry details and finish, I think they are going to be truly worthy Flagship speakers for the Salk line :thumb: :thumb:.

Richard
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2009, 10:01 pm by R Swerdlow »

emac

Re: Forshadowing the HT4
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2009, 02:54 am »
Thanks for the review/foreshadowing.  Can't wait to hear these at AKFest.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Foreshadowing the HT4
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2009, 04:34 am »

Thanks for the 'peek' Richard. Sounds pretty special. With luck I'll get to hear the various sound characteristics at the Lincoln gtg this fall. Though like you, short of winning the lottery I'll be perfectly happy with my STs.   :thumb:

R Swerdlow

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2009, 10:59 am »
I forgot to add a fun story about the test bass modules for the HT4s.

Dennis was demonstrating how low and powerful the HT4 bass modules were.  With an audio frequency generator set at 18 Hz, his whole house seemed to vibrate.  Doors, picture frames, projector screen, even entire plasterboard walls rattled.  It felt more like a dozen out of balance washing machines on a wooden floor than a loudspeaker.

Only one of the bass modules I heard had the two passive radiators that I described above.  The other was an unsuccessful attempt at a mass loaded transmission line cabinet for the 12" aluminum woofer.  Dennis liked the sound from the passive radiator version better.  At 18 Hz, this TL module created a wind storm from its vent hole.  Bits of polyfill fluff flew out the hole, and traveled 6 feet or more through the air.  I felt like I was the guy in that "Blown Away" poster from the 1970s.

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2009, 10:03 pm by R Swerdlow »

ardee

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2009, 03:10 pm »
OK, That's it.    Jim i will be sending those drawings to you on Monday and that 12" driver is sounding very interesting! :wink:

Sorry for the disruption of the scheduled broadcast. I can't help myself.

Can't wait to see those HT4 things.

Robert D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2009, 03:39 pm »
 Any word on the finish that will be on the show samples? It's always a sight to see Jim's artistry :drool:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2009, 03:51 pm »
I only hope Jim has enough time to really get the HT4's ready and sounding good before the show.  I would hate for things to get rushed and to either have problems or not be fully ready.

From what I have heard, it sounds like the HT4's will be a fantastic speaker.

BTW, many of the technical aspects described above are implemented in my current speakers and I believe they were key in my choosing and preferring them over my HT3's. 

George

jermmd

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2009, 04:34 pm »
I wonder how the crossovers are set. Could the tweeter/midrange module stand alone for someone who can't afford the whole package and maybe already has a high quality subwoofer? I can't wait to see-hear the HT4's. I keep thinking of ways to come up with the money and sneak this purchase past my wife. Unlikely! LOL

floresjc

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2009, 05:03 pm »
Pardon the ignorance, but does this unveiling at the show mean that pricing and availability will be announced too? Or shortly after?

Jeff B.

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2009, 06:02 pm »
I wonder how the crossovers are set. Could the tweeter/midrange module stand alone for someone who can't afford the whole package and maybe already has a high quality subwoofer? I can't wait to see-hear the HT4's. I keep thinking of ways to come up with the money and sneak this purchase past my wife. Unlikely! LOL

I designed the bass system for the HT4 with a target low frequency response that would rival any subwoofer out there. As a result, I believe Jim may be planning to make this section available as a stand-alone subwoofer too with its very low distortion output to a -3dB point at 18 Hz (and even deeper with room-gain). However, in the HT4, as a I understand it, this woofer section is being used as a true woofer and not a subwoofer, with a higher-than-subwoofer crossover point to a very special midbass driver. The crossover between the two has been meticulously designed by Dennis to provide the most perfect transition possible between the drivers. This being the case, and Jim can correct me if I spoke out of turn, but I doubt that there is any way to simply use the upper section with a subwoofer and get the same performance.

Jeff B.

gthomas

« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2009, 06:02 pm »
Hey Jermmd, I like your idea.!!  I already have a pair of JL Audio F113.  However, I could sell them and just use the HT4 etc, etc, etc!!  Oh hell does anyone want to by my HT3s?

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2009, 06:15 pm »
Any word on the finish that will be on the show samples? It's always a sight to see Jim's artistry :drool:

This first pair are being done in solid bamboo.  I chose cross laminated bamboo and since these are trans-laminated cabinets, you will see the laminations in the bamboo.  My thoughts are that I may use a deep rich dark red dye over the top of the bamboo.  We will probably be finishing up the cabinets by the end of this week and assembling them early next week.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2009, 06:16 pm »

This will not work.  Subs normally do not cross high enough and are not flat enough in terms of response that high up (around 300 Hz).

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2009, 06:18 pm »
Pardon the ignorance, but does this unveiling at the show mean that pricing and availability will be announced too? Or shortly after?

We probably will not have a name chosen yet since I wanted to let everyone here have some input in that regard.  But we should have pricing and availability at that time.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2009, 07:26 pm »

This will not work.  Subs normally do not cross high enough and are not flat enough in terms of response that high up (around 300 Hz).

- Jim

Right    Although the mystery midrange is a superb unit, it doesn't have enough power handling in the midbass (80-200 Hz) to be crossed to an active sub down low.  Also, much of the expense of this thing is in the upper cabinet and drivers.  So it would still be expensive as a stand-alone mid-tweet.   

Brucemck

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:43 pm »

Dennis / Jim, what's the approx efficiency of the midrange/tweeter and the woofer sections?  I assume it's that monster low end that's so power hungry?

Salivating over actively crossing with my DEQX, and thinking about amplification demands.  :icon_lol:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2009, 09:46 pm »

We probably will not have a name chosen yet since I wanted to let everyone here have some input in that regard.  But we should have pricing and availability at that time.

- Jim

Jim:

When thinking about names, will this speaker be a member of the Veracity Series or will this speaker establish a new series that "redefines the ambit of speaker performance?" 

drab

« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2009, 11:03 pm »
I would think it desrves its own series. The Audacity series. Yes, the Audacity W8T-3.  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2009, 12:11 am »
Jim:

When thinking about names, will this speaker be a member of the Veracity Series or will this speaker establish a new series that "redefines the ambit of speaker performance?" 

The only features this design will have in common with the Veracity series are 1) a woofer from the same family; and, 2) a ribbon tweeter.  To me, a Veracity series speaker is built upon the relationship between a Seas Excel driver and a ribbon tweeter.  Since no Seas driver will be used in this design, I feel it needs a unique identity of its own.  It will certainly be unlike any design we have done to date.

- Jim

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #19 on: 20 Apr 2009, 12:49 am »

The only features this design will have in common with the Veracity series are 1) a woofer from the same family; and, 2) a ribbon tweeter.  To me, a Veracity series speaker is built upon the relationship between a Seas Excel driver and a ribbon tweeter.  Since no Seas driver will be used in this design, I feel it needs a unique identity of its own.  It will certainly be unlike any design we have done to date.

- Jim

OK, my tiny little brain is thinking about both series names and speaker names, assuming that the speaker will be the initial model in a series of speakers.

Will bamboo be used for every cabinet or a section or sections thereof in this model?