Wood baffles

floresjc

Wood baffles
« on: 5 Apr 2009, 08:19 pm »
Has anyone seen an HT2-TL or SongTower with wood baffles instead of the satin black? I'm not even sure if the construction of the speaker would allow for it or not. It seems to be a really popular option with the HT3.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

floresjc

Re: Wood baffles
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2009, 08:37 pm »
I feel like an idiot now, I just got done looking at those bamboo ST thinking how awesome they were.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2009, 04:02 am »
Well, the bamboo pair has a solid bamboo full-length front baffle.  The HT2's do not.  They have a veneered front baffle.  But it is important to have a round-over on the cabinet edges.  So we route out the edges and glue in hardwood trim 1/2" deep and 3/4" wide.  When this is sanded flush with the cabinet surfaces, we can round the edges over without exposing any underlying MDF.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

fishinbob

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2009, 03:02 pm »
The machined aluminum on my RTs looks so good to me, I wouldn't have them any other way. Is there any plan to have the same feature for the HT2-TL?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2009, 03:19 am »
The machined aluminum on my RTs looks so good to me, I wouldn't have them any other way. Is there any plan to have the same feature for the HT2-TL?

A good friend of mine does the machining and we've talked about it.  The problem is, you really have to produce quite a few of them at a time to keep costs in line.  So you have money tied up in inventory just sitting on the shelf.  The the lead times are also somewhat long, so you have to re-order long before you run out as well.  All of which means you have a few thousand dollars tied up in order to make it work.

The other issue is cost.  Machined aluminum baffles are not cheap! We don't want to make the speakers so expensive that people can't afford them.

Other than that, I'd really like to do it and we just may.

- Jim