Amps for HT3

JP78

Re: Amps for HT3
« Reply #20 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:32 am »
it's not about the watts it's about the current delivery. i feel like watts are fine for guaging a fixed resistive load, which the speakers are certainly not. 

boatschool02

« Reply #21 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:57 am »
Hello,

For any of those who've heard the VK-600SE with HT-3's, by chance did you own/hear a VK-250SE, DNA-500, or Cary 500MB's on your way up the food chain?

I'm considering a VK-250SE and VK-51SE, but not sure if the 250 will be enough.  I had a VK-300xSE paired with some monitors and it was not able to handle the HT-3's, but I really like the house sound.

Thanks,

Luke

MaxCast

« Reply #22 on: 5 Apr 2009, 12:42 pm »
I feel like a light weight, but I'm using an Odyssey Stratos (180w) and it sounds great.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 5 Apr 2009, 12:59 pm »
Hello,

For any of those who've heard the VK-600SE with HT-3's, by chance did you own/hear a VK-250SE, DNA-500, or Cary 500MB's on your way up the food chain?

I'm considering a VK-250SE and VK-51SE, but not sure if the 250 will be enough.  I had a VK-300xSE paired with some monitors and it was not able to handle the HT-3's, but I really like the house sound.

Thanks,

Luke

I had a DNA-500 before the VK-600SE and while the DNA-500 was very good, the BAT was simply better in every way.

Both amps had more than enough power to do the HT3's justice.

George

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #24 on: 5 Apr 2009, 01:28 pm »
I had an Audio Research D200 when I got the salks
it was sluggish on dynamics and felt limited

I replaced it with a Moscode 401HR and never looked back
incredible detail, very dynamic and resolving
the salks sing with it

had to give up my all balanced ARC LS5 MKII preamp though
replaced with a dodd battery powered

don't know where my upgrade path would go

other nos tubes (telefunken and ampex)  for my moscode
or some mono blocks, perhaps

pete and george - you both owned moscodes and went to something else
curious about your findings (please pm or post here)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 5 Apr 2009, 01:41 pm »
Moscode had more warmth and body than the DNA-500, but didn't have the same drive and impact in the bass.  The VK-600SE had it all (for a ss amp) and was clearly a step or two up from the Moscode.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I have not heard a better amp on the HT3's than the VK-600SE.

George

boatschool02

« Reply #26 on: 5 Apr 2009, 01:55 pm »
Thanks for the insight.  I'm using some Odyssey Extreme SE Mono's right now with a Modwright pre-amp.

I bought the VK-300x to pair with some HT-1's or HT-2's but it looks like my HT-3 aren't going to sell in the current market.  (I'd love to compare the others in house, but having three pairs of speakers at once would mean this really is an addiction.) The BAT didn't have enough "oomph" but I found the house sound and texture intoxicating.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:22 pm »
Thanks for the insight.  I'm using some Odyssey Extreme SE Mono's right now with a Modwright pre-amp.

I bought the VK-300x to pair with some HT-1's or HT-2's but it looks like my HT-3 aren't going to sell in the current market.  (I'd love to compare the others in house, but having three pairs of speakers at once would mean this really is an addiction.) The BAT didn't have enough "oomph" but I found the house sound and texture intoxicating.

I'm shocked to hear that the VK-300x didn't work, but the Mono Extreme SE's are working.

I had a pair of Mono Extreme SE's and it was one of the biggest disappointments I have experienced in the last 10 years (based on my expectations after reading all the gushing posts here on AC).

Good luck on the sale, I am sure somebody will grab them soon.

George   

boatschool02

« Reply #28 on: 5 Apr 2009, 03:01 pm »
George,

Thanks for the input.  Maybe I'm crazy?  I certianly don't profess to have a trained ear.  I also owned the Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000 and even though it was more quiet, it didn't impress me any more than the Odyssey's.  The BAT VK-300x was better in almost every sense except it was weak on power and bass.  On a max scale of 140 counts, I had to run it at 90+ and the bass was just missing.

My HT-3's are 3 years old.  Did I read somewhere that the older ones are even more inefficient?  I'm not worried about the sale.  I'll be in a house until NOV10 when I hope to move to Hawaii.  I need to have the smaller speakers before the move.

My Odysseys SE's were built within the last year as a favor for the original owner and I'm the second owner.  I haven't called the company to see how my internals compare to the current best model.

I appreciate the feedback and will invariably be trying more gear in the next few weeks/months.  I'm not sure if I'll drop the cash for 600SE right away, but the DNA-500 and Cary MB's sound like decent stepping stones.

Luke

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #29 on: 18 Apr 2009, 01:16 am »
thanks george

really happy with my moscode especially on SRA vr stand and craz rack - really brings out the dynamics and tonal qualities of the amp. I play upright bass so I'm familiar with a warm open string e sound and the craz rack really brought out the dynamics and the low end of the moscode- some recordings are too strong

Curious a member on audiogon has both a BAT vk600 and vk75se and is selling both, he likes the mids better on the tube design - another is selling a pair of vk75se as mono blocks

then again I'm thinking perhaps a doshi preamp would bring more to the sound in my case than an amp upgrade

on a side note in my ht setup I just replaced B&W matrix IIs and center with the V3 and monster center wow
Jim has really done it again! And looks like I'll take him up on some rears and sides!

thanks BRM Peter - great stuff - so clean where there was grain before. Powering it with an arcam avr350
it sounds stunningly good on concert blu rays - I do have to turn amp up a little from an efficiency standpoint
but who cares - the clarity on movies is frightening!

Yes Live at Montreaux blu ray 24/96 is lighting up the v3's as we speak

still - real music listening I go to the dodd/moscode and my ht3s on my dedicated 2 channle vinyl setup

Tom

Philistine

« Reply #30 on: 18 Apr 2009, 06:33 pm »
I've been driving my HT3's with a Musical Fidelity KW500 (500+ watts per channel), and they drive them with ease.  I've just taken delivery of a Modwright KW150, and can confirm that the KWA has the power and dynamics to make the HT3's sing just as well.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 18 Apr 2009, 06:48 pm »
I've been driving my HT3's with a Musical Fidelity KW500 (500+ watts per channel), and they drive them with ease.  I've just taken delivery of a Modwright KW150, and can confirm that the KWA has the power and dynamics to make the HT3's sing just as well.

Very cool Phil.  I look forward to getting more detailed thoughts down the road.

One of these days it would be great to hear the Modwright in person.

George