Surround speakers revisited: Dipoles or Direct Radiators?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Just curious where everyone stands on this issue after years of discrete MC sound for movies.  The conventional wisdom has always been that dipoles are the preferred type for movies, although not every one has always agreed.

In my own rig, my speakers can be configured as bipoles or dipoles.  I feel that dipole operation has some advantages, but the fact that the woofers also operate as dipoles causes some midbass problems, so for the last couple years I've wired them as bipoles.

What do you guys prefer?

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2003, 07:58 pm »
Direct radiators for me ..........

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2003, 10:35 pm »
Marbles,

what are you using(brand)???

How are they with the rm's

Larry

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2003, 10:49 pm »
Right now I have wood nOrh 9.0's as rears, and marble nOrh mini column 9.0's (I have the only pair in the world) as side surrounds.

They are OK with the RM's, but they were better when I had an all nOrh setup.

As you can guess, I prefer to have matching speakers all the way around.

I suspect that soon I will order an LRC center, then over time I will get other VMPS speakers to replace my surrounds.

For the rears it will probably be LRC's as I have to mount them from the ceiling because of a built in bar in the back of my HT.

I will probably use 626R's for side surrounds.

FST's are a must have for me.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:32 am »
I feel the same as Marbles, that's why I went with 4 Odyssey Lorelei's on the corners. I feel your best surround occurs when all the speakers are the same. Unfortunately, this isn't realistic for the center channel using floorstanding loudspeakers so I compromised with the Nemisis center. Dipoles might have a place for movies but they are totally out of place for multichannel music. Besides Rob, the dipoles were made for the old Dolby Pro Logic format when the rear channels were mono and needed that extra dispersion. With the advent of DPL2, this isn't needed or even wanted as all 5 speakers are seeing a different full range signal that purposely adds to it's own spacial surround. That's my take on the subject anywho. :o  Regards, Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:36 am »
THX still specs dipoles, Satfrat, as do most "theater gurus" I've read.  However, direct radiators do have some advantages, and sound very good to me.  My bipoles are a pretty good compromise.  If all I did was watch movies, it's be a no-brainer for me, but since I'm not rich, my system has to pull double duty.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:44 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
THX still specs dipoles, Satfrat, as do most "theater gurus" I've read.  However, direct radiators do have some advantages, and sound very good to me.  My bipoles are a pretty good compromise.  If all I did was watch movies, it's be a no-brainer for me, but since I'm not rich, my system has to pull double duty.
               I didn't know that Rob. Thanks for informing me. :D But then again, isn't THX just for movies? For me, multichannel music is everything. I didn't have to spend so much money for just watching movies. And like you said, direct radiator speakers just sound better. Regards, Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:52 am »
"But then again, isn't THX just for movies?"

Yes.  That's why I posted it in the Home Theater and Video Circle! :lol:

Just ribbin' ya.  I do put a bit higher priority on MC music than HT, in great part d/t my Denon DVD-2200.

Someday, when I win the Powerball, I'll have nice separate dedicated HT & music systems.  For now I'll just have to come up with the best compromise I can!

Horsehead

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2003, 03:57 am »
Direct radiators for me as well.....

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:01 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
"But then again, isn't THX just for movies?"

Yes.  That's why I posted it in the Home Theater and Video Circle! :lol:

Just ribbin' ya.  I do put a bit higher priority on MC music than HT, in great part d/t my Denon DVD-2200.

Someday, when I win the Powerball, I'll have nice separate dedicated HT & music systems.  For now I'll just have to come up with the best compromise I can!
          I understand compromises Rob, life is full of them. Or at least I use to before running up my present credit debt. And all for the love of multichannel music. I use to have bookshelves mounted on the walls but with the addition of a digital receiver and DPL2, floorstanding rears just sounded better all tho it took some getting use to with the lack of the soundstage coming from the ceiling. Anyways, you were looking for opinions, I just thought I'd share mine. Happy listening Rob. :D  Regards, Robin

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:04 am »
Thus far, I've shied away from multi-channel music, unless it's a DVD and no, I'm not talking DVD-A.  So, I've got dipoles for side surrounds (Polk f/x 500i) and direct radiators for rear surrounds (RT25i).  I previously had direct radiators for side surrounds as well and like the dipoles better.

As has been covered THX still prefers dipoles for side surrounds, however some movies are mixed differently and are actually best suited for direct radiators for sides.  With all the different formats and possible mix scenarios you've kind of got to make a choice and live with it.

For me, everything has to be in one room and it has to do double duty.  I think I've done a pretty good job of integrating the two channel and home theater stuff.  I like the dipoles for side surrounds.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:09 am »
No problem, Satfrat.  I was curious what everyone prefers, and all though I primarily meant for HT, I agree that for music direct radiators are pretty much mandatory.

Hey, you may have the debt, but you also have the goodies! 8)

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:17 am »
Byteme, any thoughts on what direction you'll be taking next or are you staying with the Polks a while longer? Regards, Robin

byteme

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2003, 04:27 am »
Quote from: satfrat
Byteme, any thoughts on what direction you'll be taking next or are you staying with the Polks a while longer? Regards, Robin

With regard to the surround setup I don't see any of those changing.  My mains (hopefully) will be changing sometime after the first of the year, most likely to Odyssey Lorelies, center will probably be Nemesis.  If I go with something else for mains then I'll go with a similarly voiced center.

In order for the sides and rears to change I would really need to notice an unlivable difference in timbre from rear to front.

jacknife

« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2003, 01:43 am »
Direct for me also.  I started with Paradigm ADP's on the side, but the surround just seemed to get lost...could be my rooms problem but direct surrounds just sounds better for me and it works better when I pop in a SACD.

Dokter_doug

« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2003, 05:59 am »
I prefer bipolar speakers, and also use Paragigm ADP 370's. I tried a pair of PMC LB1's (to go with my FB1 fronts and LB1 centre speakers) but found the direct firing speaker too distracting.

I not only prefer the bipolars for moveis, but for multichannel SACD and DVD-Audio listening as well.

Doug

witchdoctor

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2004, 12:19 am »
I go with byteme and use both, bipoles as me rear surrounds and direct radiators as my side axis channels.