Amplifier transformer buzz

abomwell

Amplifier transformer buzz
« on: 10 Oct 2021, 12:36 pm »

The X5's are getting more broken in and are sounding wonderful. Silky smooth treble and bass is ample. Very lovely! I haven't done any measurements or EQ yet. Honestly I don't hear anything that would require it. But  there may be some touch-up needed once fully broken in. The Beyma AMT tweeter is terrific!

I'm going back and forth between two amps, the Carver Crimson 275 and the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10. Both are tube amps. The Carver is more tubey sounding but has some slight external buzzing coming from the transformers. The sound is not coming from the speakers. Has anyone encountered this type of problem and found a solution? I tried disconnecting the amp from the PI Audio DigiBuss with no success. The LTA amp, plugged into the same outlet is silent.

Many thanks!
Al

radarnyc

Re: Amplifier transformer buzz
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm »
I can only affirm that my LTA Z10 is dead silent with my X5s. You've likely tried the Carver on other speakers? Also, do you have the same noise if you turn the X5's amps off?

abomwell

« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:06 pm »
Thanks radarnyc. No I've not tried the Carver on other speakers. My only other speakers since purchasing it are active. And I did try plugging it in without the X5's on but without success. I just sent a note to Bob Carver's Support. From what I've read on line it could be caused by some DC in the power line. Fortunately it's not loud enough to be heard above any music played even very softly.

geerock

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:30 pm »
Al
I have the X5's with the Crimson 275, although I don't use it with them anymore.  I use the LTA REF 40.  But I only heard a very slight noise from the Carver until I changed out the stock signal tubes.  The JJ's or EH tubes that come with the Carver are fair to middlin anyway so I went to some NOS Telefunken.  The amp became so much better sounding and quiet.  More clarity, better depth and soundstage. I use that amp now with a pair of modified Klipsh cornwall 4's and that's another great sounding combo.

abomwell

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:38 pm »
Wow, that's great information, Geerock!  I assume the "slight nois" you are mentioning was not through the speakers but externally from the amp's transformers?

geerock

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2021, 01:53 pm »

Yes.  The noise was from the transformer but it wasnt the transformer that was bad.  Bob Carver knew how to design a transformer.  After all, he learned from David Hafler so many years ago.
BTW..... I've modded the Carver just about a month ago.  (Kudos to jbhiller for the design idea and photos.  I actually used Mundorf caps but I'll be damned if i can find the photos.).  I changed out 10 caps and 4 resistors and really made a nice upgrade.  Mostly in the depth.  But also it just has a more pleasant midrange and bass.  The Klipsh speakers with the crossover mods and damping the speakers, (courtesy of Don Sachs' idea and design), and the Carver amp are a real great combo.  I swore I would never own a box speaker again but those things changed my mind.

kayakerf

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2021, 02:26 pm »
Al
I have the X5's with the Crimson 275, although I don't use it with them anymore.  I use the LTA REF 40.  But I only heard a very slight noise from the Carver until I changed out the stock signal tubes.  The JJ's or EH tubes that come with the Carver are fair to middlin anyway so I went to some NOS Telefunken.  The amp became so much better sounding and quiet.  More clarity, better depth and soundstage. I use that amp now with a pair of modified Klipsh cornwall 4's and that's another great sounding combo.

The Carver Crimson 275 does have a very slight buzz (not through the speakers) that you I can hear up close or in a dead silent room from up to about 3-4' away.

Geerock - Which tubes did you replace with the NOS Telefunken? the 12AU7, 12AX7?

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:10 pm »
Kayakerf
I changed the 12ax7's to the Tele's.  There is no 12au7 but there is a 12at7 that is part of the DC tube restorer circuit.  Not sure that it changes the sound but I put in a NOS Sylvania that I had laying around.

kayakerf

« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2021, 03:14 pm »
Kayakerf
I changed the 12ax7's to the Tele's.  There is no 12au7 but there is a 12at7 that is part of the DC tube restorer circuit.  Not sure that it changes the sound but I put in a NOS Sylvania that I had laying around.
Ah yes, you're right the 12at7.

thanks.

abomwell

« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:18 pm »
The Carver Crimson 275 does have a very slight buzz (not through the speakers) that you I can hear up close or in a dead silent room from up to about 3-4' away.

I ordered a HumDinger. I'll let you know if it works. A friend says he had success with it totally eliminating buzzing in an amp he had.
https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/humdinger-dc-line-blocker

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2021, 04:46 pm »
... The Beyma AMT tweeter is terrific!

Many thanks!
Al

Glad you like the AMT Driver.  I know that was a concern for you.

Marcus

abomwell

« Reply #11 on: 10 Oct 2021, 05:44 pm »
Yes I was. I measured the FR of it this morning. Very smooth!

BadDNA

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2021, 12:32 pm »
I ordered a HumDinger. I'll let you know if it works. A friend says he had success with it totally eliminating buzzing in an amp he had.
https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/humdinger-dc-line-blocker

I can confirm this works. I had a buzzy toroidal transformer and this totally eliminated the buzzing.

abomwell

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2021, 12:52 pm »
Thanks, BadDNA. That's reassuring

abomwell

« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2021, 06:17 pm »
Kayakerf

Geerock, my 275 has one 12ax7 in the middle and two 12at7's on either side of it. You replaced the one 12ax7 is that right?

abomwell

« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2021, 06:22 pm »

The HumDinger made no difference but the buzz all but vanishes when the amp is fully warmed up.

geerock

« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2021, 07:31 pm »
Geerock, my 275 has one 12ax7 in the middle and two 12at7's on either side of it. You replaced the one 12ax7 is that right?
I changed them all as I have quite a collection of NOS tubes laying around, but when I cracked the Crimson open I believe that the single tube is part of the DC restorer circuit.  The other 2 matching tubes are in the signal chain.

abomwell

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2021, 08:13 pm »
Thanks, Geerock!