Aperiodic 8 Speakers With Vintage Tubes!

audiomaniac

« on: 21 Oct 2005, 06:13 pm »
Well, I finally went and did it! After mulling it over for 2 years, I made the leap into the single driver world. After attending this year's RMAF and spending the weekend listening to the new Omega lineup, I settled on the A8s to go with my McIntosh MC225. I first heard the Omega line at the 2004 RMAF, where I met Louis and Tom. This year, Vinnie was also there with his outstanding Red Wine Lotus gear. I was on the fence when Sunday rolled around and Louis was kind enough to let me bring over my amp at the end of the show to see how it would sound. Now, you can just imagine how tired these guys were after a weekend of swapping speakers back and forth, answering questions, and doing all of the usual dog and pony stuff. Which, by the way, they were always very happy to do! (I can't say that for all of the exhibitors.) While everybody was "getting the heck out of Dodge" we were hooking up more gear! Louis, Vinnie and Tom all rearranged their set up and got my amp hooked up, which was a challenge with those "classic" barrier strip connections. While the Hemps were great, I had pretty much settled on the A8s, which is what we hooked the Mac up to. Anyway, we listened to the Mac for probably about 45 minutes or so.  The A8s just grabbed a hold of the music and were amazing! I listen to mostly to jazz and blues, and the A8s are so FAST and articulate. They gave a full range presentation and loved to be pushed. We cranked up some Dire Straits, "Brothers In Arms" and Count Basie "Basie", both on vinyl, which was outstanding! I can hardly wait to get them. I will be using the A8s with vintage tube gear, the MC225 and an MX110 preamp\tuner, so it will be very interesting to hear the synergy of the system. Louis really is into what he does and it shows in his products!

miklorsmith

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2005, 06:28 pm »
What is old, is new again.

Welcome to AC.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2005, 09:36 pm »
Hi Audiomaniac,

Welcome to AC!  Yes, you were in our room all weekend and we got a real workout in from all the speaker swapping.  :mrgreen:   It was our pleasure and we really appreciated your interest in our gear.  Your MC225 sounded fantastic with the A8s!  I'm glad it was my pair of speakers that won you over  :lol:   Now they are at 6moons for review and I miss them very much.  Come home A8s....come home to me!!!!

Cheers!

audiomaniac

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2005, 12:35 am »
Hey Vinnie. Yes, you definately got a workout swapping those speakers around all weekend. Your patience and assistance was greatly appreciated!!! Your Lotus gear sounded outstanding and it was great to see all of the interest the room generated! Definately one of the best, it put to shame many of the $$$$$$$ level rooms! And I noticed that I wasn't the only repeat visitor. It will be great to see your personal speakers reviewed. I can imagine how much you miss them! I enjoyed meeting you and I hope you will all be back next year!  :D  :D

Louis O

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:48 pm »
Hi Audiomaniac,

A big welcome and it was great seeing you at both shows.

Many thanks for all your kind words and Vinnie, Tom and I had such a great time at the RMAF. It was a pleasure swapping the speakers in and out and no trouble at all. Both have similar and not so similar sound so it’s needed. It was a big treat for me to hear your MC225. This is the best out of that series. The MC275 and 240 are really good, but the 225 is the sweetest sounding. Yours looks like it just came out of the wrapper too. You nailed it with the A8s sound and the Mac had no problem pushing them.

We will be back for sure next year.

Hi miklorsmith,

You’re so right.

Hi Vinnie,

Looks like Tom is next since he’ll be picking them up after all said and done. I might as well get started on a new pair.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:17 pm »
Quote from: Louis O
Hi Vinnie,

Looks like Tom is next since he’ll be picking them up after all said and done. I might as well get started on a new pair....

Why is everyone pimpin' my Omega A8s?  :lol:

polishpowerlifter

A8s
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 11:29 pm »
Cuz theyre are sexy ''biatchs'' Vinnie,GOT it  :D FLAUNT IT!!! 8)

I just hope they find their way home...