MM Audio Product Available in North America

Kevin Haskins

MM Audio Product Available in North America
« on: 5 Dec 2009, 12:38 am »
I'm putting several of the Hypex based MM Audio products into inventory.    These are very nice, designed almost exclusively by Bruno Putzeys and manufactured in Europe.     I should have a couple in inventory in a few weeks time.   

The small preamp, which was designed by Bruno and includes remote control.   Very nice compact little package, with a very transparent signal path.    I've yet to hear one but based upon the design, it should be a killer little unit.   Price:  $1400 USD

Inputs:

• One Pair Balanced
  • Three Pair RCA

Outputs:

• One Pair Neutrik XLR

Features:

• Fully symmetric signal path
  • 12V trigger outputs (to turn on/off Hypex based monoblocks for earth friendly operation)
  • Remote Control
  • Adj. Gain for each input
  • Optical Rotary Encoder

I'm also putting the UcD400HG based monoblocks into stock that mate with the little preamp.

These feature the well-known Hypex UcD amplifiers with all Hypex designed power supply, softstart and transformers.   It is a very nice little package.   $2400/pr

Features:
  • 380W @ 4 Ohms, 180W @ 8 Ohms
  • 12V trigger to work with preamp
  • WBT Speaker Binding Post
  • Neutrik XLR Inputs (RCA input only via adaptor, these are native balanced both preamp, and amplifiers)
  • Very high quality Audio Grade Transformer with earth screen between primary/secondaries for low noise
  • 100% Bruno Putzeys Design

The UcD700HG version is available also.  $4100/pr

Features:

• 650W @ 4 Ohms, 350W @ 8 Ohms
  • 12V trigger to work with preamp
  • WBT Speaker Binding Post
  • Neutrik XLR Inputs (RCA input only via adaptor, these are native balanced both preamp, and amplifiers)
  • Very high quality Audio Grade Transformer with earth screen between primary/secondaries for low noise
  • 100% Bruno Putzeys Design

Kevin Haskins

Re: MM Audio Product Available in North America
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2009, 02:34 am »
Also coming soon...... Hypex based DSP system with active Exodus Loudspeakers.   

First out of the gate, Anarchy monitors with the Seas DXT tweeter active.    Remote control, digital or analog inputs (balanced or single-ended), interfaces with the PC for setting the room correction and true in-room response well into the 20s.    Since it is an active design, you have two UcD Class D amplifiers per loudspeaker and the capability of equalizing a connected subwoofer.     You could run this straight from a PC server with nothing else in the signal path with the digital input board via USB or SPDIF.   

http://www.diycable.com/main/pdf/AS2.100.pdf

I'm aiming for $2500-$3500/pr for the monitors (depending on your choice of finishes)

I am still working on the tower version, but one is planned that uses the sub-out channel, a UcD180 or UcD400 (depending upon listening/testing) and will utilize three Anarchy midwoofers, the Seas DXT tweeter, and have more headroom down low due to the massive swept volume of the Anarchy.   It should provide exceptional low-frequency performance for even large rooms along with full equalization tools for under the transition zone for exceptionally accurate low frequency performance that matches the exceptional on/off-axis behavior of the top-end.

I'm projecting $5000 a pair for the tower version.    This is a complete full-range solution, in custom cabinets (with your choice of veneer ) and superlative performance in-room.    No need for anything but a source.   Matching subwoofers available too in custom finishes.    These only ship via freight/pallet services.   No UPS GND on these babies.   

guest1632

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2009, 07:43 am »

First out of the gate, Anarchy monitors with the Seas DXT tweeter active.    Remote control, digital or analog inputs (balanced or single-ended), interfaces with the PC for setting the room correction and true in-room response well into the 20s.    Since it is an active design, you have two UcD Class D amplifiers per loudspeaker and the capability of equalizing a connected subwoofer.     You could run this straight from a PC server with nothing else in the signal path with the digital input board via USB or SPDIF.   

I'm aiming for $2500-$3500/pr for the monitors (depending on your choice of finishes)

I am still working on the tower version, but one is planned that uses the sub-out channel, a UcD180 or UcD400 (depending upon listening/testing) and will utilize three Anarchy midwoofers, the Seas DXT tweeter, and have more headroom down low due to the massive swept volume of the Anarchy.   It should provide exceptional low-frequency performance for even large rooms along with full equalization tools for under the transition zone for exceptionally accurate low frequency performance that matches the exceptional on/off-axis behavior of the top-end.

I'm projecting $5000 a pair for the tower version.    This is a complete full-range solution, in custom cabinets (with your choice of veneer ) and superlative performance in-room.    No need for anything but a source.   Matching subwoofers available too in custom finishes.    These only ship via freight/pallet services.   No UPS GND on these babies.   

Hi Kevin,

What happened to the passive speakers witout the builtin amps? I know they won't be as precise as the ones you are building as active speakers. But the prices will be cheaper, uh, less expensive.

Ray

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2009, 10:19 pm »

Hi Kevin,

What happened to the passive speakers witout the builtin amps? I know they won't be as precise as the ones you are building as active speakers. But the prices will be cheaper, uh, less expensive.

Ray

I'm sorry not Ray.  I'm having these built local by my local cabinet shop and they are one-off, high-end cabinets that are CNC cut for all the parts, and my neighbors woodshop is doing all the finish work.    I've given up on trying to stay in business on the bottom-end of the scale and my neighbor tends to charge more for his cabinet work than I do for the loudspeakers.      They are high-end, and high-priced.    :lol:

guest1632

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm »

Hi Kevin,

Ray

I'm sorry not Ray.  I'm having these built local by my local cabinet shop and they are one-off, high-end cabinets that are CNC cut for all the parts, and my neighbors woodshop is doing all the finish work.    I've given up on trying to stay in business on the bottom-end of the scale and my neighbor tends to charge more for his cabinet work than I do for the loudspeakers.      They are high-end, and high-priced.    :lol:

Hi Kevin,

While I do applaud your efforts to produce something in the highend arena, it would certainly be nice to see what can be accomplished in a passive design. I do understand the kits really didn't make you a whole lot of money, and generally, they as a rule, don't do so. Otherwise, we would still have the likes of companies like Heathkit, or Allied Electronics just to name a couple. So if you produced a speaker in the say 2K range, that would be also something forward to look to.

Just curious, why did you choose Aluminum as the driver?

This may not be a fair question, but how does this new woover compare to the Kepler one? You couldn't use the same crossover that you used on the Kepler? Probably not. I just wonder how this new woover sounds, compared to the Kepler?

Guess will have to just wait til it's been put in to a properly tuned  box and find out.

Ray

kfr01

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2009, 02:23 am »
Also coming soon...... Hypex based DSP system with active Exodus Loudspeakers...   

Kevin:

Can't wait to see what you have planned for the towers!  The active design sounds like the ultimate.

Cheers,

Karl

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2009, 02:27 am »

Hi Kevin,

Ray

Hi Kevin,

While I do applaud your efforts to produce something in the highend arena, it would certainly be nice to see what can be accomplished in a passive design. I do understand the kits really didn't make you a whole lot of money, and generally, they as a rule, don't do so. Otherwise, we would still have the likes of companies like Heathkit, or Allied Electronics just to name a couple. So if you produced a speaker in the say 2K range, that would be also something forward to look to.

Just curious, why did you choose Aluminum as the driver?

This may not be a fair question, but how does this new woover compare to the Kepler one? You couldn't use the same crossover that you used on the Kepler? Probably not. I just wonder how this new woover sounds, compared to the Kepler?

Guess will have to just wait til it's been put in to a properly tuned  box and find out.

Ray

I'm not a cabinet guy like Jim Salk but my neighbor in my industrial park does cabinet work of that quality.   He also charges for it which I don't really blame him.     The cabinets, without any drivers or crossovers is $2K otherwise he won't even consider messing with it. 

I'm going to publish some design work for the DIY crowd using the new Vifa NE tweeters but these are a decided step down from what I'm doing with the active designs.    I'm not really interested in building another low-cost speaker.   It isn't any fun to design something with all the compromises you make when you try to hit a price point.   Also, there is just no way I can make a living selling stuff at mass-market prices. 

The active stuff will use DSPs, Class D amplifiers and some pretty heavy-hitting design features that make an audible difference.   Much of high-end audio is about splitting hairs over differences.   I'm not interested in those types of products.   I want to design something that rocks, without regard to price so I'm following my passion.     Part of what is needed for that type of design is the ability to equalize the bottom-end of the loudspeaker.   You don't need "room-correction" for anything above about 200-300Hz but it is extremely useful for dealing with bass problems under that transition zone.    The only way to provide that, is with a couple bands of PEQ that can be easily set and DSPs are critical for that feature.   

In terms of the Anarchy, I choose the parts based upon what measured the best.    The aluminum version was smoother with a very easy to handle break-up in the response.   The paper cone version actually had worse break-up, that had many peaks and it would have been more complicated to handle in the network.     We design around engineering principles and I've never listened to any of the transducers I've been involved with producing before actually pulling the trigger on a design.   We have it pretty much figured out.   How it measures, both in terms of the Klippel, FR & Z tell you how it is going to sound.    What is a bigger deal with how something sounds is the actual final design, including the network, and overall response both on & off-axis.    Those are the characteristics in a loudspeaker design that determine the final subjective result.