Line 2m + power supply impressions

JoshK

« on: 5 Jan 2003, 04:29 am »
This won't be an official review, so I am not placing this in the critic's corner. Just thought I would add a post, being one of the first posts, about my impressions of my new Line 2m preamp that I recently received as a way to start up conversation in this forum.

I purchased this preamp pretty much for two reasons. One I needed a temporary preamp while I await getting the parts for and building my silver trannie based Bent pre. Second I wanted a second preamp around for playing with that was preferrably tube based and active, but didn't need a lot of features. I recently sold my Cary SLP2002 preamp because it was too overly complicated and expensive for what I need a preamp for, and it had a few problems with my system (long story).

I kinda expected not to be too impressed by the preamp because I have had a few great preamps in my system all of which were at a much higher price point. But I did like the simplicity of the design....keep it simple stupid. I guess I expected it to be outclassed in my system by other components. Heck, I have a pair of interconnects that cost twice what this preamp costs in my system.

BUT....I am happy to say that this component holds its own in my system and I would not say it is outclassed by the other gear. I really quite easily stands up against the Cary it replaced, and in my own opinion supercedes in a few critical-to-my-ears areas. Took a little bit to break in the new tubes, as usual, but after two days of nearly constant play it is making music beautifully. Tight deep bass, good imaging, complete lack of glare (Cary wasn't exempt from glare), really fairly neutral but still has the tube air about it.

I say for $355 I paid for this preamp, I am laughing all the way to the bank where the remainder of money I sold my previous preamp went.

Good job, and welcome Dr. Lloyd!

Josh

P.S.  I could see the tweaker having a lot of fun playing with this preamp...bybee filters, DACT stepped attenuators, etc, etc...

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2003, 04:22 pm »
Josh,

Thanks for the review.
Looks like the Ultra 4m (same preamp but adds a phono stage) will find a home in my system.

Not sure you can fit a Stepped Attenuator in that little chassis, but there's tube rolling, Bybees like you mentioned, and maybe even cryoing the whole thing.....

I also like how Dr. Lloyd achieved a 'vintage' look without going overboard.   Maybe we can post some hi-rez pictures here of the different colors he offers.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2003, 05:36 pm »
Brad,

Sounds like a plan.  I am planning to pop my DIY cherry on a pair of AKSA amp kits soon for my HT.  After that, I will be building a bent pre w/ remote and then I will look to seeing how well this pre can be tweaked or whether it stands to just be left alone.  I will reiterate that I am very pleased with the preamp's sonics.  Not a lot of features, but that is what I was looking for.  When you hear what can be done by such a little and relatively inexpensive preamp, you'll wonder where all your money went on the standard couple thousand dollar price preamps on the market.