Clari-T and the need for tubes

ZLS

« on: 9 May 2006, 06:11 pm »
I had a Dual Mono Clari-T that I enjoyed greatly.  The PRAT factor was the best of any Amp that I owned, but I did miss the body that tubes can provide.  Vinnie modified my Amp by adding the Paper In Oil Caps while Louis of Omega made a new case for me.  (Maple with a black acrylic bottom.)  I understood why people would post how great the Clari-T would sound with a tube Preamp, but IMHO that is no longer necessary.  The Paper In Oil Caps make a noticable difference that is all for the better.  The sound is richer; while almost being lush.  
    Whenever I listened to my Clari-T I always found myself tapping my foot.  I still do while I admire the sheer beauty of the sound.  

ZLS

ndpjr

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2006, 03:01 am »
ZLS,

I have a dual mono Clari-T also and last August I had Vinnie install Jensen copper PIO caps. They gave it a much more full, warm (not lush) and smooth sound that maintained it's detail, speed and was easy to listen to. For me, it also eliminated the need for a preamp.
   I'm glad to hear that you had the same results. I'm looking forward to the Signature-30 with more power and the PIO caps. It should be a really nice sounding amp.
   Later this year I hope to get the Olive Musica with Vinnie's mods and have an all battery system.

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2006, 04:20 am »
Thank you both for sharing the good news.  I sure will ask Vinnie to give my monoblocks the same PIO treatment.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2006, 12:26 pm »
Quote from: ZLS
I understood why people would post how great the Clari-T would sound with a tube Preamp, but IMHO that is no longer necessary. The Paper In Oil Caps make a noticable difference that is all for the better. The sound is richer; while almost being lush.
Whenever I listened to my Clari-T I always found myself tapping my foot. I still do while I admire the sheer beauty of the sound.

Hi ZLS,

Thanks for posting early impressions of your custom dual-mono Clari-T with Paper-in-Oil caps.  I agree 100%... these caps give such a rich sound and are *almost* lush, but the PRAT is still there.  :singing:   This is what I'm using in the Signature 30 and it seemed to be a big hit over at VTV.  It was thrown into the waters filled with tube-loving sharks and survived...not even a scratch!  :mrgreen:  

Quote from: ndpjr
They gave it a much more full, warm (not lush) and smooth sound that maintained it's detail, speed and was easy to listen to. For me, it also eliminated the need for a preamp.

Hi ndpjr,

You were the first to turn me onto the paper-in-oils with the Clari-T....THANK YOU!  You are going to LOVE the Signature 30.  It is the best sounding amp I've made to date and does all that you described above, but with more power!

Quote from: Paul_Bui
I sure will ask Vinnie to give my monoblocks the same PIO treatment.

Hi Paul (and everyone else interested in the PIO + Clari-T),

The big challenge with the PIO caps is their size....they are VERY BIG.  
They cannot fit in any of the Clari-T enclosures that use the 4" x 6" x 2.5" enclosure.  I also couldn't fit them in ZLS's dual-mono Clari-T (6" x 8" x 3") enclosure because it had the larger batteries.  He decided to contact Louis of Omega about making a custom maple box to match his Omega speakers.  BTW, that box is gorgeous!  

I received a PM from another customer who has a dual-mono Clari-T Integrated amp (DACT input select and volume stepped attenuator) with the larger enclosure, but again, it is too packed in there to fit the very large PIO caps.   :cry:

One of the reasons for the larger size of the Signature 30 (12" x 8" x 3") is to comfortably fit the large PIO caps and two larger batteries.  It turns out that I have been thinking about offering a Signature 6.  It would be the same as the Signature 30, but it will be dual-mono and will use the 6-watt modded Clari-T boards.  The big batteries would be the same (so the play time between charges will be over 24 hours), the PIO caps will be the same, the DACT CT2 stepped attenuator (with remote control option), volume controlled RCA outputs, etc.  This would come out after the Signature 30, and for those who already have a Clari-T dual-mono or monoblocks, I am willing to work with you (on an individual basis) on the pricing if you send me your Clari-T so I can transfer the boards and possibly other parts into the Signature 6.  

More discussion about the Signature 6 will follow.  Righ now, I need to keep focused on starting production of the Signature 30s at the end of this month.  Parts are coming in each day and I'm getting ready  :hyper:

Thanks for all the nice discussion here!

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2006, 02:18 pm »
Thanks Vinnie for taking care of your customers.  My trusty monoblocks will be on their way to you soon.