Elac Debut Reference 62

trianglezerius

Elac Debut Reference 62
« on: 1 Mar 2020, 02:05 pm »
Anyone own or hear the DBR 62s by Elac? I'm curious because you don't see any used.

Thx!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Elac Debut Reference 62
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:05 pm »
Seems like a niche product.  But recent test reports of upper ELAC models Adante AS-61 and floor-standing Navis ARF-51 indicate that they're duds, so have lost respect for Andrew Jones. 

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:21 pm »
It's a brand new product so I wouldn't expect to see any on the used market for awhile.

I haven't heard them yet but there are several reviews on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=elac+debut+reference

JLM, what do you mean it's a niche product? Not to be oppositional, but it kind of seems the opposite to me. Where the original Debut and Debut 2.0 were great budget all-arounders, these seem to be that as well but with the performance (and pricetag) taken up a notch or 2.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:24 pm »
Seems like a niche product.  But recent test reports of upper ELAC models Adante AS-61 and floor-standing Navis ARF-51 indicate that they're duds, so have lost respect for Andrew Jones.

Do you have any links?  A Google search didn’t come up with much, and what was there was very positive (but no measurements).

Thanks. :)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2020, 04:39 pm »
I'm curious because you don't see any used.

I haven't heard them myself but show reports were very favorable. I saw a used pair on Canuck Audio Mart last week.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2020, 05:36 pm »
At $600pr way out of C&C, so we'll move this to Enclosures.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2020, 11:38 am »
Do you have any links?  A Google search didn’t come up with much, and what was there was very positive (but no measurements).

Thanks. :)

https://www.hifinews.com/content/elac-navis-arf-51-active-loudspeaker-lab-report

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/elac-adante-as-61-speaker-review.11507/

Note that Amir at ASR uses a very competent $100,000 Klippel measurement system.  This sample was sent from a friend and fellow AC member.

trianglezerius

« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2020, 10:19 pm »
Has anyone heard them or compared them to anything?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2020, 10:28 pm »
I heard them at RMAF last September and Andrew Jones was touting them along with the Carina line.  The Reference 6.2's sounded great, better than the standard 6.2's I think because I heard them on different systems.  More detail, clarity and better bass.  My son and I were impressed with them.  The Carina's sounded even better.

By the way, the Adante's are on sale because a newer version is replacing them.  Andrew Jones did not deny it when I asked him at RMAF.

iluzun

« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2020, 05:01 am »
I’ve got the larger 3way floorstanders and I listen to ‘em every day for a couple months.  They’re the cheapest component in my system & a great value.
Both these and the bookshelf’s are nicely balanced, neutral but not boring speakers.  They offer plenty of detail, r easy to drive, and scale well to equipment upgrades, changes.  They look great too and have a mature sound, playing all sorts of different music well.  I suspect they would be easy to match w/subs and that will likely be my next step.  I’ve Kef LS50 & ProAc 1SC, the Kef have a higher ceiling, but will bleed the coin in upstream $$$, the 1SC a more colorful presentation with the right tube amps.  The Elacs r a bit bigger than both and sound very nice with ss or tubes.  I matched the bookshelf’s up with a PS Audio Sprout in my kids room, so haven’t played with them of late. The three ways r in my upstairs rig and aren’t going anywhere as I like their presentation very much.  They can go low, but don’t overload the large room they r n.  They have a very even off angle response and a better midrange than any of the two ways.  They r being fed by a VPI Traveler, Dynavector 20x2L, EAT Petite phono, Benchmark Dac3, Yamaha A-S2000, Yamaha CDS-2000, Mystere PA40, Audio Envy interconnects, a couple of Blue Circle PVC conditioners, Audio Magic PCs...

trianglezerius

Elac Debut Reference 62
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2020, 07:33 pm »
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/elac-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

Anyone see this? It's a lengthy review for a $599.

I just got a pair and they are breaking in now.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2020, 11:41 pm »
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/elac-debut-reference-dbr-62-speaker-review.12232/

Anyone see this? It's a lengthy review for a $599.

I just got a pair and they are breaking in now.

I heard these at RMAF and they sounded fabulous for the price.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Mar 2020, 11:00 pm »
At RMAF, they were driven by an ELAC integrated and they sounded nothing like JLM described.  But they only had 8 hours on them when JLM heard them.  They had nice punchy bass and had very good detail.  Everyone in the room thought they sounded great and Andrew Jones had a huge smile on his face.

trianglezerius

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:43 pm »
I want to keep this thread moving in a positive direction about the Elacs.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:54 pm »
I want to keep this thread moving in a positive direction about the Elacs.

Yes, please, gentleman, no further personal attacks or the thread will be binned.  And while not a personal attack per se, disparaging someone's system is bad form.  Anything other than a comment on Elac speakers will be dealt with quickly with a certain degree of prejudice.

trianglezerius

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2020, 03:24 pm »
Anybody have theses speakers yet and if so whats your impressions?

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 31 Mar 2020, 02:16 am »
Amir's an expert on speakers now. Who knew. The review was downright subjective, even so far as to tell Andrew Jones what he should and shouldn't design. Attaboy.

Looks like a solid speaker. I'd have to agree that with speakers like these they need time to break in but at the end of the day different strokes for different folks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 31 Mar 2020, 08:41 am »
It all depends on the premises of each listener, and JLM already had high quality speakers including Fostex Alnico, but with a previous experience of lower quality one can find the performance of this Elac speaker good.

richidoo

« Reply #18 on: 3 Apr 2020, 01:24 pm »

I thought it looked like a 3" driver for the highs, but it goes to 35k?  :scratch: 
On closer look, it's a waveguide surrounding a 1" softdome tweeter.  :thumb:

Product Specifications
Enclosure Type: 2-Way Bass Reflex
Frequency Response: 44Hz – 35000Hz
Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Sensitivity: 86db @ 2.83v/1m
Crossover Frequency: 2200Hz
Max Power Input: 120 Watts
Tweeter: 1″ Cloth Dome
Woofer: 6.5 Inch Aramid Fiber
Cabinet: CARB2 Rated MDF
Port: Dual Flared
Binding Posts: 5-Way Metal
Cabinet Finishes: White Baffle, Oak Cabinet or Black Baffle, Walnut Cabinet
Accessories Included: Magnetic fabric grill
Weight: 18.07 lbs Each
Dimensions (WxHxD): 8.18” x  14.13” x 10.82″

Shakeydeal

« Reply #19 on: 3 Apr 2020, 01:46 pm »
Looks like a decent speaker, but that 86 db sensitivity makes it a non starter for me.

Shakey