How to Do It Yourself in Computer Audio

toddbagwell

How to Do It Yourself in Computer Audio
« on: 28 Feb 2011, 02:22 pm »
Here is a general how to for building a computer. (I have no conflicts here, other than being a subscriber, and finding the Magazine's advice helpful in becoming more tech-savvy)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_ultimate_gaming_pc_step_step?page=0,0

Now obviously, this is not a computer you'd want to put in a quiet place next to your stereo. The general principles of computer assembly don't change if you're building a tiny and totally silent audio server/player or the biggest, fastest most RAM-filled monster for ripping, tagging and converting those files to different formats. For solid advice on what to do to limit noise or what actual products are quiet, these two websites are very informative:

www.silentpcreview.com

www.endpcnoise.com

toddbagwell

Re: How to Do It Yourself in Computer Audio
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2011, 07:43 pm »
Saw this posted over on Audio Asylum, I think these test tracks would be helpful in setting up any stereo system, but since we're the computer crew, what could be easier than downloading the files, converting to your file format of choice and making a testing playlist to try them out.

http://www.nuforce.com/hp/media/Nuforce%20Demo1/index.php

We might get into a fight with the hi-rez circle though, as it looks like the musical tracks are 24/96 WAV  :nono:

Todd

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2011, 10:34 pm »
Nice link
Thanks

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2011, 10:46 am »
Not that I want to direct people away from here, but I think the AVS HTPC forum is a great place to obtain current information on how to build and configure a state-of-the-art system.  The current crop of Intel and AMD processors support integrated HD graphics and lossless 7 channel audio via HDMI with surprisingly low power consumption (30-40 W).

AgentOrange

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2014, 11:03 pm »
repost, maybe I put it before in the wrong place.

I like computer audio.

"I can't tell anyone the best way to assemble a computer for music. We all have different needs, budgets and levels of absurdity. Like most here on YC, I like to do things cheap and have them work like expensive. The best "out of the box" computer music player might be a cheap laptop with a few changes to the software. Here is a great site for cheap computer junk. Check it for a couple weeks and you will be amazed. It keeps up with sales from the major retailers. A low end laptop can be the start of better computer audio."

That is from a thread of mine on yardcraphome.com, feel free to join, read and enter the discussion.

I built my own very tiny computer tune server and it is quite good.
It really gets down to how anal (how much fun) you want to have.  That is true of all HiFi.
I slide slightly towards asshole and count on friends to pull me back.