Computerless streaming: Opinions?

skunark

Re: Computerless streaming: Opinions?
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2019, 03:45 am »
I would check out both Naim and Linn and if you can avoid xlr then a slim-line marantz receiver.

You can consider for about $150:
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/hifiberry-dac-xlr-bundle/
Reasonable sized SDXC card
Install volumio.org image in the sdxc card through an easy application and plug in ethernet for first boot to configure.

Install the Linn Kazoo app to control the volumio and if you enable software volume control you effectively have a built in Preamp.   It will have airplay, bluetooth, etc etc.

You can even get a second one with a headphone instead of XLRs.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2019, 10:14 am »
How about the Brennan B2?
https://www.thebrennan.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1ZXjl6yD4wIVknQBCh2cEQesEAEYASAAEgJwT_D_BwE

I'm a sucker for small, all-in-one boxes like that.   :thumb: 

Seems very well designed for a desktop.  Not so sure for a 2.3 in-room audio system like mine.

JLM

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2019, 10:22 am »
I would check out both Naim and Linn and if you can avoid xlr then a slim-line marantz receiver.

You can consider for about $150:
https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/bundles/hifiberry-dac-xlr-bundle/
Reasonable sized SDXC card
Install volumio.org image in the sdxc card through an easy application and plug in ethernet for first boot to configure.

Install the Linn Kazoo app to control the volumio and if you enable software volume control you effectively have a built in Preamp.   It will have airplay, bluetooth, etc etc.

Sounds highly technical, something that would continue to make me dependent on others for help.  And no local Naim or Linn dealers.

You can even get a second one with a headphone instead of XLRs.

skunark

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2019, 05:15 pm »
It will have the same exact interface as orchard audio but save you $300.   You can buy an sdxc card with volumio installed but the application to image the sdxc card is designed for beginners.   The hardest part in my opinion is assembling the case.   Also if you end up not liking it you can donate it your local makers club or high school. 

The Orchard streamer seems like a great value though with the solid looking case and its just preconfigured. 

gab

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2019, 08:28 pm »
I am using a refurbished iPhone 6 SE (costs ~$100 from a Walmart seller) connected to the USB port on my DAC via the Apple Camera Lightning Port adapter cable (~$40 from Apple store). This adapter allows the iPhone to be charged simultaneously as well or whenever the battery runs out of charge.

I dedicate the iPhone just to stream Tidal to my DAC. Kind of a mini streamer with display. I can make Tidal playlists or favorite tracks on my desktop computer and then just select them on the iPhone screen when I want to change between tracks and playlists. Typing into the little 6SE screen is a bit of a pain, so I try to minimize that whenever possible.

Pretty inexpensive way to stream Tidal IMO if you already have a DAC that you like. It sounds excellent (especially the Tidal Masters) to my ears. The DAC is a Topping DX7s.

gab

avta

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2019, 12:20 am »
I use an Apple Airport Express 2nd generation that I bought on EBay for $45. Won’t play hires files but for casual listening it’s fine. I connect it to my amp via an optical cable. I use Tidal and TuneIn to stream using an iPhone for control.

mitch stl

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2019, 02:49 am »
I'm rather late to this thread, but another computerless option for streaming would be a Squeezebox Touch with a mysqueezebox.com account. You can set up your Tidal/Deezer/etc. account there and stream with no need for a local PC running LMS (though that would be needed if you want to access music on your local drives or use an app not supported by mysqueezebox.com).

Squeezebox Touches (and their other players) are discontinued but still available used at reasonable prices.

JLM

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2019, 11:40 am »
Not interested in "technical" or DIY solutions or necessarily in saving the maximum money.  And want something better than casual listening (Apple Express).

Squeezebox - had a horrible experience with it, 2 weeks of bliss followed by 2 weeks of hell (pure distortion that I couldn't fix no matter what I tried).  Very unstable.  That is one of the things I'm trying to avoid like the plague.  An Apple Express would be far superior to that.

Looking for a family friendly turnkey solution that easy to set up and comes with local support.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2019, 01:29 pm »
I'm still using a Logitech Transporter which sounds great and I've never had a single issue with it.  The downside is that it's no longer sold or supported, and there is no internal storage (like a Blue Sound Vault, for example). 

The reasons I haven't changed to something else are:  a) It sounds fabulous and b) unlike any other streamer I know of; its optical out is volume controlled and it feeds directly into my DSP crossover; resulting in just a single D/A conversion out of the crossover to the amps.   

I would love to have a streamer that can do all the things the Transporter can, plus has internal storage-- but so far I haven't seen one.     

bacobits1

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2019, 02:22 pm »
Just get one of the Bluesound Nodes 2i or Vault. No fuss, very easy Roon compliant, run from tablet or phone, no friggin USB! It sounds very good with Qobuz, Tidal Spotify etc. and you are going into a PS Audio Jr. DAC anyway.Must use good cable!  Never a problem on my eerO network, flawless.
Buy from Audio Advisor no tax, free shipping and return if you don't like it.
My primary concern here was getting rid of the computer, accomplished.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:03 pm »
Just get one of the Bluesound Nodes 2i or Vault. No fuss, very easy Roon compliant, run from tablet or phone, no friggin USB! It sounds very good with Qobuz, Tidal Spotify etc. and you are going into a PS Audio Jr. DAC anyway.Must use good cable!  Never a problem on my eerO network, flawless.
Buy from Audio Advisor no tax, free shipping and return if you don't like it.
My primary concern here was getting rid of the computer, accomplished.

Question: Is the digital out volume-controlled or just a pass thru?

gab

bacobits1

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2019, 07:15 pm »
Yea ok.......I could care less what that site says, lots of BS and controversy about that guy,
written about elsewhere. He's measuring the internal DAC, I'm not using it that way.
To each his own, listen............carry on. I never recommend anything anyway.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2019, 08:45 pm by bacobits1 »

A_shah

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jul 2019, 11:39 pm »
I am late to this form for my main system I wanted to have a network/internet Streamer , instead of relying Nvida  Shield Streaming device , so I got a Bluesound node 2i from amazon Prime I feed  the coax into my PS AudioDirectstream DAC Sr. after 30 days I sent it back and got myself a Cambridge CXN V2 Streamer & DAC for $ 899. ( Amazon 30 day trial period) this is a very good streamer and does have a very decent dual DAC chips , I have A/B it between the the PS Directstream connected via Coax (wireworld) and the RCA to Don Sachs pre-amp the SQ is very good maybe a little on the bright side . after sending this back I am wondering if I should get an Innous Zen MK 3 or a Wyred4sound streamer which I listened to at the CAS Audio show , except  I just stream Tidal & Quboz , and do not rip CD's  and since I do have a very good DAC in both by PS audio DS and OPPO 205  do I really need to get one of those network streamers specially when the technology is changing so quickly ? :scratch:
Asghar

JackD

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jul 2019, 11:59 pm »
Asghar

Why don't you look on the PS forum and pick up a used Bridge II?  Will do what you want with the two streaming services and one less IC and PC.  While the mControl software may not be the greatest (Bluesound isn't either) it will do the job you want to do.

A_shah

« Reply #35 on: 30 Jul 2019, 02:12 am »
Asghar

Why don't you look on the PS forum and pick up a used Bridge II?  Will do what you want with the two streaming services and one less IC and PC.  While the mControl software may not be the greatest (Bluesound isn't either) it will do the job you want to do.

Jack ,
I know  digital audio is  bits Zero's  & "1"  I could probably pick a bridge 11 , used or new but how does it sound ? having a network  card in my DS- would I not get better results with a separate device and less noise, less vibration and more flexibility  since that device would not be sharing the same cabinet/Circuit board  ; using the same power supply ? I have noticed with the network streamers,  that I listened to so far , they all seem to sound different ? what would be best for future flexibility?    :popcorn:

Asghar

JackD

« Reply #36 on: 30 Jul 2019, 03:40 am »
Asghar

I've had a Node 2 in for demo as well as owned an Aries Mini, Aries Femto, Oppo Sonica, Lumin D1 w/SBooster LPS and the Bridge II was better in my system than all of them.  It was slightly bettered in some instances by the Teac NT-505 which requires you to use it's internal DAC and the Aries G1, both of which are in the $2500 range.  That may also be true of the Aurrender and Innuous models in that price range as well as the Lumin U1 Mini but I haven't heard any of them.  In my testing three years ago the Aries Mini handily defeated the Node 2 so it went back to AA and I kept the Mini so the Node to my ears is not in the same league as the Bridge II separate case aside.  If you want the best sound and future flexibility, if there is such a thing, then it is going to cost.  The Bridge II will be around for a least another year and then will be replaced at some point in the future by a network card of PSA's own design. The Bridge II is it's own circuit board and only shares the DS's power supply.  It is the same board used by Ayre, Krell and others. If you don't want to try a Bridge II I would opt for the Aries G1 or the Lumin U1 Mini if you don't want or need the ripping feature of the Innuous. They both have a full compliment of outputs. 

A_shah

« Reply #37 on: 30 Jul 2019, 07:35 pm »
Asghar

I've had a Node 2 in for demo as well as owned an Aries Mini, Aries Femto, Oppo Sonica, Lumin D1 w/SBooster LPS and the Bridge II was better in my system than all of them.  It was slightly bettered in some instances by the Teac NT-505 which requires you to use it's internal DAC and the Aries G1, both of which are in the $2500 range.  That may also be true of the Aurrender and Innuous models in that price range as well as the Lumin U1 Mini but I haven't heard any of them.  In my testing three years ago the Aries Mini handily defeated the Node 2 so it went back to AA and I kept the Mini so the Node to my ears is not in the same league as the Bridge II separate case aside.  If you want the best sound and future flexibility, if there is such a thing, then it is going to cost.  The Bridge II will be around for a least another year and then will be replaced at some point in the future by a network card of PSA's own design. The Bridge II is it's own circuit board and only shares the DS's power supply.  It is the same board used by Ayre, Krell and others. If you don't want to try a Bridge II I would opt for the Aries G1 or the Lumin U1 Mini if you don't want or need the ripping feature of the Innuous. They both have a full compliment of outputs.

Thanks ! I am just going to get the Bridge 11 & test for a 30 day trial period

Asghar

JackD

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jul 2019, 08:52 pm »
There are two for sale on the PS website for $400.

A_shah

« Reply #39 on: 30 Jul 2019, 11:37 pm »
There are two for sale on the PS website for $400.

Thanks
Sent him a PM lets see was sold today to some one else !
Asghar
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2019, 08:15 am by A_shah »