JRemote on HAL?

ACHiPo

JRemote on HAL?
« on: 18 Jan 2016, 05:46 am »
I've purchased JRiver and JRemote.  The JRiver app is running pretty well using my desktop to access the HAL MS-3 remotely.  I can't, however, get my iPhone or iPad to connect to HAL via JRemote.  Is anyone using this successfully, and if so, can you steer me to instructions?

Thanks,
AC

Big Red Machine

Re: JRemote on HAL?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2016, 11:46 am »
To reassure you, it does work fine. I use it constantly with IPad2. However, I am totally down right now while moving so maybe Rich can give you a quick hook up direction.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2016, 01:21 pm »
Yes it works fine.  You have to set jRemote up to recognize the IP address of the HAL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mqmthzcPM

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2016, 01:24 pm »
There's also help if you go the JRiver forum - e.g.  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90120.0

I also have an Android tablet besides an Ipad mini and I have both JRemote and Gizmo on that.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2016, 02:36 pm »
AC,
Looks like Phil has the solution for the MS-3 and JRiver to recognize the remote.

With Foobar2000 it is the same.  You have to point the HTTP page to the IPv4 address of the MS-3 to start the remote webpage control.

Easy way to find it is use the MS-DOS command prompt and type ipconfig<enter>.  It gives the networking info for the machine.

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:31 pm »
Rich, Phil,
Thanks.  Using the wizard I see HAL's IP address, but JRemote times out after 2 attempts.  I found the IPv4 address, but it doesn't seem to be needed following the wizard.

I came across something on modifying my router to allow access on port 52199?  Maybe the problem is that I use the Comcast wireless router with a NetGear booster/router into which my HAL is plugged?

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:43 pm »
Rich, Phil,
Thanks.  Using the wizard I see HAL's IP address, but JRemote times out after 2 attempts.  I found the IPv4 address, but it doesn't seem to be needed following the wizard.

I came across something on modifying my router to allow access on port 52199?  Maybe the problem is that I use the Comcast wireless router with a NetGear booster/router into which my HAL is plugged?

Don't know.  I had crazy wiring done all over my house so each of my units (HAL MS-3 in the main and HAL MS-2 in a back-up system) is plugged directly into a network switch (so I can plug in multiple devices - e.g. Oppo Blu-Ray) coming off a hard wired outlet right behind it.  I'll see if I have take a screen shot of my iPad set-up in a bit and post it.  In fact, I just simplified my wiring a drop as my main connection point where the router is is in the office.  I had an 8 port network switch going into a 4 port one since I didn't have enough ethernet connections (have 5 devices alone in the office - printer, receiver, DVR for 8 cameras on the outside, PC and Ooma telephone box) and broke down and bought a 16 port Netgear switch).  I'll eventually be adding another one to the office when I get NAS so I was more or less forced to.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:46 pm »
Are all the devices including the MS-3 setup on the same homegroup for the network sharing?

Not sure how JRiver does it, but it is an issue for Foobar2000 and it's remote webpage.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:50 pm »
The setting are as follows:

Server Name = Halmusic
Address = IPv4
Port = 52199

And that's it.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jan 2016, 07:57 pm »
On my other HAL unit, I either use my Android Tablet or the iPhone 6.  On the iPhone 6 the port is the same and the only differences are the IPv4 address and the Server name, which is 'HALmusic2 (since of course I have another server).'

ACHiPo

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:41 pm »
All devices are connected via the expansion router, the HAL is plugged in, and the iPad and iPhone are connected wirelessly.  I suspect the issue is with the port 52199.  I'm just not sure how I go about unlocking the Comcast router.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2016, 10:59 pm »
You should contact Comcast.

One MS-1 owner had to have their WiFi provider add the IPv4 address as a fixed one to their router to get the PC laptop remote to work.  Sounds like they will need to add the port for the remote on the idevices. 

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2016, 12:54 am »
That's one of the reasons before I moved into the new place a couple of years back that I researched what routers and modems the cable provided accepted and went out and purchased them.  The builder temporarily used my house while I was going back and forth during the middle of 2013 and the router/modem the cable company gave them was a POS.  When they moved into a new model around Labor Day of 2013 and I was down, I had to run over there (I brought him his office chair he left in the house anyway) as the builder's sales person could not get on the internet (and the provider's customer service sucks), and they needed that for the phone too.  I temporarily hard wired it (moved him from the kitchen to the office room to get near where the cable came into the house) so he could do things while they sorted it out. 

I had Comcast in my old house in VA and had a standard modem I got a rebate on when I signed on.  It was not a wireless router (and was probably 10 years old when I first used it with an HAL unit) so I bought an Airport Express when I got my HAL MS-3.  When Rich came over my place with a couple of his earlier MS-1s (to demo the main and basement systems), it was easier that way.  I had hard wired ethernet cable to behind the basement system when I finished the basement and the unit in the main system upstairs was plugged into the Airport Express.

ACHiPo

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2016, 03:41 am »
Wow I just keep going deeper into the rabbit hole!  I'll think about picking up my own router.  At this point I can access HAL with an eval copy of TeamViewer--it's just kinda clunky and shuts down after an hour or so.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jan 2016, 03:10 pm »
Wow I just keep going deeper into the rabbit hole!  I'll think about picking up my own router.  At this point I can access HAL with an eval copy of TeamViewer--it's just kinda clunky and shuts down after an hour or so.

Well, I had 10+ years of experience with my old one and Comcast's service and a standard modem and router.  While their (Comcast) service wasn't great, it puts Bright House Networks to shame (I don't even want to get started on that).  A couple of years back, I ended up with a Asus RT-66U Router (which by the way when I had a service outage one time Bright House after wasting about an hour of my time told me was broken and was the culprit) and a Motorola/Arris Surfboard modem (you see refurbs on woot.com from time to time and they are usually cheaper than this refurb price -http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Arris-SURFBoard-Cable-White/44684748 ).  I picked up the modem at a wholesale club just under 2.5 years back for $80 and the router was more (believe I got it on Amazon).  You have to go to Comcast's page to get a list of acceptable hardware (I did that with my current provided before I bought anything).

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2016, 04:04 pm »
Another idea is to setup a second network with another WiFi router if possible and just feed it with the Ethernet output from the existing cable modem.

Then Comcast is not involved and you can control it as needed.  Probably costs about the same as getting a new cable modem.

ACHiPo

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jan 2016, 08:43 pm »
Another idea is to setup a second network with another WiFi router if possible and just feed it with the Ethernet output from the existing cable modem.

Then Comcast is not involved and you can control it as needed.  Probably costs about the same as getting a new cable modem.
Rich,
That's what I thought I already had.  I work in technology, but find this whole network stuff baffling.
AC