Confessions of a Middle Aged Latecomer

Trismos

Re: Confessions of a Middle Aged Latecomer
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:19 am »
No, it's not just you.

More and more I'm noticing this, too. Browsing just isn't as easy (or satisfying, or something). With CDs you pick up a jewel box or digipack, read the liner notes, have a better idea of what that album is. You can't get that from browsing through thousands of album covers. Computer software is great for many ways of browsing and putting together random, semi-random, or intelligent playlists, but it really sucks for the situation where you ask yourself "What do I feel like listening to right now?"

I can relate to everything in the OPs first post. As a reply to that quoted above though, in my man room I have both a server fed audio system with an old Pioneer TT for my small vinyl collection .... and a book case full of hard cover books. I love to read. And I love to collect books. Hard cover books. And I can read for hours in my comfy chair. But at night when I'm laying in bed it's much easier to get into the story if you're reading it on an 11 ounce I-Pad than a seven pound edition. When I'm really getting into the music, I shut the lights off anyways. i don't need an album cover on a cd case or otherwise to help me make my decision. The music is still there whether it's in hardcover or digital. 

JEaton

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:27 am »
When I'm really getting into the music, I shut the lights off anyways. i don't need an album cover on a cd case or otherwise to help me make my decision. The music is still there whether it's in hardcover or digital.

The observation, and my reply, had nothing to do with what you're looking at while the music is playing. It's a browsing issue.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jan 2013, 01:32 pm »
No, it's not just you.

More and more I'm noticing this, too. Browsing just isn't as easy (or satisfying, or something). With CDs you pick up a jewel box or digipack, read the liner notes, have a better idea of what that album is. You can't get that from browsing through thousands of album covers. Computer software is great for many ways of browsing and putting together random, semi-random, or intelligent playlists, but it really sucks for the situation where you ask yourself "What do I feel like listening to right now?"
+1

mcgsxr

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jan 2013, 02:39 pm »
While I understand that changing from walking to the collection of cd's and browsing may initially feel different, after 8 years of exclusively using PC based front ends (well, Mac's too, but you know what I mean!), I find it is second nature.

I like the genre features of most s/w packages - surf a genre, and then pick an album, or song.

I also find that I increasingly build playlists, and then randomize those to get music going.

Easy enough to grab the iPad and flip into a new album, or more often than not, I am already using the iPad, so it is easy enough to just swap to the controls on that and pick tunes, then go back to surfing.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #44 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:13 pm »
Enjoy it while you can.  In a year you will be scrolling through a thousand albums and won't be able to find a thing to ware (hear).   :icon_lol:

I swear, sometimes I scroll through and get to the z's and have to start over again.  I can go to the CD rack or start flipping through LP's and pick a few no problem.  Maybe it's just me.   :scratch:

It's not just you  :?

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #45 on: 30 Jan 2013, 02:27 pm »
It's not just you 
+1

charmerci

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jan 2013, 03:47 pm »
I just keep my digital files on shuffle so it's like commercial-free radio. (Occasionally, I'll say - what is that song?) Then if I hear a song that I really like, sometimes I want to hear the album. I hit a few buttons and listen to it. Nice.