ClassD Audio vs. Hypex Ncore

john dozier

ClassD Audio vs. Hypex Ncore
« on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:01 am »
Would those who have heard both please comment on the differences, espcially on symphonic music. I currently have a ClassD Spiral Groove and am wondering if it is worth the cost to change to the Ncore. Thanks

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: ClassD Audio vs. Hypex Ncore
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2012, 02:53 pm »
I think you might get a lot more answers to your question over on the N-core owners circle as many of them have had class D amps before.  With your permission I'd be happy to move your thread over there.  You're kinda new here and the multitude of circles to pick from can be confusing at first.  So rather than just move it where it should go unilaterally, which seems to upset new members, I'm going to try asking first.  Oh, and welcome to AC, hope you enjoy it here.

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2012, 04:53 pm »
I would heartily agree with Letitroll that the Hypex Owner's Circle is where you'll get the most feedback.

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2012, 05:53 pm »
Hot potato!  :lol:

john dozier

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2012, 06:31 pm »
I have no objection. Just looking for as much info as I can obtain. Thanks

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2012, 07:07 pm »
The prices are different by a rather large order of magnatude... Though I've never A/B'd them, I was more impressed with the NCores than the Class D Audio amps I'd heard. That said, I've also only heard the CDA boards and not the superior SDS versions from Class D Audio.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2012, 04:02 am »
I have no objection. Just looking for as much info as I can obtain. Thanks

Consider it done.  Com'on back to the C&C circle and say hello from time to time.

Nick77

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2012, 11:18 am »
I currently own the SDS254 ClassD Audio amplifier and also got to hear the Ncore tour model amps. I started with a CDA series and upgraded to the SDS and it had much greater control, less distortion and better dynamics. The Ncore was a similar experience, much better control, dynamics and resolution, the bass is tight and abundant. I could easily do without an external sub while using these amps. The gap between the two upgrades weighed more toward Ncore, its distortion levels are clearly exhibited in its sound. At well over twice the price the Ncore is clearly superior but the SDS is no slouch at its bargain price and responds well to mods.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2012, 03:45 pm »
Not sure if the OP is still monitoring this thread, but this direct comparison was recently posted...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105310.msg1131569#msg1131569

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:28 pm »
I'm sure the ncores are very system sensitive. In my experience they were bright and this could be the Magnepan ribbons which are very sensitive to high frequencies. So I'm only qualifying my comparison to the ClassD amps because they may not be true in other systems. With regard to classical music, I would say the ncores did a better job of extracting detail and micro detail from the source and were more dynamic. As a result, I am moving on to higher powered ClassD amps in my system to attempt to ratchet up the dynamics a bit. I haven't received the higher powered amp yet so I have nothing to report yet.

On the other hand, perhaps due to the brightness, the ncores sounded a bit hard and clinical in my system which I found to be a detriment to their reproduction of classical music. I prefer a sweeter, more musical sound and the Class D amps deliver that. They are ever so slightly on the warm side---almost like tubes but much quieter.

I suggest you try to find someone in your area who will let you audition the ncores before you decide.

steve k