XLR cables for Extreme Monos.

Randy

« on: 8 Oct 2003, 09:58 pm »
I have a preamp which the mfg. tells me should be used with XLR interconnects to the amp.  I have a pair of Extreme Monos and realize the XLR input is not a true balanced design.  Despite this, the mfg. of the pramp still recommends using balanced cables.  Who here has had good results using the XLR input on mono extremes and with what brand of cable?  Any replies will be appreciated.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2003, 02:45 am »
Hi Randy,

Call me in the first place.  Anyway,  I'm kind of indifferent for the Stratos, and even prefer the RCA inpouts on the amps,  but if the other mfct really insists so hard on the XLR's,  why not ?

Randy

XLRs
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2003, 04:34 pm »
Thanks, Klaus.  I ordered a pair already, so will see how they work out.  I won't take up your time with a call.  The amps are glorious, thanks much for them also.

The preamp I have is from BV-Audio. I got it shortly before I found out about your great company or I probably would have gotten a Tempest with the mono blocks.  The preamp is excellent, however, and I'm well satisfied with it.  The owners of BV-Audio are Russian, so I have German amps and a Russian preamp. They'll be linked by American cables.  I love it.

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2003, 02:34 am »
Klaus and others interested,
  I got a pair of Bogdan Silver Spirit XLRs to mate the BV-Audio to the Extremes and wow, the sound has taken another step up.  These cables are three separate silver coils (bare wire)  in teflon tubes linked by an Ebony spacer.  Whether the improvement is due to the use of the balanced sockets or the cable itself, I don't know.  MFG of the cable says allow 150-200 hours of break-in for them but out of the box they sound great.  More detail, smoother sound, greater depth, and surprisingly, even better bass.

By the way, my speakers, Roman Audio Centurions, look very much like the Loreleis, two ways, with a front baffle that slopes back.  They have a Diaural crossover (developed by Ray Kimber), but not quite as tall as the Loreleis.  The Extremes are the heart of the system and make these speakers sing like no other amp I've tried.  No contest.  And as you know, the amps "burgandy" finish matches the Roman "Jag red" perfectly.

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2003, 03:17 am »
Randy,

Great to hear that your Extremes and BV-Audio pre are working out.  Klaus has notified me that my Tempest should be in my hands anytime now.  The dAck! is wonderful (everything and more that others have praised it for) and I'm anxious to integrate the Tempest into my system.

Been a bit preoccupied with enjoying another new acquisition given our exceptional unseasonably warm weather:

My youngest son now has the Challenger and I'm logging initial mileage on the S2000 before putting it up for the winter-:)

Take care!

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2003, 07:11 am »
:o Sweeeeeet :o

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2003, 10:44 pm »
Bob,
  We ought to get together some weekend and do some comparison listening.  I could come up there or vice versa.  
  Some great looking vehicles.
  Now that you have a Tempest, you ought to seriously consider mono or stereo extremes to go with it.  Your Magnepans would thrive with either.

Randy

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2003, 10:46 pm »
Bob,
   Forgot to mention - I ordered an dAck, too, and should get it next month.
   Glad to hear you like its sound.

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2003, 12:16 am »
Randy,

Today was 81 but by Friday the high will be in the 40s.  Winter, long delayed, will be upon us -:(   The new sled will go into the garage to hibernate and an AWD will provide transportation.  Friday's when I hope the Tempest is delivered too (fingers crossed!).

I hear you about the Extremes and could see doing that to replace my Parasound HCA1200 and tweaked antique Dyna ST410 I'm using to biamp my Maggie MGIIIA's.....  But!  As with everything else you make choices.  Buying the S2000 was a "close to retirement" move that pushed additional audio system upgrades down the list several notches and into the out years.

Glad to hear you've ordered the dAck!  I need to explore that a bit more with you by private e-mail.

--Bob

Musky_Don

« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2003, 01:45 am »
Bob,

(I hope my wife doesn't see this.)  I bought her a yellow S2000 for her 40th :wink: .  I absolutely love the car.  I wish you the best with yours.  For what it's worth, I got a pair of Extremes and Dynaudio C1s for my 40th  :wink:   :wink:  :wink: :mrgreen: .  That car was the best present I ever bought her :thumb:  - having no kids has made it easier.  BTW, nice looking Challenger.  Have you raced yet?  I doubt you will be a match off the line, but from a rolling start, say 30-120+, I'm guessing he will get a surprise.  Enjoy the toy and the Tempest!

Don

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2003, 02:57 am »
I bought her a yellow S2000 for her 40th  . I absolutely love the car. I wish you the best with yours.....  That car was the best present I ever bought her - having no kids has made it easier. BTW, nice looking Challenger. Have you raced yet? I doubt you will be a match off the line, but from a rolling start, say 30-120+, I'm guessing he will get a surprise. Enjoy the toy and the Tempest!

Don,

I've had sports cars on and off all my life going back to a '58 TR3A -:)  Kinda like my audio system that has components I bought going back as far as 1973.  Originally I was looking at the soon to be released "federalized" Lotus Elise.  But it finally dawned on me that at 56 it was too spartan plus ill fitting for my size 10.5 EEEE feet. The pedals are ultra close together and the footwell is tiny too.  The S2000 has elements of refinement well above the Elise making it more suitable for comfortable road trips.  And while there can be no question that the Elise will be crowned king of the hill in handling plus generating visceral thrills with 190+ bhp in a 1850 lb package, the S2K is no slouch either.  Turning the wick up, engaging VTEC above 6k rpms while navigating some twisties,  shifting at 9k rpms, feeling the bite and edge of adhesion of those ultra sticky wide gummy tires,  is nothing short of a rush for this old man -:)  The only downside is that the stereo is pedestrian to start with and really can't be heard above the roar of the engine and the wind.

Now that old '73 Challenger is an exceptional muscle car.  Straight line is it's forte but gesh....  those big rears will light up and the front will jump and stay 14" off the ground, limited by the traction bars, as it screams ahead.   And the hustle doesn't seem to quit as the speedo climbs.  I eschew street racing but with a rolling start you might be surprised at what the ol' Dodge is capable of against the likes of an S2k, WRX STi, etc.   That said it is much much more one dimensional than the B Stock race ready S2000 -:)  

I did SCCA in my youth but now simply enjoy what the S2k delivers.  There may be an analogy here in that I did a lot more equipment swapping and tweaking years ago.  Now I feel I have decent synergy and performance levels that simply let me really enjoy the experience of music reproduction in the home -:)

--Bob