Cardridge

daveyonthecoast

Cardridge
« on: 19 Jun 2016, 10:42 am »
Hello Friends
My equipment is as follows:
1.Well Tempered Lab's, Classic, made in the 90's, fittered with Zu Audio, up graded Denon 103 cartridge!!
2.Vacuum State Audio JLTI phono stage, "solid Stage", with RCA loading Plugs, at rear, I'm using 100ohms plugs!!
3. Weston Audio Topaz, intergrated tube amp, 35 WPC, push pull class A
4. Zu Audio, soul speakers
I'm very happy with the sound, beats anything, that I've owned, since owning any audio gear, since the age of 14!!
So whats the problem??
Well My friends, I'm 90%, happy, but some of my favorite, albums, sound a bit harsh!!, I think I'm a bit critical, as I'm hearing shuttle things, that were there there, but were part of the colour, of the recording, but now, it has space around the notes, at the expense of brightness!!, I just want to tame it a bit, and still hear the above!!
I have changed the cartridge, loading, from 100ohm, to 250ohm, but was to bright, I think to me that maybe the Zu/Denon, may be the problem, as this is a heavy, cartridge, may be not suitable for the Well Tempered Arm, I was told it would be a good match, but now I'm not sure, I could maybe, load the cartridge, down to say 40, or 50 ohms!!
Hope someone can help
Many Thanks
David   

THROWBACK

Re: Cardridge
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2016, 02:01 pm »
Before you spring for a new cartridge, recheck your setup. Good setup can take several hours because every change you make (SRA, AZ, VTF, overhang) can affect other parameters.  So you must iterate (and iterate, and iterate . . . ). Read (and heed) Michael Fremer's treatise on SRA (Analog Planet) and (Dr. Christian) Feickert's treatise on AZ setting. Just making sure your arm looks level  from the side and the front may not be good enough.

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2016, 03:12 pm »
I would go with your instincts and try loading the cartridge down to 50 ohms or so and see if it improves, that should help tame brightness. Lowering the arm height (VTA) may also help. Let us know how it works out, and good luck finding the sweet spot!

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2016, 05:21 pm »
I would also try loading first then VTA adjustments, if loading doesn't do the trick.