CDT•1 CD Transport (for use with DMC•1)

CIAudio

CDT•1 CD Transport (for use with DMC•1)
« on: 14 Jul 2020, 02:25 pm »
The upcoming CDT•1 is a companion CD Transport allowing state of the art CD playback and ripping to files on DMC•1. It consists of a high performance slot-loading drive in a machined billet aluminum chassis. The chassis uses the same footprint as DMC, PLC, PEQ but with reduced height. Power for the drive us provided by the 5V port of DMC, audio data is through USB and clocked by the internal precision femto clocks, offering stunning performance.

The chassis design is being finished up and a few prototypes being made for testing.
In the meantime, we’ve tested many off-the-shelf drives and found this to be the best of them.
It will require a power cable and adapter (we can provide these if needed).

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XS07S
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2020, 04:17 pm by CIAudio »

CIAudio

Re: CDT•1 CD Transport (for use with DMC•1)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2020, 01:38 pm »
This will also work with adapter cable but is less user-friendly as the disc has to be snapped onto the spindle.
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-XD07S

Standard USB drives without separate power input are not compatible.

CIAudio

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2020, 02:58 pm »
Here is a basic rendering of the upcoming CDT-1 optical drive transport. Machined from solid billet aluminum with matching footprint/cosmetics to DMC-1, the CDT-1 adds CD playback and ripping functions with state of the art performance.

CDT uses a high-precision slot-loading drive mechanism in a heavily damped chassis. Power is provided by the rear port of DMC and data output is asynchronous USB. This data is then clocked into the DAC circuit with our precision femto clocks.
This data can be played back natively or resolution-enhanced up to 32 bits/768kHz.

« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2020, 02:24 pm by CIAudio »

Paulie

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2020, 04:58 pm »
I'm very intrigued by this unit!  I still have a decent collection of CDs--I missed out in the vinyl revival--and this looks like it would go nicely on my CI stack.  Power is supplied via USB from the DMC, right?

CIAudio

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2020, 12:59 am »
Power to the CDT•1 is provided by the 5V power jack on DMC•1.
This allows the USB cable to be used only for asynchronous audio data, which is then clocked into the DAC via precision femto second oscillators.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2020, 08:58 pm »
Dusty,

Any guesses on pricing, when this will go on sale?

Michael

CIAudio

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2020, 09:52 pm »
Price for CDT•1 will be $495

Not sure on a release date as the pandemic has slowed part production/delivery on just about everything. At this point, we’re shooting for November.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2021, 01:33 pm »
Is the CDT-1 now available?  Not on the website, so how do we purchase it? 

How is it controlled?  Can I just insert a disc and have it automatically play via the DMC-1 or do I have to go to my wireless device to control it? 

CIAudio

« Reply #8 on: 14 Apr 2021, 02:19 pm »
Is the CDT-1 now available?  Not on the website, so how do we purchase it? 

How is it controlled?  Can I just insert a disc and have it automatically play via the DMC-1 or do I have to go to my wireless device to control it?

CDT•1 is not yet avaiable (still waiting on chassis parts to be fabricated). It is controlled by your wireless device just like any other function of DMC•1.

vrao81

« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2021, 06:14 pm »
It only has a USB output?

CIAudio

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2021, 06:30 pm »
It only has a USB output?

Yes it is designed specifically as a companion player/ripper for DMC•1 (not a stand-alone CD player).
Audio data is transmitted asynchorous over USB, power is provided in a separate cable from the DMC output port.

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2021, 11:10 pm »
Will it work as a transport into my Ayre QB-9 Twenty? The Ayre only has a USB digital input.

CIAudio

« Reply #12 on: 14 Apr 2021, 11:50 pm »
Will it work as a transport into my Ayre QB-9 Twenty? The Ayre only has a USB digital input.

You would need a separate 5V power supply as there is no power connection through the USB.
I'm not familiar with the Ayre so I don't know how you would control it.

Craig B

« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2021, 05:39 pm »
Yes it is designed specifically as a companion player/ripper for DMC•1 (not a stand-alone CD player).

I assume when you talk about ripping, it would be to an external USB device, and not to any kind of internal storage in the DMC-1, correct?

CIAudio

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2021, 07:29 pm »
I assume when you talk about ripping, it would be to an external USB device, and not to any kind of internal storage in the DMC-1, correct?

Ripped files can be saved/stored on any hard drive or thumb drive connected to DMC•1's USB ports.

Craig B

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2021, 06:12 pm »
Ripped files can be saved/stored on any hard drive or thumb drive connected to DMC•1's USB ports.

And the mobile app controls the ripping process, including where to send the files?

By the way, Dusty, how's the product coming along? I know we're still in uncertain times, but do you have any "best guess" as to availability?

CIAudio

« Reply #16 on: 10 Aug 2021, 12:10 pm »
There are no apps, the playback software is part of our operating system.
When ripping, the software gives you the option of where to save the files.
Files can be saved to any connected USB drive.

We're still working on production of CDT•1 but do not have a release date as Covid has caused major delays from suppliers/fabricators.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #17 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:39 pm »
Probably not much demand for a standalone CD player, but would you consider it? I’m a bit of a 🦕 and don’t need streaming, file playback and the like.

Carlman

« Reply #18 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:54 pm »
I was going to buy an old transport at one point then decided to get something like an Audiolab 6000 or a Cambridge cxc. 
I was watching this thread too.. but it seems like this transport is really only designed to operate with your DAC (the DMC 1), correct?
It kind of sounds like a standalone CD player that's made up of 2 boxes.
The fact that you can rip music to a drive is a great feature as well.  Is it ripping to FLAC, mp3, wav?  Can you control the tags and folder art somehow? 
Not sure I understand the target audience of this product.... but I also realize it doesn't exist yet... so looking forward to things emerging.
-Carl

CIAudio

« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2021, 05:09 pm »
The CDT is a companion product to our DMC music player. It adds the ability to play CD's or rip them in .flac format to a local drive. Meta data is utilized when possible or can be edited with external software.

Unfortunately this project is in limbo as the supply chain is a mess and some needed components are on indefinite backorder.