Gain v. Volume. . .

pjchappy

Gain v. Volume. . .
« on: 21 Feb 2003, 02:00 am »
What exactly is the difference?

I see the Purist has gain and volume controls. . . I always thought they were basically the same thing????

thanks,

p

Curt

Gain v. Volume. . .
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 01:06 pm »
Close but not exactly...

Preamps vary in signal gain (an active circuit) from 0dB to about 12dB max. This is because different source-amp combinations can require different amounts of gain. There is no standard.

Our LLCs allow you to pick the right amount of active gain for your selected combo. This is good because you can always select the least amount you need which optimizes your sonic performance and keeps the noise at lower level.

The volume control (a passive resistive step ladder device) simply allows “all of the signal” or just “part of the signal” to pass on through to the amplifier. It has 24 positions, mostly small 1.5dB steps, and it's nice to be able to use them all for better SPL control.

We could have used a high fixed gain (at the expense of increased system noise) and allowed the VC to cut back the signal (at the expense of lost volume control resolution/ i.e. positions) but, we liked our low noise high volume resolution solution much better.

Our volume control's nice 1.5dB steps allow for precise room SPLs over a very wide range.

You may have used gear where the VC is up full blast by 10 o’clock or twelve o’clock, this makes a good example of too much gain and not enough volume control resolution.

We would consider this a non-optimized, poorly matched component system that also, probably is not giving the optimum system performance.