The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers

HAL

Re: The Megaliths open baffle line array speakers
« Reply #180 on: 24 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm »
Scott,
I am doing my best.  At least the mechanical part is done!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #181 on: 25 Jan 2017, 01:27 am »
Scott,
I am doing my best.  At least the mechanical part is done!
That was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.  So now comes the electronic control of each driver.  Impressive stuff.  Let us know how it is going. 

KLH007

« Reply #182 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:31 pm »
Rich, It appears you're getting close to the finish line, can't wait to hear the system.

HAL

« Reply #183 on: 23 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm »
To make more room for The Megaliths, moving out my Super-V's.  Unpacked them from the back of the listening room and then out to move the bass towers into better locations.  Hope to have this completed by next week.

The Super-V's are most likely sold and will be picked up in March. 

The wiring of the tweeter arrays to the amps is completed and reworked with the dspMusik RevD as the digital crossover.  Once the bass towers are moved, will be time to power up the system for measurements and Room EQ correction trials. 

HAL

« Reply #184 on: 28 Feb 2017, 09:08 pm »
At 11AM this morning, Avoosl made it over today to help me move the Super-V's upstairs for their demo in March.

What he did not know was that The Megaliths Stage 2 were fully operational in the listening room awaiting a demo.  After moving the Super-V's, we went down for the demo for the first time with everything operational with the system I have.

Sounds pretty good to me, but still a way to go with Room EQ and the 16 channel dspMusik as the next steps.  Earlier I had tried multiple music genres classical, pop and hard rock with equally good results. 

The picture shows the PI Audio Group BlunderBUSS with the custom Triode Wire Lab HAL 2m power cables that were built for this speaker project.  My thanks go out to both of them.

It's alive.   IT'S ALIVE!   BWAHA BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA   :D

« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2017, 10:20 pm by HAL »

THROWBACK

« Reply #185 on: 28 Feb 2017, 10:01 pm »
Wow! What a project! The excitement builds . . . .

Avoosl

« Reply #186 on: 2 Mar 2017, 08:45 pm »
     I'm privileged to be, after Rich, the first to hear these long, long time a-waiting MegaLith speakers.  And … ? 
First, some context.

I just don't like the sound of the open-baffle speakers I've heard, including the SuperVs - so I was prejudiced
against expecting much good from these speakers, though I encouraged Rich over the last 7 years simply because
of the audacity of his extensions to the simple line array idea.

First, the idea of a small amplifier controlling each, or each pair of drivers in a speaker with more drivers than
most could easily count was ludicrous and hard to believe at first. But this extreme idea began to lessen my prejudice.

Second, the control of the varying arrival time of elements in a tall vertical array using digital time delay seemed
like an obvious remedy for any failings and further lessened my prejudice. Why bother with a line array without
correcting for the slightly different arrival times?

Third, the use of a many-channel, active digital crossover seemed to me an optimal approach, especially given
that the problem of an impossibly unwieldy array of big amplifiers had already been solved with the use of the small
chip-amps. My prejudice had now lessened to the point that I was looking forward to a listen, even if a little
anxiously. I'm Rich's friend, but I'm also ruthless about audio matters.

Since we were scheduled to travel up the road on an unrelated matter, I only heard two tracks, both of which
I've heard many times. The first was a full orchestral piece (Polovtsian Dances?) I've heard so often as a test track,
I've lost certainty of its name. It was as if the music took full control of the room. Instruments were solidly positioned
 here, there and everywhere about the room with what I would judge as exceptional clarity, solidity and an honest,
appropriate tonality for each. Now - the speakers are close up, almost in your face, with plenty of room in back of
them, so the depth should have been good, and, in fact, was all I could ask for. And, close as they were, the speakers
 themselves seemed to vanish! This is a cliché more often written about than heard, but I was there and I heard it.

The second track I heard was one we've both heard many times, more because we plain like it, than because it's
a test track. This was 'The Gates of Istanbul' from Loreena McKennit's 'An Ancient Muse' collection. Featuring a wild
array of old and new instruments from east and west with Loreena's oddly keening, yet beautiful voice. A test track
for sure. Some of the oddball instruments sounded even purer than on my own system, which I am quite partial to.
Again, the spacing and tightness of the instruments came out admirably well. I would have liked a little more bass,
and Loreena's voice was somewhat spatially disintegrated depending on how high or low her pitch was. Rich
explained that this and other factors would be corrected when the final many, many-channel crossover arrives to refine
the driver coordination. Even so, this is looking like a speaker for the ages. All of them! My sincere congratulations to
Rich for his more than human persistence in getting this done. But then, he is HAL, after all.

I still don't like OB speakers, but this is a notable exception. Ask Rich for a listen.

Avoosl

HAL

« Reply #187 on: 7 Mar 2017, 03:01 am »
Avoosl,
The track is from Reference Recordings Exotic Dances, Dance Of The Tumblers by Rimsky-Korsakov.  I like it for full range orchestral dynamics. 

Next time bring Elvis for the next listening session. :)

So far every musical genre I play is reproduced with the sound field I really enjoy. 

Fun listening sessions in the future as more measurements and tweaking occur.  Then dspMusik RevD upgrades will be really interesting.

ebag4

« Reply #188 on: 7 Mar 2017, 03:52 am »
Congratulations Hal, quite the  achievement!  I look forward to reading more on the sound as you get them tuned up and tweaked.

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride.

Best,
Ed

HAL

« Reply #189 on: 7 Mar 2017, 04:02 am »
Ed,
Thanks! 

Will keep everyone posted as things progress.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #190 on: 7 Mar 2017, 01:26 pm »
Hey Rich,
Glad to hear they are alive and sounding fine.
I remember you blasting those demo tracks at CAF.
On the remote chance during one of your more enthusiastic listening sessions you should blow a tweeter,
don't worry, its just a FedEx shipment away from a rebuild.
But I doubt it will happen, as you recall we clipped the crap out of my amps many times at CAF,  which sent some nasty noise spikes thru the tweeters and they survived well.
Hopefully come November after CAF 2017 I can stop by for a listen.

Greg
GTAW

HAL

« Reply #191 on: 7 Mar 2017, 02:20 pm »
Greg,
Thanks again for making these ribbons for me.  They are working out very well!  Getting loud and clean with this setup is not a problem for realistic levels. 

Will have to setup a listening session here for folks after CAF2017 in November.  Let me know what day works for you.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #192 on: 7 Mar 2017, 02:47 pm »
Greg,
Thanks again for making these ribbons for me.  They are working out very well!  Getting loud and clean with this setup is not a problem for realistic levels. 

Will have to setup a listening session here for folks after CAF2017 in November.  Let me know what day works for you.
Looking forward to it...The only time I would be available,  would be that Sunday evening after the show ends.
After that its back to Jersey in the morning.

HAL

« Reply #193 on: 7 Mar 2017, 03:00 pm »
Greg,
Will email you the info. 

Rich

HAL

« Reply #194 on: 11 Mar 2017, 06:00 pm »
danvprod stopped by today to demo the Super-V's and they are now his.  Installed his 4 servo subs for the listening.  Thanks to Avoosl, who stopped in as well, as it took all 3 of us to get them into the SUV for the trip home.  Glad it all worked out and hopefully many years of happy listening to the Super-V's.

After the Super-V listening and loading, went to the listening room and fired up The Megaliths for a demo.  Put danvprod in the chair and put on some favorite demo tracks.   Think he enjoyed the demo. :)

danvprod

« Reply #195 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:35 am »

I had the pleasure of visiting @Hal today. In addition to giving his Super Vs a new home, I got a chance to hear these beauties. I had to take two pictures on the iPhone and merge them together to capture the huge-ness of these!

As I told @Hal, if this was my system I would never leave this room. I've never heard anything like these before. The closest experience I've had to this listening experience is Stax headphones. These arrays present a sense of space and envelopment better than nearly everything I have heard in the past and the bass is just perfect. Well-designed speakers, DSP-done right and a properly treated room make these A+ in my book.

Can't wait to hear how this project evolves in the future.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #196 on: 12 Mar 2017, 04:53 am »
So Rich, is this a wrap?  All electronics in place, all measurements taken, all time alignments done... and all the other things that I don't even know exist finished as well? 
Just out of curiosity, how many years has this project been in incubation? 

HAL

« Reply #197 on: 12 Mar 2017, 12:57 pm »
Scott,
No, still waiting on the 16 channel version of the dspMusik to add the extra digital crossover capabilities.  That date is still TBD.  I call this the stage 2 version.  Even at this stage they sound very good to me.  I still think improvements will occur with more measurements and tweaking. 

First time I was inspired by a planar line array was in 1979 with the Infinity IRS Reference III demo at a show.   Then when you and I were at Danny's for his planar line arrays demo that started these ideas for this build.  The dspMusik capabilities to make this all work started 7 years ago in its first revision.   Greg making the ribbon tweeter arrays was last year when I gave up waiting on the BG Neo3-PDR's being available to go with the Neo10's.  A long time.

Fun stuff!   

HAL

« Reply #198 on: 12 Mar 2017, 01:45 pm »
Dan,
Glad you liked The Megaliths demo yesterday. Thanks for the nice write-up!

The HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik RevD digital crossover were driving the amps and controlling the DAC volumes for the system that you heard.  Fun listening to it all working.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #199 on: 12 Mar 2017, 02:15 pm »
HAL,

I am mighty impressed by your persistence to push forward. It gives me impetus on my own projects.

Best,
Anand.