Wind River

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Wind River
« on: 27 Aug 2017, 03:47 am »
Wow.  Just wow.  What a great movie, great no gimmicky plot, fabulous character development, dynamic yet beautiful cinematography, every single actor was perfectly cast, unbelievable performances, you cared for all of these people, even some of the bad guys.  The movie had a wonderful flow with alternating action and tension throughout, their wasn't a moment in the entire movie that you weren't intensely engaged.  And a very satisfying ending, no goofy plot twist, just real people involved in extraordinary events.  And to top it off it was based on a true story.  Did I say I really liked it?  Highly recommended, I hope it crushes at the Oscars.

Wind Chaser

Re: Wind River
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2017, 02:42 am »
Yeah, it was a good film, much better than anything I've seen in a while. Unfortunately I missed a lot of dialogue as the sound wasn't loud enough. The films underlying issue is a hot button topic here in Canada and we finally have a government that serious about dealing with it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2017, 02:51 am »
...you cared for all of these people, even some of the bad guys.

Not me, there was nothing redeeming about them or what they did.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2017, 04:47 am »
I just saw it tonite and agree- it was riveting!  The cast was fantastic to be sure.  It's sad that the wonderful Graham Greene only seems to get cast once in a blue moon in a major film when there's a minor part for a Native American; I say that just because he's such a gifted actor that he deserves work beyond the niche roles.  The script and cinematography combine to portray both the beauty and the desperation of some of the Indian reservations in the US.  The film was remarkable in its quite intensity; the staccato bursts of violence have much more gravitas than the running gun battles of most empty action pics.  I agree the dialog was a bit hard to hear.  Initially I chalked that up to the relatively crummy theater in this town (the only one! :duh: nothing like the nice ones back home).

I will probably pick this one up on Blu-Ray down the road.  Very good and highly recommended.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2017, 05:07 am »
Well it's definitely worth watching again. Picking up the disc is a good idea; access to the subtitles might come in handy.

Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2017, 03:54 pm »
Agreed--great movie. The director/screenwriter, Taylor Sheridan, also wrote Hell or High Water and Sicario, both of which were excellent movies as well.

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2017, 04:51 am »
Fantastic !!! Don't miss this movie.

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2017, 03:51 pm »
I watched it this weekend. Excellent film. Same screenwriter for Hell or High Water and Sicario which I also liked very much. I have a question. When the Fed, reservation officers confronted the drilling security team, there was a scene where one reservation officer would not stand down. He repeated did you see it. Then "you didn't see it" to the Fed. I thought about it after the film ended. My guess is he saw a "tell". A look or fear like reaction the others didn't pick up on. Your take on it?
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2017, 07:14 pm by Mike B. »

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:09 am »
EXCELLENT movie.  The OP is dead on with his opinions but for sympathy for ANY bad guys.  Bought the BrD.

qdrone

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2018, 06:47 am »
A great movie,Jeremy Renner was excellent. This movie reminded me of the series Longmire. Taylor Sheridan writes some good stuff.

gsm18439

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2018, 01:57 pm »
Watched three excellent movies on a long flight back from India. Wind River, Snowman, and Three Billboards. . .

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:46 pm »
Watched three excellent movies on a long flight back from India. Wind River, Snowman, and Three Billboards.

Didn’t see Snowman but yes, Wind River and 3 Billboards were great films, especially 3 Billboards!

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2018, 07:38 pm »
RT has Snowman at 7% critics , audience at 19%. There is a reason you skipped it.

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2018, 01:06 pm »
Now streaming on Netflix. :thumb:
Wind River that is . Great movie !!
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2018, 08:07 pm by stlrman »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:15 pm »
RT has Snowman at 7% critics , audience at 19%. There is a reason you skipped it.

Yeah, I’m not sure I even heard of it, but there aren’t many movie theatres where I live.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2018, 02:03 pm »
Wind River got completely snubbed at the Oscars because of the association with Weinstein.  He got a hold of the movie in August, but the products got it back, too late to avoid the tie with the abuser crushing its Oscar chances. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2018, 03:35 pm »
Wind River got completely snubbed at the Oscars because of the association with Weinstein.

Wind River was a decent film but I think it was largely passed over due to a lot of very strong competition. I don’t think it (or even Dunkirk) would even make my top 10 for last year.  :|

RPM123

« Reply #17 on: 8 Mar 2018, 05:49 pm »
My wife and I saw it a few nights ago and found it outstanding. Very compelling viewing with excellent acting and haunting scenary, although as others have pointed out, the dialogue was sometimes difficult to understand. It also pointed out some of the devastating issues that native Americans face, especially those living on reservations.