What is your latest acquisition?

KeithA

Re: What is your latest acquisition?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:51 am »
Because you're paying big bucks for Chinese made speakers? To me, that's one Hell of a rip off. Dynaudio for example, are cheaper than those, and 100 percent made in Denmark by skilled union laborers. Plus the resale value on those is horrible. But, that's just my opinion. It's your money and you can do what you want.

Enjoy your Monitor Audios. :D

:roll:

Keith

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2010, 09:42 am »
Because you're paying big bucks for Chinese made speakers? To me, that's one Hell of a rip off. Dynaudio for example, are cheaper than those, and 100 percent made in Denmark by skilled union laborers. Plus the resale value on those is horrible. But, that's just my opinion. It's your money and you can do what you want.

Enjoy your Monitor Audios. :D

Why a reaction like this? There are 1,7 billion Chinese people on the planet, some of them are pretty smart and know what they are doing. If someone buys something you don't like there really is no reason to explode all over him like this.

Yes, DynAudio is cheaper. Yes, DynAudio has skilled (but most likely NOT union because that is VERY much an American/Canadian thing) laborers, but guess what... Bose is cheaper too. Bose has union laborers too. Plus, Bose is American. Need I say more?

In my opinion anyone has the right to spend his or her money on whatever he or she wants, without getting a sh*tload of abuse like this over it. And definitely not in any of MY topics.

Napalm

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2010, 11:18 am »
Why a reaction like this? There are 1,7 billion Chinese people on the planet, some of them are pretty smart and know what they are doing.

Exactly. They can manufacture any kind of product, from utter crap to excellent. It all depends on what you order and how much you're willing to pay.

The problem lies with the western world corporation attitude. "Let's make this year the cheapest junk possible and sell with a high markup so I could justify a $10 million bonus for myself". And after running the company into the ground, the CEO would still get his severance package, while everyone else gets shafted.

Either this is revised or all companies will go there sooner or later.  Some of them will get periodic bailouts of course.

Nap.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:56 pm »
New in my set: the Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.

Only one word: Awesome.

Napalm

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:59 pm »

Tell us more.  :drool:

Nap.

werd

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:02 pm »
Much respect for marantz here. solid build stuff.....

Napalm

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:37 pm »
Meh no balanced outputs  :scratch: how unprofessional  :shake:

Nap.

Anonamemouse

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:41 pm »
Tell us more.  :drool:

Nap.

I have done quite some comparing over the past few months, the reviewed players include the BCD-1 (of course), the Marantz SA-7, the Classe CDP-102 (Canadian I think), the Musical Fidelity A-1008 CD and a few others. Most times side by side, some times stand-alone, all of the times with the same few CD's.

Janis Ian's Breaking Silence, this is an excellent recording when it comes to dynamics.
Depeche mode's Exciter, one of my all time favorite CD's, and one I know every little detail of, like I was with the band in the studio during their recording sessions.
David Bowie's Earthling, so many instruments together and still every one can be located, and finally
Madonna's Ray of Light, awesome recording.
I also had a test CD with me with 99 tracks, to actually check the number of tracks played. I do not have many CD's with more than 38 tracks, but on the few ones that do I also want to be able to hear the last songs... So the BCD kinda was a no deal from the start. Yes, it sounds excellent, but I think for that money better can be found. Also SACD was a strong wish (but not an absolute must), and I really do not understand why Bryston did not go that path.
The Marantz SA-7 had everything I was looking for: awesome detail, emotion, dynamics, musicality, SA and played everyting to track 99. Oh, and a $10,000 + pricetag.

After reviewing the SA-7 it kinda was a lost cause. Some were close, but never any cigar. Until I got the chance to sit down and listen to the Pearl next to the SA-7. Pre amp was an Audio Research LS7, poweramp 7B SST2, Loudspeakers Avalons (dunno which ones). There is a difference between the SA-7 and the Pearl, but this is not a matter of quality, it is a matter of taste and gut feeling. for me, the Pearl is the winner.

When I replaced my SA 7001 KI today with the Pearl the first comment my son made was "This sounds natural, like she is standing in the room with us". This was while listening to Janis Ian. He is 13.

Awesome compliment.

Awesome.

Get one while you still can, there are only a few left.

Napalm

« Reply #28 on: 17 Jun 2010, 05:49 pm »
Get one while you still can, there are only a few left.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Only one problem .... I checked and it's some $3000 here.... I could add $1000 and get the BDA/BDP combo.... and get much more flexibility I think.... of course I couldn't play SACDs but who cares now that DRM has become a dirty word.... and Sony a four letter one....

Nap.  :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #29 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:40 pm »
Why a reaction like this? There are 1,7 billion Chinese people on the planet, some of them are pretty smart and know what they are doing. If someone buys something you don't like there really is no reason to explode all over him like this.

Yes, DynAudio is cheaper. Yes, DynAudio has skilled (but most likely NOT union because that is VERY much an American/Canadian thing) laborers, but guess what... Bose is cheaper too. Bose has union laborers too. Plus, Bose is American. Need I say more?

In my opinion anyone has the right to spend his or her money on whatever he or she wants, without getting a sh*tload of abuse like this over it. And definitely not in any of MY topics.

I'm not abusing anyone, I'm just stating my opinion.

vegasdave

« Reply #30 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:42 pm »
Exactly. They can manufacture any kind of product, from utter crap to excellent. It all depends on what you order and how much you're willing to pay.

The problem lies with the western world corporation attitude. "Let's make this year the cheapest junk possible and sell with a high markup so I could justify a $10 million bonus for myself". And after running the company into the ground, the CEO would still get his severance package, while everyone else gets shafted.

Either this is revised or all companies will go there sooner or later.  Some of them will get periodic bailouts of course.

Nap.

Most of it is crap. Fact.

Ryanz

« Reply #31 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:42 am »
New in my set: the Marantz KI Pearl SACD player.

Very nice! :bowdown:

Ryanz

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:49 am »

Anonamemouse - What do you expect from a guy who listens to Alice Cooper! CALM DOWN VEGASDAVE I'M JUST PULLING YOUR WALLET CHAIN!!!!   :surrender:

vegasdave

« Reply #33 on: 18 Jun 2010, 02:57 am »
 :jester: Ok, ok, no problem!  :D

KeithA

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:30 am »
Most of it is crap. Fact.

O/K, maybe I'll just get the Thiel 3.7s then  :wink:

Keith

vegasdave

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:38 am »
No man, get what you like! I just don't like made in China stuff, but it is very hard to avoid it. I apologize for taking my beliefs out on you.

KeithA

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:41 am »
No man, get what you like! I just don't like made in China stuff, but it is very hard to avoid it. I apologize for taking my beliefs out on you.

Vegasdave.....you didn't get it  :wink:

I don't care what anybody thinks..I buy what I want. Nothing that is said on any of these forums even registers with me :wink: I was trying to have a little fun with you, the drivers for the Thiels are made in China  :wink:

Keith

Ryanz

« Reply #37 on: 18 Jun 2010, 03:53 am »
My boxers were made in China, and holy crap are they comfy!!!!!  :eyebrows: Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Napalm

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:16 am »
[...] the drivers for the Thiels are made in China  :wink:

Poor Dave.... he doesn't have much choice left, does he?

You know what... forget where it's made... look at the company behind it... do they offer a reasonable warranty and do they have an unquestionable customer service.... do they have local reps or do you have to ship things across the globe....

If JBL lowers the price as a result of the Mexican outsourcing, then keep them on your short list. If not then you'll probably feel shafted ("mhhh the CEO is taking more bonus out of it while I still pay full price") and look elsewhere.

Nap.  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #39 on: 18 Jun 2010, 04:45 am »
Vegasdave.....you didn't get it  :wink:

I don't care what anybody thinks..I buy what I want. Nothing that is said on any of these forums even registers with me :wink: I was trying to have a little fun with you, the drivers for the Thiels are made in China  :wink:

Keith

Ok, no problem. And they are? Where did you hear this?