BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:08 pm »
Bryston BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

Hi folks – very early prototype of the new Bryston BOT-1 we are working on. 

It is a matching CD ‘Drive’ which connects to the Bryston BDP-2 digital player using the USB on the BOT-1 and one of the USB’s on the BDP-2 digital player.

You can play a CD or you can rip the CD to an internal drive in the BOT (2.5 or 3.5 inch drive x 1 or 2) which you can install internally in the BOT-1 in a special mounting case. You can also rip to the drives attach to the BDP-2.

The benefit is that the CD data is stored in memory in the BDP-2 digital player and reproduced using the high quality playback capability of the BDP-2.

James
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2013, 06:46 pm by James Tanner »

Marius

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Player)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:35 pm »
Hi James,

Shouldn't it be a BOP-1 or BOD-1 then.... :D

Are you aiming at Cd- replay only, or also on Sacd and Bluray optical discs? Taking into account you've stated earlier the end of optical discs is near, this development is rather noteworthy. Please enlighten us a bit more James.

Cheers,
Marius

srb

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Player)
« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:48 pm »
The topic title says Bryston Optical Player, then below that it's referred to as the Bryston Optical Drive.

Edit: Changed by James to both read Bryston Optical Transport.

When I think of an optical disc transport, I think of a device that can output to a DAC.

1.  Will the unit also have an S/PDIF output or a USB output that is able to connect directly to a DAC?

2.  Can the unit connect directly to a computer via USB for ripping to the computer or is it only designed to work with the BDP-2?

Steve
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2013, 01:01 am by srb »

Alpha10

Re: BRYSTON BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)
« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2013, 07:21 pm »
Looks very interesting Jmaes. When you say ripper, does it just copy the WAV to the drive or are you running some sort of ripping software to FLAC. If yes what options such as lossless and or adding cover art etc might be available?

Cheers

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2013, 07:26 pm »
James,

what type of cd drive is it and who is the manufacturer?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 07:56 pm »
James,

what type of cd drive is it and who is the manufacturer?

al.

Its a DVD bluray drive and custom

james

Marius

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:29 pm »
Bryston BOT-1 (Bryston Optical Transport)

You can play a CD or you can rip the CD to an internal drive (2.5 or 3.5 inch drive x 1 or 2) which you can install internally in the BOT-1 in a special mounting case.

James

Hi James,

I hope you won't confine the ripping  to the internal drive, and have options to rip to NAS devices in the software enabled? Will this new BOT have usb ports, just as the BDP has, to attach drives to and play them over the BDP? And have a network interface, to be able to stores files over the network?

Marius

BrysTony

« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:31 pm »
I don't care what you call it.  I want one as soon as possible.  Get those engineers on overtime  :whip:

Tony

Alpha10

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2013, 08:48 pm »
Hi again James, just a thought, those of us with BDP1 players, could we just use this as a drive enclosure? Then if and when we move on to the BDP2 or 3 in the future we could then use the optical drive and ripping ability?

I take it that it is the hardware limitations of the BDP1 which will mean the initial incompatibility?

Cheers

Ron D

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2013, 09:24 pm »
Any thoughts to incorporating the ability to read hi-rez (SACD & DVD-A) discs?

BrysTony

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2013, 09:24 pm »
Hi again James, just a thought, those of us with BDP1 players, could we just use this as a drive enclosure? Then if and when we move on to the BDP2 or 3 in the future we could then use the optical drive and ripping ability?

I take it that it is the hardware limitations of the BDP1 which will mean the initial incompatibility?

Cheers

James,

I would like clarification on this also.  My initial thought was that you would install a hard drive internally to the BOT and you would rip CDs to it for use by the BDP-1 or -2.  The BDP would read and play normally as if it were a USB drive directly installed.  I assumed that the BOT would also output to a DAC for direct playback of a CD.  Is this the way it works?

Tony

rmurray

« Reply #11 on: 12 Mar 2013, 09:59 pm »
 this ia a tubed player?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm »
Hi James,

I hope you won't confine the ripping  to the internal drive, and have options to rip to NAS devices in the software enabled? Will this new BOT have usb ports, just as the BDP has, to attach drives to and play them over the BDP? And have a network interface, to be able to stores files over the network?

Marius

Hi Marius = I will defer to Chris on that but I was just looking to have a player that  could replace our CD Player - and the sound through the BDP-2 is really excellent.

james

cbg59

« Reply #13 on: 12 Mar 2013, 10:41 pm »
Hi James,

I don't understand some things:
1) The idea of ​​a Blu-ray player is excellent and I wondered for a long time why Bryston do not     manufacture it.
2) Why send its output in BDP2 ? (For me it's not logical)
3) Would it make more sense to send its output directly to a digital to analog converter, similar to BDA1 or BDA2 ?

Alpha10

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm »
+1 for a Bryston Bluray player. That would be top of my wanted list to match the SP3  :D

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm »
Hi James,

I don't understand some things:
1) The idea of ​​a Blu-ray player is excellent and I wondered for a long time why Bryston do not     manufacture it.
2) Why send its output in BDP2 ? (For me it's not logical)
3) Would it make more sense to send its output directly to a digital to analog converter, similar to BDA1 or BDA2 ?

Hi

I really was not thinking about doing a Blu-ray player - I wanted a CD Player using the BDP-2 as the playback mate - so CD was my priority and Chris convinced me that using a Blu-Ray drive would allow for expansion in the future. 

For now though I am concentrating on playing back CD's with the option of ripping those CD's to the attached drives on the BDP-2 or the internal drives on the BOT.

james

spinner

« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:15 am »
 :thumb: :thumb:

yioryos

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:48 am »
 :D
Hi James
As others have asked the question already, please let us know if the BOT-1 will be  compatible with the BDP-1? For example will it be able to rip to an internal drive and then play the files through BDP-1/BDA-1?
Regards
George

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:59 am »
:D
Hi James
As others have asked the question already, please let us know if the BOT-1 will be  compatible with the BDP-1? For example will it be able to rip to an internal drive and then play the files through BDP-1/BDA-1?
Regards
George

Not sure - I will ask Chris.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2013, 02:35 am »
Hi All,

So compatibility with the BDP-1, ripping yes (albeit slow), just simple playback I doubt it greatly.  A BDP-1 would also be able to make use of the BOT's internal storage.  Supported media formats, audio cd's yes, audio from a DVD movie is also very likely.  DVD-A I will have to look into but could be a possibility, I'm not sure about encryption or drm.  Blu-ray audio is also a maybe, depends on what open source solutions are available really.  Using a bluray drive in the BOT just leaves more possibilities available and ensures maximum possible growth in our software, kind of like how we put a ton of processing power into the BDP-2.  The unit is over powered for the existing firmware, but it gives us tons of resources to expand the firmware (ie buffer an entire cd into main memory for a great playback experience).  As for why we don't have an output to a DAC, well the BOT one doesn't contain a processor, so you need the BDP to read the data and output it to a DAC.  No hou don't have to rip to internal storage, you cN send it right off to your NAS.  As I mentioned earlier in the year there is all lot in the works at Bryston right now.  I think I have covered everything that i can cover until I get a chance to speak with James further.

Cheers,
Chris