soundbitten1

Re: Netflix: What to watch?
« Reply #180 on: 6 Jan 2016, 03:21 am »

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #181 on: 8 Jan 2016, 03:42 am »
Okay, I'll take your advice and start up again with it. I stopped after ep3, but am more than happy to continue watching.

As for The Man in the High Castle, I feel like Amazon did a bit of a bait and switch with this one. Like many others, I was pretty captivated after the first two eps and was eagerly awaiting the final 8 eps to be released. But this show just went nowhere for me. After a full 10 hours of viewing, I would have expected the overarching story to have advanced...but to me it didn't at all. It was just a series of people tripping over each other, making foolish decisions, and events that seemed to have absolutely nothing to do with the actual premise of the show. That being said, the acting was very good and they did a great job making it really feel like America that had been taken over by the Germans/Japanese...but in terms of the plot, I give it very low marks. I felt like it ended up being a complete waste of my time in the end.

That's too bad - I have watched the pilot and it was decent. If I remember, the book that it is based on (by Philip K. Dick) was a good read at first , then rambled, and seemed that it was never finished. Dick was a troubled man at times.

stlrman

« Reply #182 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:19 pm »
Chef's Table season 2.

This series is just stunning!! The stories of the chefs are so moving! The food when displayed belongs at MOMA.
The cinematography is stunning .  :thumb:
The show is about the greatest chefs / restaurants in the world , but you will be moved by the stories of love, passion, creativity, and drive. Watch both seasons , I think you will be amazed!

srb

« Reply #183 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:37 pm »
Bloodline was mentioned briefly in a few posts back in November 2015, at which time only Season 1 had been produced.

I just finished binge watching Seasons 1 and 2 over the course of a couple weeks and found it excellent, addictive and one of the best series I've watched.

Two notes:

1.  Watching the pilot episode, it did start out very slow, truth be told I was a bit bored and tired - so I put it away after about 25 minutes into it.  I revived it the next night, and the second half of the episode picked up the pace.  From there I was hooked!

2.  The last episode of Season 2 (Part 23) ended on a cliffhanger.  Now I'm reading that this coming July is the end of Florida's current film incentive tax credit program (It was filmed in the Florida Keys) and production for Season 3 is up in the air.

Aaaargh!

Steve

mcgsxr

« Reply #184 on: 8 Jun 2016, 06:57 pm »
SRB I just made it through the pilot of Bloodline today.

Based on your feedback I will schedule some time in my calendar to pursue this one!

jazzcourier

« Reply #185 on: 8 Jun 2016, 09:40 pm »
Just finished the second run of ten episodes of  "Bloodline". The first season had thirteen episodes,so that is a total of twenty three. The second run ended on a huge cliffhanger with many unresolved plot issues.No way is this series not going to be continued,it is just not finished.Eaily the best series since "Breaking Bad". Just watch it!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #186 on: 12 Jun 2016, 09:21 pm »
British documentary on the history of Afghanistan starting in the 1800's.  It's 2 hours total.  The first episode (hour) focuses on the British/Afghan story in the 1800's and early 1900's.  The second hour focuses on the Russian/Afghan and US/Afghan story in more recent times.  All I can say is that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #187 on: 12 Jun 2016, 09:23 pm »
So happy Peaky Blinders is back. And Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is growing on me.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #188 on: 22 Jun 2016, 12:38 am »
Watched "Jaco", a recent documentary on legendary bass player Jaco Pastorius. New to Netflix. Not bad. Not great either - would have preferred more / longer clips of his playing. But not bad - worth watching.

Yomaha

« Reply #189 on: 22 Jun 2016, 07:10 pm »
Just finished the second run of ten episodes of  "Bloodline". The first season had thirteen episodes,so that is a total of twenty three. The second run ended on a huge cliffhanger with many unresolved plot issues.No way is this series not going to be continued,it is just not finished.Eaily the best series since "Breaking Bad". Just watch it!

I loved the first season...I thought the second season was a bit of a plough...constantly lying about everything...it was giving me anxiety.  I did think that the last episode of season 2 was awesome.  I can't tell if they bring it back for season three or not!

JoshK

« Reply #190 on: 22 Jun 2016, 09:38 pm »
I really like Peaky Blinders and especially the soundtrack!  Its not a 5 star show but maybe a 4.5. 
Bloodline is pretty good and I'd give it at least a 4/5 if not 4.5. 

Not on Netflix but if you have other services check out Penny Dreadful. 

Tyson

« Reply #191 on: 22 Jun 2016, 10:42 pm »
Second the Penny Dreadful rec.  Man does Eva Green put on an acting clinic - who knew she had that kind of range, heft, and force.  And on a monster show, of all places.  The show itself is fun and a bit silly.  But holy crap Eva BRINGS IT every week.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #192 on: 22 Jun 2016, 10:45 pm »
I just finished watching Spotlight on Netflix. They sent an email announcing the availability. Grab it while. You can. When they do this it usually shows only briefly. Small window of opportunity.

JoshK

« Reply #193 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:24 pm »
Second the Penny Dreadful rec.  Man does Eva Green put on an acting clinic - who knew she had that kind of range, heft, and force.  And on a monster show, of all places.  The show itself is fun and a bit silly.  But holy crap Eva BRINGS IT every week.
Yeah, she is oscar worthy!  I really like the effects, drama, idea, execution of the idea and the visuals.  Yes its a silly monster movie but it is pretty well done.  There was an episode here or there that seemed to kinda drone, but so does Game of Thrones this season.   

Tyson

« Reply #194 on: 23 Jun 2016, 12:02 am »
Yeah, she is oscar worthy!  I really like the effects, drama, idea, execution of the idea and the visuals.  Yes its a silly monster movie but it is pretty well done.  There was an episode here or there that seemed to kinda drone, but so does Game of Thrones this season.   

Part of what I like to do is wait till the season is over and then blow through the whole thing all at once.  It really helps make those "treading water" episodes easier to get through.  Also makes the full arc of the story a bit more clear.  And it makes mid-season digressions a bit less distracting.  Plus there's so many good shows out there now that I need to catch up on, that PD will be finished before I get back around to it. 

JoshK

« Reply #195 on: 23 Jun 2016, 12:04 am »
Yeah I hear you.  Sometimes I do that, but PD and GoT I am watching live because I still pay for cable for the time being and I was enticed to stay because of those free channels (HBO, Showtime, TMN and all on demand).   

mcgsxr

« Reply #196 on: 23 Jun 2016, 12:23 am »
I am enjoying Bloodline (on S1 10) but it has a long way to go to catch Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. Or even Banshee or Homeland.  It is OK so far.

JoshK

« Reply #197 on: 23 Jun 2016, 12:32 am »
Bloodline took me till the end to sign off on whether or not to recommend it.  That is for me.  Season 2 is ok so far, not super great, but I haven't finished, I am a couple episodes shy.  But there is too much soccer on now (my sport).   Euro Cup is still pretty early and Copa America ended last night in tears for me (who am I kidding, USA had no chance vs. Argentina but I was hoping to not get so stomped, but at least not Chile/Mexico style stomped....ouch) but Chile/Colombia tonight should be good. 

Bemopti123

« Reply #198 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:05 am »

Not on Netflix but if you have other services check out Penny Dreadful.

Oh, how I will miss Penny Dreadful after 3 wonderful seasons.  It simply has incredible dialogue with such outstanding acting.  It is regrettable that it was done after three short years.  It went out with a bang.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2016, 11:17 pm by Bemopti123 »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #199 on: 30 Jun 2016, 05:40 pm »
Danger, Will Robinson!

This might be interesting. Before there was Star Trek, I was captivated by Lost in Space and all its dorky-ness.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/06/29/lost-in-space-netflix/?mod=yahoo_hs