Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

Rod_S

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #140 on: 5 Jan 2016, 02:17 am »
What manufacturer's binding posts do you use on your amps? I've noticed they have changed over the years, at least on certain models where they used to be black with either red and blue coloring or red and black for +/- and now clear is used with the red/black seen within for the +/-.

Are the binding post connections designed in such as way that other options could be used?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 5 Jan 2016, 03:39 am »
What manufacturer's binding posts do you use on your amps? I've noticed they have changed over the years, at least on certain models where they used to be black with either red and blue coloring or red and black for +/- and now clear is used with the red/black seen within for the +/-.

Are the binding post connections designed in such as way that other options could be used?

Hi

Yes they do change but we can not offer different types as we would have to go through safety checks for each change.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #142 on: 5 Jan 2016, 11:44 am »
Ah, there's that darn safety check process again, like you mentioned on the BIT thread when I asked about different receptacles. That part of the business is a pain for sure but in the end a necessity for ensured quality, performance and longevity. It would have been badass to have say BIT's with Furutech's GTX-D(R), either standard or new NCF variant for receptacles and Furutech's topline FT-818(R) binding posts for the amps

larevoj

« Reply #143 on: 6 Jan 2016, 12:52 pm »
Hi

Yes they do change but we can not offer different types as we would have to go through safety checks for each change.

james

Would love to have WBT-0705Cu for a premium upgrade if available  :thumb:

Rod_S

« Reply #144 on: 6 Jan 2016, 04:18 pm »
Yep, that model would certainly be an upgrade :)

Xinon

« Reply #145 on: 6 Jan 2016, 08:32 pm »
Hi

The cosmetics are not changing on the B135 - just the guts. The new 2.5B amplifier uses the Cubed design and the B135 used that same amplifier now.

james

I understand you are not changing the box  :D
I was thinking about the text in front(of B135) that says "SST2"  :thumb:

SoundGame

« Reply #146 on: 7 Jan 2016, 02:11 am »
So from all I'm hearing, the new Cubed series are a definite step up in performance, so the big question would be:

Within its power range, would the new 4B3 perform noticeably better than the outgoing 7B-SST2? 

Would love to know.

DWG

« Reply #147 on: 8 Jan 2016, 01:24 am »
Looking forward to this.  Looking at the new DAC as well.  Maybe we'll get some news following CES

mv038856

« Reply #148 on: 13 Jan 2016, 03:43 pm »
Only the SST2 can be upgraded.

Hi James,

reading the CUBED poster, I would conclude that the changes in the CUBED design are mainly in the input section.

Couldn't there be an "input stage only upgrade path" for SST/SST² owners?  :wink: Since I experinced the sonic qualities of my SP-3, I believe that the handling of the line level signals is not only extremely important, but also one of Bryston's strengths!  :thumb:

Such an "input stage only upgrade", if technically feasible, could be worth while. Mind you, I am owning three 6B SSTs, so there isn't a CUBED version yet, so any upgrade for that model line is uncertain anyway...

Cheers!

Markus

95Dyna

« Reply #149 on: 13 Jan 2016, 09:48 pm »
So from all I'm hearing, the new Cubed series are a definite step up in performance, so the big question would be:

Within its power range, would the new 4B3 perform noticeably better than the outgoing 7B-SST2? 

Would love to know.

Hi SoundGame,

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well.  Since we haven't heard from James I'm betting his answer is going to be if your room size and speaker load are proportionately lighter/smaller and in the 4B3's wheelhouse the answer will be yes.  He has always said the amp hierarchy at Bryston is not about good/better/best but about application i.e. what size room do you have to fill and how tough are your speakers.

I just replaced my 25 year old Infinity 9 Kappas with a new pair of Focal Sopra 2's.  The Infinitys dipped to .8 ohms at 30 and 340 hz with nasty phase angles.  the Focals are an easy 8 ohm nominal, 3.1 ohm min and 91 db sensitivity.  This is why I'm having the same thought.  My 7B SST2's think they have died and gone to heaven  :lol:

SoundGame

« Reply #150 on: 13 Jan 2016, 11:23 pm »
Hi SoundGame,

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well.  Since we haven't heard from James I'm betting his answer is going to be if your room size and speaker load are proportionately lighter/smaller and in the 4B3's wheelhouse the answer will be yes.  He has always said the amp hierarchy at Bryston is not about good/better/best but about application i.e. what size room do you have to fill and how tough are your speakers.

I just replaced my 25 year old Infinity 9 Kappas with a new pair of Focal Sopra 2's.  The Infinitys dipped to .8 ohms at 30 and 340 hz with nasty phase angles.  the Focals are an easy 8 ohm nominal, 3.1 ohm min and 91 db sensitivity.  This is why I'm having the same thought.  My 7B SST2's think they have died and gone to heaven  :lol:

Yes, my guess is that the new 4B3 will outperform the previous 7B-SST2 when operating within its optimal power range ie. dynamic demands not exceeding 300 to 350 and speaker load being above 4 ohms. 

My room is 13' x 18.5" x 7.5" and acoustically treated with bass traps, diffraction, absorption, including shag carpeting.  My speakers are not a well known brand in North America but come from a German manufacturer: Aurum Montan VIII by quadral and are full-range, extremely transparent, utilizing a magnetostat tweeter and exotic driver materials (ALTIMA - aluminum, titanium and magnesium); I also have a pair of KEF LS50.  Both of these speakers don't present demand too much demand on my 4B-SST2, yet still I was considering the 7B-SST2, since it does have the BIT transformer configuration and more dynamic capability (my speaker can handle 500 watt peaks).  My expectation is that the 7B is more impervious to less than optimal power at source - providing more consistently better sound in the sweet spot.  I expect that the 7B-SST2 would outperform my 4B-SST2 even on my nominal load when listened to at the sweet spot.  I expect blacker backgrounds and therefore more fine details as well as even greater ease - though all these would likely be small improvements and perhaps only noticeable on A/B/A comparison. 

With the new Cube series, from what I'm hearing, I expect the 4B3 will outperform my 4B-SST2 by a greater degree than a pair of 7B-SST2 - looking to James to share his thoughts.   I'm also guessing that the gap between the 4B3 and 7B3 remains as it was with the previous generation, so in a couple of years, even if I go to a 4B3, I may likely be back to questioning the merits of a 7B3 in my system.   

I also guess that there is a greater difference between the 4B and 7B then between the 7B and 28B where power demands are adequately handled by a 4B.

1ZIP

« Reply #151 on: 14 Jan 2016, 11:14 pm »
James;

Maybe this question has already been asked….but how much longer will the 4BSST2 be in production?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #152 on: 14 Jan 2016, 11:18 pm »
James;

Maybe this question has already been asked….but how much longer will the 4BSST2 be in production?

It is officially no longer in production but we have built 10 units due to customers orders.

james

SoundGame

« Reply #153 on: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34 am »
It is officially no longer in production but we have built 10 units due to customers orders.

james

Hi James, do you now have the full official price list on the new Cube series - I know you mentioned about a 10% increase - hoping for under 10..

SoundGame

« Reply #154 on: 15 Jan 2016, 12:46 am »
Hi James, do you now have the full official price list on the new Cube series - I know you mentioned about a 10% increase - hoping for under 10..

Oh, in addition to my curiousity on prices of the Cubed series amps; I'm wondering in this latest iteration if the soft start circuit is now absolutely quiet?  My 4B-SST2 on power up makes a buzzing noise and then a click through the speakers when it comes on - from there, there is just the faintest hiss, when I put my ear within 12 inches of the tweeter.  Is the new Cube series now utterly quiet i.e. without power on noise and operating hiss?

gdbalp

« Reply #155 on: 15 Jan 2016, 12:50 am »

First thing, can not wait to hear the improvement from the SST2s version :thumb:.... 

Will you have any special events in Toronto to showcase the amplifiers in action?

And any timeline on the 6B and 9B introductions of the new cube version?

Ciao, Luigi

scirica

« Reply #156 on: 15 Jan 2016, 01:40 am »
Oh, in addition to my curiousity on prices of the Cubed series amps; I'm wondering in this latest iteration if the soft start circuit is now absolutely quiet?  My 4B-SST2 on power up makes a buzzing noise and then a click through the speakers when it comes on - from there, there is just the faintest hiss, when I put my ear within 12 inches of the tweeter.  Is the new Cube series now utterly quiet i.e. without power on noise and operating hiss?

Interesting. The 14bsst2 that I've had for a couple months has no hiss whatsoever. Ear is right next to the tweeter. I do of course get the quick start up noise that's just part of the design, but after that just blackness. Of course I never turn my amp off, so I haven't heard that start up noise for a long time!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #157 on: 15 Jan 2016, 01:55 am »

Should have prices next week

james

1ZIP

« Reply #158 on: 15 Jan 2016, 07:42 pm »
10% or less?  Looks like it's time to sell the 4B ST.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #159 on: 15 Jan 2016, 10:26 pm »
 Silly question perhaps but does the power button light up on these new models ? :cyclops: