who can compare M4 vs M3 vs X2?

Chris_B

who can compare M4 vs M3 vs X2?
« on: 2 Mar 2018, 03:10 pm »
I'm guessing that a few folks here are pretty familiar with the M4 and then moved to the M3.  What were the major differences apart from the lower base (45 Hz vs 32 Hz)? Likewise, if anyone can also comment on what they heard from the M3 Triode Master, that would be helpful too. 

On the offhand that anyone can related M3/4 to the X2, that would be great as well.

I had a chance to listen to the M4 for a few minutes and liked what i heard.  Now I'm considering a pair somewhere in the Spatial line (may actually save up for the X2) and any feedback on how they compare to each other would very much appreciated.

thanks,

Chris

mick wolfe

Re: who can compare M4 vs M3 vs X2?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2018, 04:49 pm »
A lot will depend on your amplification. If you're a tube guy, the Triode Master versions of the M3 or M4 might be your best choice. With solid state, you're open to just about any of the models. Room size will also come into play on choosing between the M3 or M4.  Just my opinion and nothing more. Those who have heard (or own) the X2 vs. the M series  will have to chime in with any further info. Good luck.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2018, 05:19 pm »
It was my intention to hear the M4 before making a decision to buy the M3. In fact I was an hour into the 1.5 hour long drive to demo the M4 when I changed my mind and decided to buy the M3. The more I thought about it, the more it became clear that the M3 would be the better way to go for two reasons.

The first being bass. With the M3 I don’t feel the need to augment the bass with a sub. IMO, adding a typical sub with either of these two speakers would be a mistake. To my way of thinking it doesn't make sense to throw a typical sub (boxed bass) into the mix with OB bass. OB bass is of a very different character/quality than boxed bass, many would even argue superior and rightly so. Chances are you’d be more tempted to do that with the M4 than the M3.

The second reason is with both of these models being a point source, and the vertical point of delivery is much lower with the M4. I am definitely of the opinion that this matters, so much so that I have my M3’s up another 131 mm to match the level of my ears. I can’t imagine building a platform high enough to raise the M4 so the point of delivery matches the height of my ears.

As for the X-2, I haven’t heard them, but they are also 3x more costly. Definitely a speaker worth considering if your willing to spend that much.

ajayrav

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2018, 06:50 pm »

The second reason is with both of these models being a point source, and the vertical point of delivery is much lower with the M4. I am definitely of the opinion that this matters, so much so that I have my M3’s up another 131 mm to match the level of my ears. I can’t imagine building a platform high enough to raise the M4 so the point of delivery matches the height of my ears.

This is something that concerns me a bit about the M4 and its 36 inch height.  Will the height have to be raised if my listening position is near field and about 6-7 feet away?

Thanks,
Ajay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2018, 06:58 pm »
The M3 and M4s are both great products.  But the X2 is Spatial's "homerun" product.  Seriously, they knocked it out of the park with that one.  Put another way - the M3's and M4's compete with much more expensive speakers.  The X2s are flat out one of the best speakers on the planet.  At least based on my RMAF experiences over the past few years. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2018, 07:40 pm »
This is something that concerns me a bit about the M4 and its 36 inch height.  Will the height have to be raised if my listening position is near field and about 6-7 feet away?

Depends on the height of your ears when you sit in your listening chair. In a close near field arrangement the vertical position becomes all the more important. Most people with stand mounts aim to get the tweeter level with the ear for a reason...

targa02

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2018, 08:19 pm »
I have heard the M3, M4 and X2s at various audio shows (not at same time).  My impression is exactly that of Tyson.  The M3 and M4 are great and punch way above their cost-class.  I would go with the M3 between the two, for obvious reasons.  But, as Tyson points out, the X2 is spooky good.

Chris_B

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2018, 12:15 am »
Thanks for your impressions.  What made the M3 > M4 - better tonality, smoother highs, dynamics? 

I'm sure the X2 is better but can you describe how so and/or compare it to other speakers?

Thanks again and I'm jealous that you guys were able to listen to them for more than a few minutes.

hjsouth

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2018, 12:37 am »
I have had all the various versions, three, of the M3 so I can add my comment about those.  I received my upgraded Triode Master last month and have had them in my system for over three weeks.  I can unequivocally say that the M3 Triode Master is a better speaker than the M3 Turbo S and worth the additional cash.  The imaging is phenomenal with the updates, and would even be better if I could get them further of the wall.  I suspect that the X series is a significant step above what I have. If I had 10k to spend I'd do it, but for my system and budget these speakers rock!.  I have had floorstanding Vandersteens and Kefs and these are a nice step above in my opinion, in both soundstage, dynamics.  Plus Spatial is great to deal with, because the owner is accessible!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2018, 01:05 am »
Thanks for your impressions.  What made the M3 > M4 - better tonality, smoother highs, dynamics? 

I'm sure the X2 is better but can you describe how so and/or compare it to other speakers?

Thanks again and I'm jealous that you guys were able to listen to them for more than a few minutes.

So, is the X2 not under serious consideration for you?  If it's not, then I won't keep going on and on about how much better it is :lol:

hjsouth

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2018, 01:13 am »
Ha, good point.  Cost dictates a lot.  Chris_B will have to chime in.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2018, 01:15 am »
Tyson,

From what I can see, it looks like the X-2 doesn't have a wave guide, is that so or am I missing something?

John

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:11 am »
It uses a "Heil" type AMT so no need for one.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:41 am »
What is it about the Heil AMT that doesn’t merit/benefit from a wave guide?

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2018, 02:49 am »
It is directional by nature as the "guide" is part of the shape and design.

http://esslabsusa.com/heil-amt/

Chris_B

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2018, 03:06 am »
So, is the X2 not under serious consideration for you?  If it's not, then I won't keep going on and on about how much better it is :lol:

There is $10,000 burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent on speakers.   :lol:

So far, I've auditioned the following: 
 - a pair of dealer demo Audio Physic Avanteras which imaged great and were dynamic and may be gettable because the dealer is moving locations,
  -  a pair of Dynaudio Contour 60s which sounded big but wasn't the best in imaging
  - various Focals (Sopra and Arias) which looked nice and sounded detailed but didn't quite move me to either settle for the lower end or shell out for the upper end.

The lowly M4s sounded really good and from what I've read, the open baffle design may be what I'd like.  The problem is that I don't have the ability to hear the other models so before I place an order, I was hoping to get some thoughts on how they compare form folks who have heard them. 

JackD

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2018, 03:28 am »
Chris

As the X2 has only been shipping for a few weeks and those that have them are still breaking them in I suspect the best you are going to get is anecdotal show impressions like you have gotten.  Other than the M3 TM the other models in the two series are just bigger and more with each model in addition to the height difference possibly being an issue. Even in a smaller room I would not have ordered the M4 due to the height.  I owned the M3 TS for over a year and have had mine back from being converted to TM's since the end of July.  So after over six months it is a better speaker to me in my room especially the top end.  The voicing is slightly different with the new wire, crossover and compression driver in the Triode Master, but I could see someone preferring the Turbo S instead.  It's not like asking people to give you comparisons of speaker with longevity in the market like Harbeth, Vandersteen or others.  I'm not familiar with the sound of Audio Physics but I can tell you that the sound of Spatial has nothing in common with the sound of a Focal speaker. 

If the X2 had been available or even announced before I sent my M3 TS's back for the upgrade I would have waited and gone straight to the X2.  Now I will need to wait a bit before moving up the line.  You might also depending on your room size listen to the Goldenear Triton Reference.

mpv

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:21 pm »

Did you try tilt them? I had good results with Gaia III footers.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:38 pm »
Tilting them back does not have the same effect.

mpv

« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:40 pm »
Tilting them back does not have the same effect.
It sure improve stage heights  :)