Gain in Mosfet amp and suitable speakers for the 2 different volume controls

kumasan

Having 99 db/w speakers I often run into problems with the volume control being too sensitive. Among other things I have a transformer based passive pre amp with a max attenuation of 48 db and an amp with 36 db of gain and this is getting way too loud even in the first step of the attenuator giving me a total of 36-48 = -12 db.

1) What is the gain of the Mosfet amp?
2) What max. speaker sensivity do you recommend for the two volume controls available?

Vinnie R.

• Facilitator
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com

Having 99 db/w speakers I often run into problems with the volume control being too sensitive. Among other things I have a transformer based passive pre amp with a max attenuation of 48 db and an amp with 36 db of gain and this is getting way too loud even in the first step of the attenuator giving me a total of 36-48 = -12 db.

1) What is the gain of the Mosfet amp?
2) What max. speaker sensivity do you recommend for the two volume controls available?

Hi kumasan,

max attenuation of 48 db and an amp with 36 db of gain

Welcome to Audiocircle and the Vinnie Rossi forum!

You certainly have A LOT of gain for 99dB speakers, and not enough attenuation.

LIO RVC's max attenuation (besides MUTE) is -63dB, with 64 steps.
LIO AVC's max attenuation (besides MUTE) is -54dB, with 64 steps.

As for your questions:

1) approx. 27dB

2) For either, you'll be fine with speakers with a sensitivity > 100dB.  But with such speakers, 36dB is too much gain on the power amp, in my opinion.

With LIO, I do not believe you'll have a problem with the volume being too loud on the first few steps - even with speakers > 100dB.

Best regards,

Vinnie