M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

nicoch

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #300 on: 15 Dec 2019, 07:23 pm »
HI Clayton can you explain how you cut the bass from the tw ??  look like a new inventions !
ps the tw look a lot like the Peerless DA32TX00-08
https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-da32tx00-08-1-1-4-corundum-dome-tweeter--264-1678

timing3435

« Reply #301 on: 16 Dec 2019, 01:21 am »
Looks to be the same but Clayton said 0.3-grams moving mass this is 0.5 grams ... Design is the same with cooling fins curved and +/- on the back on both. His may be a custom unit.

Don_S

« Reply #302 on: 16 Dec 2019, 01:25 am »
Pictured item is the same part number.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #303 on: 16 Dec 2019, 01:29 am »
Looks to be the same but Clayton said 0.3-grams moving mass this is 0.5 grams ... Design is the same with cooling fins curved and +/- on the back on both. His may be a custom unit.

One clear difference with Clayton's is a much lower extension.  Also Clayton mentions ferrofluid cooling.  In the thread where I compare the M3S and the M3TM I give my opinion on this.  Spatial does not make their own drivers and Clayton makes that clear.  Spatial partners with driver manufactures on custom builds.  This IMO was an excellent partnership.  Wilson audio does not make their own drivers either along with many others who make excellent speakers.

timing3435

« Reply #304 on: 16 Dec 2019, 01:41 am »
As long as the sound is great I do not care where they come from. Just interesting. Oil paint is cheap its how you put it on canvas. i can hear Clayton putting the sound together as a whole. He probably kissed allot  of mid/tweeters to get it right  at the pricepoint

nicoch

« Reply #305 on: 16 Dec 2019, 05:35 pm »
.  This IMO was an excellent partnership. 
Sure Peerles  is really good ,a little bs marketing but we know is just this world...
but you quote:
 1) The Sapphire tweeter is electrically connected directly to the amplifier output (no internal x-over network)
this is not possible ,maybe a special  serial xover con be done caps less

Shakeydeal

« Reply #306 on: 16 Dec 2019, 05:48 pm »
Sure Peerles  is really good ,a little bs marketing but we know is just this world...
but you quote:
 1) The Sapphire tweeter is electrically connected directly to the amplifier output (no internal x-over network)

Maybe it's just me. But it seems that your queries would be better addressed to Clayton offline and not in this forum. You almost seem confrontational.

Shakey

sockpit

« Reply #307 on: 16 Dec 2019, 05:51 pm »
I don't see it that way.

I certainly would love to know more about both drivers of my soon to ship speakers, so long as it doesn't compromise IP, etc.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #308 on: 16 Dec 2019, 05:58 pm »
Asking questions is ok. Sometimes it's the delivery that could be improved upon.

But if one really wants to know more about the drivers in Clayton's (or any other manufacturer) speakers, it's way more efficient to have a phone conversation. That is, if you are serious about understanding the design and not just trolling. Again, not pointing fingers, just offering an opinion on the optics.

Shakey

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #309 on: 16 Dec 2019, 06:14 pm »
but you quote:

You are flat out wrong.  You can wire directly from your amp into the tweeter bypassing the speaker binding posts entirely.  This is how Paul of Anticable said he is going to wire his as you can see in his post.  And this is not the first time it has been done in a loudspeaker design.

Don_S

« Reply #310 on: 16 Dec 2019, 06:15 pm »
Shakey,

I am with you. Asking a question is one thing. Making a bold statement that something cannot be done is entirely different. Especially without firsthand knowledge of the product. Armchair engineering.

nicoch

« Reply #311 on: 17 Dec 2019, 07:58 pm »
You can wire directly from your amp into the tweeter bypassing the speaker binding posts entirely.  This is how Paul of Anticable said he is going to wire his as you can see in his post. 
this is actually impossible for  a tw ! maybe new inventions ? 
a new  patent  in a story of loudspeakers ?
most probably Paul is wrong ..but  that's why I ask kindly to Clayton 

nicoch

« Reply #312 on: 17 Dec 2019, 08:10 pm »
just a remember one the best monster  drome 3" in this world  is the ATC , 7kg  is filtred at 300Hz.....
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/ATC-SM75-150.htm

Jprod

« Reply #313 on: 18 Dec 2019, 04:48 am »
On a unrelated note , I tried some Howard’s feed n wax on my walnut speakers. It’s beeswax and orange  oil.   I put a little on an wiped it off rather quickly ( the directions say leave on for 20 minutes but didn’t want to push my luck and alter the wood veneer in a negative way).  IMO it brought out more  of the beauty  of the veneer without looking glossy. Also there was some parts of the veneer in the grain that was white where the stain did not reach.  It darkened up those areas as well.  I am sure Clayton can comment on the care of the speakers but I thought I would share the positive results.

bobh123

« Reply #314 on: 20 Dec 2019, 06:56 am »
Clayton, what do you recommend for the treatment of the wood on the front of the Sapphires??

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #315 on: 20 Dec 2019, 03:32 pm »
Are there any models in Colorado?  I'd love to hear a pair.

Jprod

« Reply #316 on: 21 Dec 2019, 02:11 am »
It’s approximately 16 feet wide by about 30 -35 feet deep. It’s an oddly shaped room with a diagonal gas fireplace on the right side.  I sit about 10 feet back measured from  the speaker. Behind the couch is a table, then a foosball table , bar stools and a bar.  Obviously I never listen anywhere else other than the couch. 

The bass initially doesn’t seem as impactful as my turbo s speakers.  It also seems to drop off at lower volumes compared to the turbo s. However they are new and I have not had proper time to break them in which I’m sure is a factor.

I have been so busy  at work.  Finally uploaded a pic of my room from behind the bar to give some perspective.
That’s why I have been wondering if the M3’s would have been a better fit given the length of my room. Still need to play with m5 some more....

Shakeydeal

« Reply #317 on: 21 Dec 2019, 11:25 am »
That is a big room for sure and I agree that the m3 would be the best choice. But the bass will get better as the break in process continues. The bass response of my X3s is worlds better now than it was the first 200 or so hours. So hang in there. Oh, and that’s a beautiful room.

Shakey

Jprod

« Reply #318 on: 21 Dec 2019, 01:22 pm »
That is a big room for sure and I agree that the m3 would be the best choice. But the bass will get better as the break in process continues. The bass response of my X3s is worlds better now than it was the first 200 or so hours. So hang in there. Oh, and that’s a beautiful room.

Shakey
Thanks for the compliment! It’s all my wife.  She has quite the knack for decorating. I got the speakers during such a busy time of year between work and Christmas that I haven’t put in the necessary hours to break these in.  I’m hopeful the bass does improve

Downtheline

« Reply #319 on: 21 Dec 2019, 04:30 pm »
Nice room! Yeah you definitely need the m3s, I'll take the m5s off your hands.!! :D