M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

SnowPuppy77

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #200 on: 10 Nov 2019, 05:39 pm »
Thought you all would like to see a pic of the Sapphire dome with the metal grill removed.  The grill is held on magnetically tight.  Use something like a paperclip and put in one of the holes to pull it off.  Be careful not to poke the driver.  Not difficult to remove or replace.  Clayton told me that measurements do not reveal any difference with the grill on or off.  Can't say that I can notice any difference in sound quality so will be leaving my grills on.

In case any were wondering the black plate around the dome is metal.

PS

« Reply #201 on: 10 Nov 2019, 11:28 pm »
@Ric Shultz
Ric, why did you suggest trying felt around the tweeter? Do you think it needs "taming?"

I've not heard the M4 nor the newer models but I am interested in Clayton's speakers for my small, dedicated music room.  The reviews are so positive.  :)

Thanks.

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #202 on: 11 Nov 2019, 01:13 am »
You might try and like some felt around the tweeter.....a ring completely covering the baffle of the tweeter and right up next to the grill.......However, covering the entire top of the speaker above the woofers would probably improve it even more......I know, would not look good.  Very cheap to try....use real woof felt....you only need to use the thin stuff you can buy at any yardage store.  If the felt is too thick it may limit the dispersion of the tweeter.

I actually though of this before the speakers ever arrived at my home.  However I am enjoying them so much as is that it will be a while before I do anything like that if at all.  Much of the black plate around the tweeter is strongly magnetized.  There must be a wide round magnet behind the tweeter and plate.  In the future I may take some black felt and put it around the tweeter on the black plate only.  Would attach the felt magnetically so it could easily be removed with no harm to the plate.  Would not put anything on the wood finish because it is beautiful and already sounds beautiful.  Perhaps Clayton can chime in on this?

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #203 on: 11 Nov 2019, 01:21 am »
@Ric Shultz
Ric, why did you suggest trying felt around the tweeter? Do you think it needs "taming?"

I've not heard the M4 nor the newer models but I am interested in Clayton's speakers for my small, dedicated music room.  The reviews are so positive.  :)

Thanks.

In my opinion is does not need taming.  But many DIY and speaker companies use felt around the tweeter to improve imaging not to tame tweeter.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #204 on: 11 Nov 2019, 01:28 am »
You might try and like some felt around the tweeter.....a ring completely covering the baffle of the tweeter and right up next to the grill.......However, covering the entire top of the speaker above the woofers would probably improve it even more......I know, would not look good.  Very cheap to try....use real woof felt....you only need to use the thin stuff you can buy at any yardage store.  If the felt is too thick it may limit the dispersion of the tweeter.

There could be a minor improvement, but not worth ruining the look of the speaker. Rick forgets that modifications to our products may void the warranty. We spend a lot of time and money developing our products and usually try any number of tweeks, so its not like we didn't think of this. Ric - are you willing to cover the costs of problems that your tweeks (major tweeks like structural or electrical) could cause my customers? How are they to know they will work anyway? How about the impact on resale value?  You are just guessing since you don't own a pair of M3 Sapphires. I would prefer that you experiment on your own speakers, rather than others that have ponied up to buy them. You have been suggesting tweeks on my products for many years now - most of which are in no way approved by Spatial.

Clayton
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2019, 01:33 pm by Spatial Audio »

PS

« Reply #205 on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:44 am »
Thank you very much for your illuminating post, Clayton. Now I understand.  :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #206 on: 11 Nov 2019, 01:56 pm »
  As the Beatles said "Let it Be". They sound marvelous as is.

charles

ric

« Reply #207 on: 11 Nov 2019, 02:52 pm »
I don't know Clayton, I think Mr. Schultz is commenting on taming tweeter sounds in general, and if for some reason (a poor amplifier) someone WANTS to try an alternative (felt) that costs very little and does it in a way that does not damage the speaker except to make it look bad AND it can be removed, then no harm done.
I would not take this as an affront to your product, as much as it's a potential solution to problems that many tweeters have. My (previous) Dunlavy's were treated with felt by Mr. Dunlavy for the reasons Mr. Schultz has given, and you're right, listen to the speakers first then make a decision. And judging from your tweeter choice and what you have said, the problem would likely NOT be the tweeter.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #208 on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:33 pm »
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem. 

Spatial Audio

« Reply #209 on: 11 Nov 2019, 03:49 pm »
I don't know Clayton, I think Mr. Schultz is commenting on taming tweeter sounds in general, and if for some reason (a poor amplifier) someone WANTS to try an alternative (felt) that costs very little and does it in a way that does not damage the speaker except to make it look bad AND it can be removed, then no harm done.
I would not take this as an affront to your product, as much as it's a potential solution to problems that many tweeters have. My (previous) Dunlavy's were treated with felt by Mr. Dunlavy for the reasons Mr. Schultz has given, and you're right, listen to the speakers first then make a decision. And judging from your tweeter choice and what you have said, the problem would likely NOT be the tweeter.

Yes - I agree. The tweeter foam idea is a low risk, easy tweek to do. My point was that Schultz, having an old pair of my speakers, often suggests tweek ideas that my customers should try without knowing the actual effect on my newer designs. He often describes minor changes as a "HUGE" improvement to the sound. This is not helpful and may confuse readers. He offers no scientific support for his assertions. I cannot recall any measurements in frequency response, time domain, vibration measurements for example. Just unsupported statements that are presented as facts. I am always open to new ways to improve products, but we follow a procedural approach to performance improvements that guarantee repeatable results based on testing and listening sessions.

Clayton
Spatial Audio Lab

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #210 on: 11 Nov 2019, 06:24 pm »
Another interesting writeup on the LTA/Spatial/et al room.  Lots of good pictures here:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/11/10/spatial-audio-lta-lampizator-anticables-caf-2019/

I see a post in the comments already about the M3's sounding great.  I personally find it surprising that the low wattage LTA drives the M3 Sapphires so good but they must based on the numerous reports of the excellent sound in the room.  I know my 60 wpc Ragnarok drives them fully and effortlessly.  Will consider an LTA offering down the road.  As of now upgrades are the last thing on my mind.  Just can't wait to get home from work so I can play my Sapphires.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #211 on: 11 Nov 2019, 08:37 pm »
Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Like diffraction perhaps?  :wink:

happyrabbit

« Reply #212 on: 11 Nov 2019, 09:42 pm »
Question : is the full range driver sealed or dipole ?

Thanks 🙏

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #213 on: 11 Nov 2019, 09:56 pm »
Question : is the full range driver sealed or dipole ?

Thanks 🙏
Its not a dipole driver.  Not sure what you mean by sealed but there is no cabinet.  But you can't see backside of the driver like you can the woofers.  I think this pic will help:

ric

« Reply #214 on: 12 Nov 2019, 03:18 pm »
Fact: no speaker manufacturer wants to be told how to improve his product any more than I as a carpenter wanted anyone to tell me how to do my job.
Fact: Mr. Schultz' tweeks work as I DO use his products AND have applied his tweeks....

Spatial Audio

« Reply #215 on: 12 Nov 2019, 03:42 pm »
Capfest Awards came out this morning from AVshowrooms

Spatial Audio, Linear Tube Audio and Lampizator Capfest Room 526
Clayton Shaw of Spatial Audio debuts the M3 Sapphire loudspeaker and talks in detail about his new product in the AVShowrooms’ video. Also, Fred Ainsley, describes the new Lampizator Amber 3 DAC that includes technology from its pricier siblings. Mark Schneider, founder of Linear Tube Audio, impresses us with the Integrated Z10 amplifier that includes a David Berning-designed preamplifier. This entire system is just under $10,000 and punches way beyond that price point and I mean way beyond. This is one of the best systems I’ve heard at a show this year. We played a track from Musica Nuda and the bass was perfectly natural and perfectly integrated with the rest of the frequency response. Lightning-fast transient response delivered a natural and emotionally engaging sound. Audience Audio supplied the power conditioner and cabling was by Anticable. Innuos was the server.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #216 on: 12 Nov 2019, 04:08 pm »
Congrats Clayton!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #217 on: 12 Nov 2019, 04:10 pm »
Fact: no speaker manufacturer wants to be told how to improve his product any more than I as a carpenter wanted anyone to tell me how to do my job.
Fact: Mr. Schultz' tweeks work as I DO use his products AND have applied his tweeks....

I'm not really sure you can say the second bullet is a Fact. All tweaks are subjective, therefore is is up to the listener to determine the benefit. Therefore, not a fact IMHO..........

rockadanny

« Reply #218 on: 12 Nov 2019, 05:20 pm »
I have never seen a product I could not improve in a few minutes of tweaking

IMO, offering a solution in search of a problem (as a previous poster deftly put it) especially when unsolicited (not one person asked for any solutions or tweaks, although even if asked) in a manufacturer thread announcing a new product is in poor taste, regardless of intent. IMO, if you want to discuss a generic solution to all tweeters, then create a thread in another circle such as The Lab or Open Baffles or whatever.

RonN5

« Reply #219 on: 12 Nov 2019, 05:42 pm »

IMO, offering a solution in search of a problem (as a previous poster deftly put it) especially when unsolicited (not one person asked for any solutions or tweaks, although even if asked) in a manufacturer thread announcing a new product is in poor taste, regardless of intent. IMO, if you want to discuss a generic solution to all tweeters, then create a thread in another circle such as The Lab or Open Baffles or whatever.

+1