Pictures of TOTAL LOW WATT SYSTEMS (pictures and brief sentence-no more)

md92468

I have to say, this has been one of my favorite threads ever on Audio Circle. Thanks all for sharing your approaches...fun to read and watch...

arthurs

I have to say, this has been one of my favorite threads ever on Audio Circle. Thanks all for sharing your approaches...fun to read and watch...

Totally agree!

MothAudio

Old school meet new school. On the debate of pairing 3 wpc amp with 93db speakers. I took the plunge and found the combo, especially with the 45, magical. Not for everyone (what is). This was 15 years ago and the pairing has principally caused me to get off the upgrade bandwagon and just listen to music again. The only changes since were dac upgrade and transitioning from physical media.

Silverline Sonatina

Moth Audio s45

Shunyata Research Hydra

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

Schiit Modi Multibit / Chromecast Audio / Sys. Concepts

iFi S/PDIF iPurifier [reclocker - jitter filter]

David Elrod Signature / Virtual Dynamics Nite

Mullard gz32 [1957]

Sylvania 6an4 [1956]

Jupiter copper foil paper & wax .22uf / 600v capacitor [2]

Emission Labs 45

sunnydaze

Nice Moth!   :thumb:

Old original Hydra.......I have same exact one......don't see 'em much anymore.

I also owned the Sonatinas.  Loved those speakers with my 845 SET monos, but I got into a bigger room and needed a bigger speaker.   Would own them again in right room / situation.

Poultrygeist

Very nice moth!

I know you from AK.

MothAudio

Nice Moth!   :thumb:

Old original Hydra.......I have same exact one......don't see 'em much anymore.

I also owned the Sonatinas.  Loved those speakers with my 845 SET monos, but I got into a bigger room and needed a bigger speaker.   Would own them again in right room / situation.

You're the 1st I've come across with the same speaker / PLC. Nice.   :beer:  Hey, Poultrygesit you get around.

-Richard-

After living with a few 45 SET tube amplifiers over the last 12 years and a few different low-priced wide-range drivers for my Open Baffle speakers, I threw caution to the winds and purchased the Lowther Alnico 8" 16 Ohm, PM5A drivers, actually the Ticonal version of the Alnico magnet which has the addition of Titanium in the metal mix, a favorite of Nelson Pass, and the 2-watt Yamamoto A08S 45 SET tube amplifier. I purchased the Yamamoto directly from Shigeki Yamamoto in Japan, and had him install a 15 Ohm output transformer to match the Lowther's 16 Ohm impedance. The media is from a Spotify app streaming on the original iPad mini. I select the highest bit depth. The bass is my old 15" Eminence Alpha 15A driven by the 7 watt TBI Millenia. The Preamplifier is the 'Passive' Lightspeed Attenuator designed by George Stantschef in Australia, which uses Optocouplers LED's.

The Lowther's are about 98 db sensitive, depending on who measures it. So the 2 watts of the Yamamoto A08S, even preceded by a passive preamplifier, is enough to fill my 20' x 28' room with rich fully-saturated sound. The recent addition of the EML Mesh Plate 45's (I have 75 hours on them so far) have pushed the performance to a stunning new level that allows Deborah and I to experience recorded music dangerously close to a live event. Present, tonally rich, transparent, nicely realized textures, dynamic and thanks to the Alnico/Ticonal Magnet, relaxed. This 'system' is the essence of simple and the baffles are small, only 33" high x 23" wide.

Poultrygeist

I harvested these 12" Zenith 49CZ802 alnico drivers ( circa 1958 ) from an old tube console several years ago and they were collecting dust in my garage until I read the "Glow In The Dark" blog below. Paired with my 2a3 SET or even the Volt+ TPA3118 class D, the SQ of these wide band sleepers is jaw dropping. For the time being the Lowther OB's on the opposite side of the room are taking a bit of a back seat to these geriatric wonders. The 49CZ series can be found on eBay for around $30 a pair, that is until the word gets out.

http://glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith-49cz852.html

Poultrygeist

The back view of the Zeniths which I would estimate to be around 98db so a couple of watts is all they need.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

Emil

My K-Hornwalls.  Half K-horn. Half Cornwall.
Quicksilver 300B, Dehaviland Mercury 3 preamp, PS Audio Transport feeding Lampizator DAC. Cabling by Triode Wire Labs

-Richard-

Thanks Opnly Bafld. The deeper I descend into the mysteries (if not the vagaries) of the art of home audio, the more I become aware of the subjective nature of all of this. The value of the DIY (in my case Open Baffle) approach is to give us an opportunity to come a little closer to a 'sound' that is congenial to the music we listen to. I thought I knew what I was looking for, but my present 'system' has taught me that I need to continue to learn as I go along. When the music comes dangerously close to sounding 'real' the heart takes flight and the emotions soar.

A point of possible interest about Alnico magnets: they are affected and have a tendency to lose their magnetic charge by temperature extremes, by being dropped and by age. In the early days of audio, 1940's and 1950's, when Alnico magnets ruled, re-charging was a wide spread practice. There is still at least one company that continues to re-charge in the US.

With Warmest Friendship ~ Richard

-Richard-

Nice simple 'system' Emil. I have a love affair with 'horns' but have never had the chance to work with them yet. Perhaps in the future. The Lowther's are considered at least a partial horn speaker.

Nice Open Baffle design Poultrygeist. I once worked with larger drivers and know how rich they sound. On voice they are incomparable.

Oh yes, after reading several interesting posts about using thin solid-copper magnet wire for speaker cabling, I purchased a roll of cheap 14 gauge wire from Ace ($12 for 100ft.). That is what I am using now, a single thin solid-copper wire from the Yamamoto to the Lowther's and the sound is remarkable.

~ Richard

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I wonder why current Alnicos dont have anymore the good sound as this wonderful Zenith 49?
What kind of paper cone it use?

Poultrygeist

The Zenith 49CZ*** uses a recessed ribbed paper cone which is said to be the inspiration for the highly collectable Diatones.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Thanks for the nice image, I mean say what type of paper?
(kenaf,couche,bouffant,bufom,bristol,chinê,matte,cote,kraft,hemp etc)
Do you think the ribbed cone do the good sound alone?

Poultrygeist

The robust cone material is nothing exotic and the type paper used I haven't a clue. There's no surround so if reforming was ever needed it could be a challenge.

To be 60 years old they've held up extremely well.

Russell Dawkins

I think the surround is the same material as the cone and could last forever, with careful handling.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
The robust cone material is nothing exotic and the type paper used I haven't a clue. There's no surround so if reforming was ever needed it could be a challenge.

To be 60 years old they've held up extremely well.
The suspension is part from the cone, as used in the old days, most current FR have a cloth suspension fully doped.
The famous PHY-HP also use a paper non doped suspension.

frankmalz

My listening area with diy L1 Audionote clones and Seas A26re4 woofer with visaton waveguide and mini fullranger in 85 liter enclosure...