Latest Music Archive: 01/12/03 - 01/18/03

bob82274

« on: 12 Jan 2003, 11:13 pm »
Well I picked up "Love and Theft" by Bob Dylan and Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles.

I had been wanting to pick up some Dylan in the past but wasn't quite sure where to start.  Went with this as I think his voice is suited for the blues.  Its quite good and you should atleast give it a listen.  

Magical Mystery Tour is self explanitory.  Either you like the Beatles later work or ya don't.  If you do then this one has several classics on it.

DeadFish

New Dead Treasure
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2003, 01:44 am »
For those of us who have appreciated the Grateful Dead, I got a real treat from my son called
"Steppin Out With The Grateful Dead - England '72".

"The Grateful Dead" (live album #2) and "Europe '72" have always been favorites of mine for the band when they were at the top of their form, and I could go see them 3 nights in a row.
This new album likewise from their 1972 tour is 'alternate nights', and likewise alternate songlists.  The same good recording of a live performance and more PigPen than we got from the '72 tour before.

I really enjoyed this.  Having caught them way 'back in the day,' this was like a next-nite concert of familiar stuff from a familiar time with familiar but different riffs and such.  For a Deadhead, I cannot think of much better a recommendation, considering it is 4 disks for under $30!

I don't say much around anywhere, but for me this one was a keeper.

Regards,
DF

Beezer

Music
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2003, 02:37 am »
I recently bought Magical Mystery Tour on vinyl - very cool.  The strings on Eleanor Rigby are wonderful.

Purchases in last month:
Johnny Cash - A Man Comes Around (Vinyl)
Led Zeppelin - II (Vinyl)
Frank Sinatra - All The Way (Vinyl)
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (Vinyl)
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman (Vinyl)
Kinks - One for the Road (Vinyl)
Alison Krauss - Forget About it (SACD)
Alison Kraus - Now That I've Found You (SACD
Hot Rize (?) - A Christmas Heritage (CD from Friend)
Cold Play - A Rush of Blood to the Head (CD from Friend)

I have more vinyl on the way from that online crapshoot ... what's it called ... oh yeah, EBAY!!

Beez

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2003, 03:48 am »
Quote from: bob82274
Well I picked up "Love and Theft" by Bob Dylan and Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles.

I had been wanting to pick up some Dylan in the past but wasn't quite sure where to start.  Went with this as I think his voice is suited for the blues.  Its quite good and you should atleast give it a listen.  

I recommend Blood On The Tracks. Some say it's his best.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: Music
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2003, 03:50 am »
Quote from: Beezer
I recently bought Magical Mystery Tour on vinyl - very cool.  The strings on Eleanor Rigby are wonderful.

I have the movie Yellow Submarine on DVD. The Elanor Rigby "music video" is amazing.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2003, 04:02 am »
I just bought The Ragpicker's Dream by Mark Knopfler yesterday.  Although I have every album by Dire Straits, and almost everything else he's done (including Neck And Neck w/Chet Atkins) and am a huge fan, I'm not very impressed with Ragpickers.  Just doesn't do it for me.  I liked maybe half the songs, with a few boring ones and a few that outright stink.  

The album has a lot of Delta Blues inspired stuff, but an Englishman singing them just doesn't work. :?   To me at least, his voice just doesn't really carry these songs.  Worse, the album has no cohesive style or sound, just seems like songs selected and recorded at random.

It's not that I don't like a guy evolving and branching out; he's really gone thru a lot of styles and sounds over the years and I've really dug the journey.  I just think he sorta misfires on this one.

bob82274

Re: Music
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2003, 05:45 am »
Quote from: Beezer

Ummmm... Elenor Rigby is on Revolver.   :? However it is possible that you picked up the US version of MMT.  I have the US version of Rubber Soul on vinyl and its different than my UK version on CD.  For what ever reason back in the 60s the UK and US versions were mostly the same but a couple of songs were different.  If you were to go to the store and buy a Beatles CD then you would be buying the UK version.

Beezer

Corrected
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2003, 06:05 am »
My bad - I have Yellow Submarine, not Magical Mystery Tour.   It's an EMI reissue.

Beez

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:00 am »
I finally had a chance to use the BB gift card I received at Christmas plus a few from Amazon.

Lyle Lovett and his Large Band; self titled.

ring dem bells - Lionel Hampton; collection of early Lionel Hampton tracks from around 1939/1940. The music swings but the quality is about what you would expect for the age.

Hamp and Getz - Lionel Hampton & Stan Getz; sessions from 1954/55. Recording quality is pretty good considering.

Django - MQJ; an early Modern Jazz Quartet recording with the founding members. Quite good and the quality is pretty decent.

Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker - The Classical Jazz Quartet; kind of a modern version of MQJ. Very good music and well recorded. The liner notes indicate it was recorded live to two track analog.

Plays Bach - The Classical Jazz Quartet; as above plus the imaging on this recording is very good. It is very easy to locate the pieces of his drum kit in space. Sweet!

Hot Rocks 1964-1971 - Rolling Stones; abko SACD reissue.

Their Satanic Majesties Request - Rolling Stones; abko SACD reissue.

Hmm.. mostly old stuff this trip. Enjoyable though. :)

Mike

Mathew_M

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2003, 03:40 am »
Found a lot of good stuff the other day record shopping...unfortunately no bargain finds.

All vinyl:
Beck-Mutations
Johnny Cash-At Folsom Prison
R.E.M.-Fables of the Reconstruction
Televison-Adventure
Grant Green-Idle Moments

and several other jazz albums that I can't name off the top of my head.