Power supply question

DavidS

Power supply question
« on: 12 Jun 2011, 04:26 pm »
I have a Moon LP3 phono preamp that uses a mickey mouse little walwart power supply.  I have read that an upgraded power supply does wonderful things for this preamp.  The power supply connector on the Moon says 12 volt dc input.

I also have an un-used squeezebox that Wayne modded an elpac power supply for that says output is +5 volts dc (WM075-1950).  Have no idea - can this be used to power the Moon?  Seems like a long shot.  Guess option is to buy a 12 volt elpac or some other supply and send to Wayne.

Thanks for any info.

Wayne1

Re: Power supply question
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:07 pm »
The WM-075 cannot be changed to output 12 volts.

It is getting harder to find linear power supplies these days. Depending on what the current draw is for your phono pre-amp, you might be able to use a modified ELPAC WM-220. That outputs low current 12 volts and higher current 5 volts. They are rather rare.

I can build you one. It will cost more than finding a used PS and getting it modded.

bummrush

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2011, 07:39 pm »
Could Welborne Labs help out?

DavidS

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2011, 04:11 am »
thanks guys - checked out Wellborne, don't really know them but they have a custom built power supply upgrade they build just for Moon LP3's - perfect.  Just was hoping something could be done with my already modded elpac supply.